E-VW Project. Am I crazy?

Precise1

Ok, so here is history, but I'll try to keep it brief. This was my car when I was in college (25 years ago and nope, not normal), but it had a top and radio then. I 'hardened' it, removed the glass and top, and a friend and I took a month off and drove it to Cabo San Lucas and back (basically as it looks here minus the roll cage).

Straight up street legal dune buggy and I have been dragging it around for 20 years, partially due to 'plans' but also due to the simplicity I wanted to use.

I am at the use or lose point, I can't justify it any farther, even to myself...

*sob*

The plan here is to morph it into an electrc vehicle, something for around town and even local work commutes, being charged by solar eventually.

It is a 1965 VW Bug factory convert that has been frankedsteined a bit, will need new pans welded in, brake system replaced and some creative sheet metal and electrical work to make it happen. I can do most of the work, one way or another...

It will be about $3-4k to pull it off, but we would have a street legal go-kart that can run 60mph/30 miles easy and cost almost nothing to fuel/maintain/register/insure.

Oh, this thing is awesome offroad. It will pull wheelies and skip across mud that trucks sink in...

Should I do it?

024_zps52792c2f.jpg

025_zps92fb189c.jpg

027_zps0504f00a.jpg

B

How about breaking it down into stages and re-evalulate at each one. Say, make it solid, then run electric motor via generator then progress onto batteries.

Actually dont do anything, you'll be expected to sort the purple paving with the bug out the way. Turn it into a BugBQ.

Crazy would be an understatement. This kind of thing is so far outside the box, you can't put it into reasonable logic. So, going with that train of thought, I don't see any reason not to do it. As long as you know that anything you did with it would be a lot of work and money, so it doesn't really matter. I think it sounds like a cool idea, and better than just letting it rot to pieces, doing something is better than doing nothing. And as for platforming goes, what better platform to learn and experiment with on converting to a solar electric car than a VW bug?

To me, it doesn't matter the condition it's in or the fact that it's been sitting, the whole project will take so much work as to completely dwarf any of the cosmetic / mechanical issues, sanity never really comes into it. Atleast we are now living in an age where you've got some baseline tech to start with as far as electric motors, lithium ion battery tech and drivetrains. Integrating those issues and tying into a solar charging array will be more of a challenge than cleaning and straightening the rest of the car.

I'll be following this closely. Good Luck.

How about breaking it down into stages and re-evalulate at each one. Say, make it solid, then run electric motor via generator then progress onto batteries.

Actually dont do anything, you'll be expected to sort the purple paving with the bug out the way. Turn it into a BugBQ.

That makes good sense and is logical, other than the BugBQ part. :D

Crazy would be an understatement. This kind of thing is so far outside the box, you can't put it into reasonable logic. So, going with that train of thought, I don't see any reason not to do it. As long as you know that anything you did with it would be a lot of work and money, so it doesn't really matter. I think it sounds like a cool idea, and better than just letting it rot to pieces, doing something is better than doing nothing. And as for platforming goes, what better platform to learn and experiment with on converting to a solar electric car than a VW bug?

To me, it doesn't matter the condition it's in or the fact that it's been sitting, the whole project will take so much work as to completely dwarf any of the cosmetic / mechanical issues, sanity never really comes into it. Atleast we are now living in an age where you've got some baseline tech to start with as far as electric motors, lithium ion battery tech and drivetrains. Integrating those issues and tying into a solar charging array will be more of a challenge than cleaning and straightening the rest of the car.

I'll be following this closely. Good Luck.

I don't think it is near as bad as you make it out to be. Not only do I know this thing inside and out, it is stupid simple; everything is manual/mechanical, and I am a machinist and shade tree mechanic...

The front end is tight with 10-15k miles on it. I replaced the entire thing way back when. Brakes on an old VW cost about $250 to replace the entire system, lines and all. Interior/rust proofing and seats/sheet metal would be the majority of the work (and the afore mentioned belly pans). Fuel and motor is all gutted already and ready for some kit parts. I would set it up with 6 12 volt lead acid batterys to start with and just make sure the controler could handle additional voltage in the future (other battery packs).

I'm already planning to set up an 'emergency' solar charging system at home and the Bug would be part of it, used as transportation or a power source depending on need. As for base line tech, there are complete bolt in kits, but I would have to go with a minimal base line to justify the entire project. Here is an example that would be cool, but is 2x what I would do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz069B67gAo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3FcScjTjuY

B

Unfortunately, I know exactly where I would start... :D

Battery placement is easy. The stock Bug had the battery under the back seat, and in this configuration it will be a 2 seater with a 'utility tray' spanning the rest (the mentioned sheet metal work). So, 2-4 batteries can go under that without issue, and there is a well/hole where the gas tank sits up front (the fiberglass front end is on a tilt front cage so it opens like an old Triumph) that could be easily used to hold another 2-4 batteries.

I need funds, damn it! P...

B

Okay...let me clarify, I guess...if this were ME doing this project, it would be utter complete lunacy and probably be the cause of divorce, and then it would probably take me ten years to complete it. Not to mention all the research and development required to somehow fabricate a union between some huge electric motor and transmission and solar cells mated to the batteries, all of which I'm entirely in the dark on. Not to mention the clean up and body work. You might as well ask me to build a rocket in my back yard that I could shoot into space.

I'm glad you've got a handle on this! That Re Birth Beetle looked awesome, that thing hauls ass! 2nd gear start, shhoooooommmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The $...

I hate you now. Please go boating and drown. Alone...

B

Coul always make it into a little boat... Bet I can find a way to mount an outboard to it

You aren't helping!

Don't get me started, I would kill for one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lXV3p_c5PU

Okay...let me clarify, I guess...if this were ME doing this project, it would be utter complete lunacy and probably be the cause of divorce, and then it would probably take me ten years to complete it. Not to mention all the research and development required to somehow fabricate a union between some huge electric motor and transmission and solar cells mated to the batteries, all of which I'm entirely in the dark on. Not to mention the clean up and body work. You might as well ask me to build a rocket in my back yard that I could shoot into space.

I'm glad you've got a handle on this! That Re Birth Beetle looked awesome, that thing hauls ass! 2nd gear start, shhoooooommmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again, less effort than you thiink. Most of the work has been done and information kits are readibly available. Check out kit 1 for starters, but read around. It is pretty cool...

http://e-volks.com/about.html

Honestly, I don't know much about electrons, so that would be a learning curve. Not too hard though, it isn't terribly complicated. The solar set up would be at home, but I have considered a 2 solar panel 'roof' for the buggy that would be constantly charging. One thing at a time though... ;)

Body work? Looks good to me! :D

It would get a WW2 German desert camo pattern in rustoleum...

B

Old schwimmwagens rock! It's a smaller german DUKW!

We know what my time comment was meant primarily but in honesty, that's a highly needed factor that you have covered. Gathering supplies (which also requires money) and blue printing are time consuming. The fact this is one of your 'spare' vechiles means it ain't relied on for daily or even occasional use currently so there's no need to half-fast it, a large plus. End result your either gonna have one cool multi use little buggy or be helping someone push it on a trailer to Pittsburgh :lol:

:lol: You want an old VW rolling chassis with a 'new' Brazillian front end, solid front tranny mount, 4 point roll cage, tilt 1 piece nose, and various spiders/insects? Come and get it... (I have a tow bar for it as well)

Why is it my yard has more vehicles than yours??

Yeah, I know, but you hurt me, man... *sob*

Parts/plans are out there, and you are right, it is just a space hog at this point. I could do a 1/2 assed job and it would still turn out awesome, but I'm sure my OCD would kick in regardless. I'm planning on selling the CBR1100XX before it kills me, and that would pay for the whole project easy.

Kind of funny, K wants me to do it as well, but is trying to make rules about it. She just wants to drive it to work (energy management & conservation degree) so she can show off. Biatch! :lol:

I just want to do it from a recycling/conservation stand point, and like I said, I know this thing like my hand and it is the perfect street legal go=cart chassis for local use.

Awe Sheit! I'm talking myself into it...

Step one: Get WD21 on the road

Step two: Get a welder and learn

Step three: I'll talk about it when I get there... :rolleyes:

B

Yeah, I know, but you hurt me, man... *sob*

B

And you know I would never purposefully hurt my west coast (much) older brother to another mother :hugs:

Oh, sure, now you want to hug! Put some pants on first...

Awe, I'll always be there to put your hemet on! :hugs:

:lol:

B

Got any 2/0 wire laying around?? :whistle:

B