I think my starter died.

Before I start, I'm writing this from my phone,on a bouncy, shaky bus, so bare with me.

So, in the last three days or so, my car has had, sort of a weak start, I compare it to the time when my battery had a dirty connection, just doesn't give over as easy as it once did. I think 2 days ago I was at my storage unit, and after unloading what I needed, it wouldn't start up. I think I tired two or three times, nothing, it made, what sounded like a low battery clicking noise so I walked around trying to find a solution, figured I would try just once more at getting it started. Boom, she fired right up.

And this whole time I thought it was a bad battery connection, so I cleaned the terminals, and it still had a slower than normal turn over to start, but it started. So I sort of ignored it, but last night, taking another trip to the storage unit and nothing, wouldn't turn over. Sounded like again, the dead battery, I don't remember it even trying to turn the motor, so we checked the battery, it was getting good voltage, cleaned the terminals and tried to jump it, made the same noises, so we tried to see it maybe it was the starter, so we pop/bump started it, fired right up and drove like normal. So I parked it, and tried to start it again to see if maybe it was a a jammed starter, but I got no noise other than a faint click.

So I think my starter is bad, but I just wanted to see if any of you guys had any other ideas before I buy and replace the starter. I don't feel like the starter is a problem on the VG motors. Idk, let me know what you think it is, or some other things to check, I've heard maybe it's the relay, how do I check for that?

Thanks guys.

-Kyle

Next time it doesn't want to start try banging on the starter and see if it will turn over. Sounds like a dead starter to me. Good idea avoiding the parts store crap.

Yeah after having 4 orielly alternators go out on two differnt cars, im done with anything that comes from behind the counter at orielly's

I still need to actually find the starter and see how hard it will be to try and get out. Or if i should change parts along the way, like my cracked exhaust manifolds. Idk, ill have to crawl around that crampt engine bay and see how easy or hard it may be.

The whole thing thats got me is that i NEVER hear about starts dieing on the R50 VG's, it really bummed me out that my pathy which has never adondoned me, left me out to hang, given it was at my house when it finaly died , but still.

-Kyle

It's a wear item so don't feel bad.

About an hr or so to replace it; it's on the passenger side, look above the oil pan. It goes into the bell housing- I believe 2 bolts and a nut for the cable. Don't forget to disconnect the battery!

while you are finding your starter. (under the Pathfinder, Passenger side, where the motor and trans meet up.) I believe the above comment was correct about 2 bolts that go through the bell housing into the starter. anyways. While you are down there and after you disconnect the battery, be sure to check the wiring from the battery to the starter itself and make sure it is secure and none of the wires are burned, broken or other wise damaged or grounding out on anything. Other than that, sorry your starter died but ya, it happens. I think mine is still original. Seems to be ok so far, "knock on wood"

Have a good one.

Pat

Yeah, I'll check the wiring, corrosion isn't much of an issue around here, but I probably will run new, thicker power and ground wiring.

My new Bosch starter shows up tomorrow, hopefully doesn't take too long.

-Kyle