Deep water submersion with the Pathfinder

Well welll, if I didn't just have a great weekend with some friends planned at the cottage. I ran my Pathfinder as the shuttle truck since everyone else is city-folk and have all of their cars riced up. Now that I've spent the weekend driving through 23-24" of water depth and several hundred feet of it......what kind of trouble should I expect from the Pathfinder??

sent from under Ernest the Pathfinder

First mistake: Don't "expect" any problems - that's negative thinking!

You are driving a WD21 Pathfinder, it is basically a tank without tracks. It is made for this type of duty, in fact, I would be more concerned for your pathy's well-being if you had only driven on dry pavement all weekend. More specifically, I would feel sorry for it.

If it did not die at the time (water ingestion), then a check of your fluids (in particular the diffs as mentioned above, plus tranny and T-case) for water ingress is all you need to do. Google will be your friend for how to perform these checks. If you do find water, it is time to replace seals since this shouldn't happen.

Stock electrical connectors (stock connectors have rubber seals in them, and are mostly placed up high), so likely no problems there. It probably wouldn't hurt to get underneath and pump grease into every grease lug you can find in case anything got washed out.

But I think you have nothing to worry about.

Sorry, that's a habit of being an old car owner.... expect the worst, hope for the best!

As for the grease lugs: that's common practice of a fall tune-up around the east- coast where I grew up and one I still practice in the spring as well! Fluids will be checked tomorrow morning/ lunch hour...

I wouldn't call 24" deep unless footing was uncertain down there (not downplaying it though). Check the diffs/breather lines, lube everything, and maybe repack the wheel bearings if it hasn't been done in a while? :shrug:

The Pathfinders should be able to handle something like that without issue though. Just for next time, if you stall out/get stuck and the water is above the bottom door line , it could leak in and wet the ECU under the seat. Then you have problems! Might want to relocate it...

Why are there no pictures?? P...

B

I was busy driving and everyone else was listing heavily towards drunk.... the only photo I took was the morning drive in with my terrified fiancee!Posted Image

That was seven hours before it peaked and held at its peaked level until Sunday night.... Dad thinks it might be a record high!