Transmission / rpm observation.

KLUELESS

O.K. First let me say that I checked the "pinned" topics prior to this post so hopefully I am not breaking any forum rules.

The observation is as follows.... When I first start my morning commute which is very regular I have noticed that my tachometer is reading (approximately) 2250 RPMS for the first 5 miles or so depending on the ambient temperature and then will decrease to 2000 RPMS after that @ 60 miles per hour. I also seem to have an intermittent observation of the RPMS fluctuating between 2500 and 3000 @ 65 MPH. This is not a regular occurrence but is some what bothersome all the same. It is most noticeable while towing my boat and under a moderate load IE up a hill.

Has any one else noticed this and if so is it normal or should I start "teching" it out. I seem to remember someone else posting some thing similar but I can't seem to find the same symptoms.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KLUELESS

You are good.

That would be the torque converter locking up when it warms up and maybe the tranny kicking in and out of overdrive due to the load.

I have to cry foul though. You live in South Florida, there isn't a hill within hundreds of miles... :tongue:

B

I used to worry about mine on cold mornings (-20F up to 0) because it seemed to take so long to shift but it is temp. variable when it does it hit O.D. Does yours have a O.D. switch? If you turn it off for loads or hills it won't keep switching on and off. Mine runs at about 2500rpm till it hits the "right temp" then it's 2000rpm at 58mph all day long.

Thats just the converter locking and unlocking. Especially when towing.

Down here in South Florida we dont have hills. But the highways overpass near every single road they cross. So its a lot of up and down up and down. The 826/Palmetto is the worst of em.

Edited by Rebelord

Down here in South Florida we dont have hills. But the highways overpass near every single road they cross. So its a lot of up and down up and down. The 826/Palmetto is the worst of em.

Seriously? Overpasses? :rofl:

I'll give you 'surface variances' for that but the highest point in the state is about 350ft.

It's all good, just saying... :beer:

B

Thanks everyone for the replies to my post.

I kinda figured that was the situation but it seems as though even when I am running on a flat road the transmission wantS to down shift even after begin at a steady rpm. I guess it's one of those little things that will bother me in the future.

Thanks again KLUELESS

Edited by KLUELESS

This sounds relatively normal to me. Make use of the O/D switch and see if it makes a difference. The trannies in these things are temp sensitive/"intelligent"

Thanks everyone for the replies to my post. I kinda figured that was the situation but it seems as though even when I am running on a flat road the transmission wantS to down shift even after begin at a steady rpm. I guess it's one of those little things that will bother me in the future. Thanks again KLUELESS

What feels like a downshift is most likely the torque converter clutch releasing.

If your vehicle does this at modest speeds and when traveling fairly level roads, then you might have another problem going on. I would expect this if the vehicle is substantially heavier than it should be (are you towing, or have you accumulated 500lbs of equipment inside?)

Is your engine out of tune? Basically it's going to unlock the torque converter whenever the 'load' is higher than a threshold. It measures load by virtue of what the MAP sensor is reading. So if you have a clogged air filter or badly carboned valves or an overly restrictive exhaust (clogged Cat?), or if you have oversize tires on it...perhaps a vacuum leak...the list could probably go on.