Stuck a dashcam in my pathy. I get enough weird material to make a daily "wtf" clip...

PerlNinja

• First off, I was actually eating some popcorn while watching this! :popcorn::popcorn:

• Secondly, thanks for uploading this it was cool to me to see other places.

I could not tell for the first minute if Indonesia drove on the left side of the road or if the roads were all a free for all. The motorcycles do not seem to care what lane they are in or direction they are going!

How many times has a motorcycle hit you? they just seem to jump out and cross your path without any care!

Dont feel bad, they do not enforce fast/slow lane here in Texas either.

Lastly, your truck sounds good!

• First off, I was actually eating some popcorn while watching this! :popcorn::popcorn:
  • Secondly, thanks for uploading this it was cool to me to see other places.
  • I could not tell for the first minute if Indonesia drove on the left side of the road or if the roads were all a free for all. The motorcycles do not seem to care what lane they are in or direction they are going!
  • How many times has a motorcycle hit you? they just seem to jump out and cross your path without any care!
  • Dont feel bad, they do not enforce fast/slow lane here in Texas either.
  • Lastly, your truck sounds good!

Popcorn for lyfe!

Indonesia drives on the left, but as far as your observation goes, motorcyclists generally just don't give a damn. You'll even get the funny f*ckers who end up swapping lens colors on their lights so their rear is white and front is red. And then they'll be going against traffic on your side of the road; proper WTF moment that one.

I've been "hit" by motorcyclists more than I can count; the sheer amount of small dings, dents and scrapes in the sides of my pathy has gone beyond my ability to count. I've yet to actually unseat one or do any damage to motor or cyclist. One thing you learn real fast here is that reaction time can in fact be trained, and it's advisable to grow eyes in every appendage in every direction pretty much.

As far as sounding good, there's mixed opinions. It's just a Z24, but after the header it dumps into a straight 2" pipe, no cat, then to a muffler under the car, then out to the back to a nice dual tipped AMG free flow exhaust. It can, at times, sound like a fart cannon, but at low revs it's pretty palatable. Wasn't my choice but muffler shops here tend to lean heavily towards customisation like this, so if you need a new muffler or new exhaust, this is what you're getting, whether you like it or not :D

I found it refreshing to see so few traffic lights. nothing creates smog like idleing cars. keeping traffic flowing is essential.

here in winterpeg we are plagued by stop signs at almost every intersection. or traffic lights were none are needed or they are timed so you can only drive a block before you are caught at a red again. sometimes it takes 20min to go 2km.

I found it refreshing to see so few traffic lights. nothing creates smog like idleing cars. keeping traffic flowing is essential.

here in winterpeg we are plagued by stop signs at almost every intersection. or traffic lights were none are needed or they are timed so you can only drive a block before you are caught at a red again. sometimes it takes 20min to go 2km.

I cut out all the bits where I spent it sitting in traffic because it's boring as hell, but it's worse here. Yesterday I spent about 2 hours moving 500 yards down to the nearest intersection. That's gotten so common it doesn't even qualify as a wtf thing anymore :D

Will probably have a new one later on :)

Thanks for sharing that! Honestly though, other than some creative lane interpretations, the scooter swarms and that you were driving on the wrong side of the road sometimes, that really wasn't all that bad. I've seen far worse in Mexico...

Keep it up though, I'm sure you'll get some real jems soon enough! :D

B

Wrong side of the road? There's no such thing >.> (we drive on the left here, my car's right-hand drive :D)

Edited by PerlNinja

Boy....I'm glad I don't drive an 18 wheeler over there, it's hard enough getting through Los Angeles, but that what you have going would likely be the death of my ability to remain calm and professional. I'm afraid I would have to run over a scooter or two before lunch every day. Wow !

Boy....I'm glad I don't drive an 18 wheeler over there, it's hard enough getting through Los Angeles, but that what you have going would likely be the death of my ability to remain calm and professional. I'm afraid I would have to run over a scooter or two before lunch every day. Wow !

I haven't actually done that yet, but I've had glorious fantasies about it... some motorcyclists deserve it, you see >.>

I read an interesting article in Overland Journal about driving in India. It seems like there are no rules there and everyone who can afford it, drives dented up fancy cars. but since traffic never goes faster than about 40Kph (24mph +/_) most fender benders never result in injuries. rules be damed.

I read an interesting article in Overland Journal about driving in India. It seems like there are no rules there and everyone who can afford it, drives dented up fancy cars. but since traffic never goes faster than about 40Kph (24mph +/_) most fender benders never result in injuries. rules be damed.

Similar, but not quite, down here. Rules be damned indeed, unless there's a cop watching in which case nobody wants to be the first to break a rule because the cop will want his cigarette money. Then there's the thing that there are in fact pretty decent toll roads on which you get a variety of traffic, just imagine if you will...

- A 6 lane tollroad, 3 one way, 3 the other, with a concrete barrier in the middle. Similar to what you find in the USA

- An 80km/h speed limit (give or take 45mph) that nobody keeps

- Left lane (slow lane) filled with a variety of trucks in various state of delapidation that generally can't drag their old carcasses above 40km/h

- Middle lane filled with faster trucks and anyone that's busy taking it easy

- Fast lane filled with people that want to go faster but can't on account of some of the middle-lane dwellers taking a dip into the fast lane and never leaving

- All lanes occupied by people that are going faster (some ridiculously so) and are basically skipping from hole to hole.

Now add in that during weekends most people that have drivers (and most do, I'm a notable exception as a foreigner that doesn't employ a driver... I want to live, however) and give said driver the weekend off. Sunday drivers mixed in with all of the above will drive you insane the first few months you're driving alone.

Unfortunately the toll roads see their fair share of fatalities; in town it's rarely anything more than damaged panels and pride, on the toll road... well, it's just not pretty at times. Usually it involves minivans with 10+ people crammed inside getting it by way of a reckless speeder or truck. Or drunk drivers, since there is no explicit driving under the influence law here (there's a law against driving whilst distracted which is usually used for prosecution though). Leads to some truly horrific accidents.

For example, a woman called Afriyani spent all night partying with her BFF's, got drunk, took some drugs, and went home through the city doing upwards of 90km/h in the morning; she lost control, and plowed through a group of people on the sidewalk. Or the 16 year old who was given a high performance car by his rockstar dad who lost control on the toll road and ended up pretty much decapitating a people carrier. 8 fatalities. The kicker: rockstar dad blamed the driver of the people carrier and the toll road operator. (note of interest: official age for getting your license here is 18).

Then there's the usual bit of badly maintained buses losing their brakes and going off cliffs/through other vehicles/into houses.

All in all, there's the reason for having a dashcam. To cover my own ass, basically, and god forbid I record an accident on it to hopefully be able to submit it as evidence so the proper people get banged up behind bars for a while.

P.S. I'm aware my own driving style isn't the most civilized either; but that's how it is. When in Rome... you must follow Roman ways, or you'll end up causing accidents real quick.

Dude! That traffic congestion is crazy! Makes me glad I live in the country. I start getting irked if there are more than three cars in front of me. :lol:

That's how it is in Jakarta, it's predicted to be entirely gridlocked by 2020, and it's not far off. It can take over 3 hours to travel 10km or so. Generally I'll jump on a motorcycle taxi (well... just a dude with a cycle who wants to make some cash) if I want to get somewhere fast. The car's mainly used to haul dem groceries, and if I feel particularly masochistic to just drive around.

Want to see a truckers dash cam, you tube under trucker csm, he has some good shots. My wife and I have a full time dash cam in our rig. One day will try and find the video of a horse running down the road at the battle of the little big horn monument, he had a rope around his neck and it had his front leg caught up in the air like a cast, it shows that three legged horse still running around me like I was standing still. He JUST didn't get it, I was trying to help him, finally an Indian cop showed up and freed him. Don't you have cow's running around free roaming? That could be fun, like an elk running out with out warning. Ouch LOL. Keep up the cams and keep your rubber side down.

Want to see a truckers dash cam, you tube under trucker csm, he has some good shots. My wife and I have a full time dash cam in our rig. One day will try and find the video of a horse running down the road at the battle of the little big horn monument, he had a rope around his neck and it had his front leg caught up in the air like a cast, it shows that three legged horse still running around me like I was standing still. He JUST didn't get it, I was trying to help him, finally an Indian cop showed up and freed him. Don't you have cow's running around free roaming? That could be fun, like an elk running out with out warning. Ouch LOL. Keep up the cams and keep your rubber side down.

Thanks! Good channel indeed :D

We get here (next to the road, on the road, etc.) in no particular order:

- goats

- dogs

- small children

- old ladies

- twigs

Okay, twigs might not be a big deal however... a pothole that's gotten a bit too big to handle is usually marked by jamming a branch with some leaves on it into it. Similarly, broken down vehicles usually have a branch with a bunch of leaves stuck to their rear bumper.

As a lifetime Montrealer I have to say that, other than the excess of scooters and lack of potholes, it looks like home to me!!

Seriously though, that is some crazy stuff going on there!

sent from under Ernest the Pathfinder

Great music man, that was cool. This looks just like driving in the Philippines except a little less chaotic and there's no blue two stroke smoke wafting down the street...Nice videos and I like that dash cam, that's cool. What kind of cam is that? Jakarta looks cool man. How's the cost of living over there? Dollar changed into _____ for how many _____ ?? The Philippines is about 42 pesos to a dollar and a typical plate of rice and entree with a drink at an eatery probably costs 300 to 600 pesos.

Great music man, that was cool. This looks just like driving in the Philippines except a little less chaotic and there's no blue two stroke smoke wafting down the street...Nice videos and I like that dash cam, that's cool. What kind of cam is that? Jakarta looks cool man. How's the cost of living over there? Dollar changed into _____ for how many _____ ?? The Philippines is about 42 pesos to a dollar and a typical plate of rice and entree with a drink at an eatery probably costs 300 to 600 pesos.

The music is what's in my CD player in the car :D It records audio too, generally I tend to avoid the bits where I'm cursing up a storm >.>

No blue two stroke smoke? Well, okay, not where I usually go but in town there's plenty. Also black cloud of diesel burps. And... other stuff. No idea what kind of cam it is to be honest, picked it up at a mall for about 500.000 rupiah, which would be about 50 US dollars. It's some made-in-China thing... but good enough :D

Cost of living is pretty good, it's currently (according to xe.com) 11.000 odd rupiah to the dollar, and I can get myself a rice dish with some drinks for about 20.000 to 25.000 - to put it in perspective, an upsized double cheeseburger at McD runs about 55.000 rupiah :)