California smog

Norcal200486

Ok guys tomorrow is smog day number two... List of new parts follows: cat,o2 sensor,cap,rotor,oil&filter,air filter,wires,fuel filter,cleaned MAF SENSOR.(although it wasn't dirty) cleaned egr (although it wasn't dirty) should pass right? Lol

Precise,

I am sure it was the o2 sensor. But like you said smog checks are not cheap. It takes 10 min for me to swap my o2 sensor and cat. Existing o2 sensor was new as well as the cat. I ditched my punched out cat when I lost my low end torque. I am just taking away the chances of wasted money from failing a smog check. I have replaced all of my sensors when I was chasing an eratic idle so both temp sensors were new 3 years ago.

Edited by msavides

Probably more that it needed, but now you have a base line for maintenance.

Now that's no way to talk to your primary wheels and future Jeep slayer! :nono:

Smog done and passed with flying colors. HC:3, CO:.00 and last but not least NOX:2 :) now at the dmv :(

Damn, that is insanely clean! You could safely breathe it... :blink:

B

Ya I knew I was gonna put money in it just not this soon. But it's done. :) and yes it's gonna be a jeep slayer after my 2inch lift. Thanks every that followed this a put ther suggestions.

Well. i just barely passed. my 15mph HC was at 87, max was 88.

This was with my 2 year old cat that was used for about 30 miles and then stored for 2 years, same with the o2 sensor.

I have driven it less than 2000 miles in the past 2 years. I actually did not change the oil before the smog, and I put mid grade fuel (my mistake)

Well hopefully in 2 years I will pass again my correcting with an oil change and low grade fuel. Perhaps some denatured alcohol in the tank as well

The guy at the smog shop kept looking at the "sniffer" thought it might have fallen out I guess

I've had those looks before as well. I just tell them that I do my own work and know my shiet... :D

Well. i just barely passed. my 15mph HC was at 87, max was 88.

This was with my 2 year old cat that was used for about 30 miles and then stored for 2 years, same with the o2 sensor.

I have driven it less than 2000 miles in the past 2 years. I actually did not change the oil before the smog, and I put mid grade fuel (my mistake)

Well hopefully in 2 years I will pass again my correcting with an oil change and low grade fuel. Perhaps some denatured alcohol in the tank as well

Nice! I'm glad you squeaked by, that still isn't bad by a long shot.

I'd bet that if you had fresh oil and ran it down the freeway 20 miles before you took it in for the test (assuming good ignition components) , it would only register 1/2 that.

I don't know it all, but have been dealing with NorCal smog tests for 30 years (and worked at a test garage a dog life ago) so take that for what it is worth.

B

I think you need to drive it more. My grandfather has trouble with his 305 firebird every time because he doesn't drive it much. My pathfinder passes easily. Though I drive it almost every day.

I'm so glad you guy's get to have all the fun, I guess we Washington hicks are missing out on all those fun headaches and stress management moments. I know that at least where I live, there isn't any thing required, heck I even avoid the rapid transit taxes. I guess I just not lucky enough....oh well....LOL :) I don't want to sound jealous or something like that. Just counting my blessing

I've had those looks before as well. I just tell them that I do my own work and know my shiet... :D

I'd bet that if you had fresh oil and ran it down the freeway 20 miles before you took it in for the test (assuming good ignition components) , it would only register 1/2 that.

I don't know it all, but have been dealing with NorCal smog tests for 30 years (and worked at a test garage a dog life ago) so take that for what it is worth.

B

:rofl: Kids

I got my first smog license back when you had to go to the CHP office, the old A and B license

B

I also noted before the smog test that my cooling fans were not coming on. I let the smog guy know this, so the smog guy turned on the heater and ac. ( he had to turn the ac off while it was on the dyno) I am sure that cooled it down before the dyno test and could have something to do with it. I guess I gotta chase down the fan controller gremlin now.

I hate not being able to drive my truck that much, Hopefully once I get the fans fixed I can take it on a few trips per week.

I had not changed the oil since the smog 2 years ago. I use mobile one synthetic and like I said there was only few hundred miles on it from the last smog. The oil did not look dirty. I still should have changed the oil before the smog regardless.

2 more year reprieve on my pathfinder