Loose shifter

madhakish

Was at the puck and pull this weekend and just happened to be sitting in the driver seat removing the wiper stalk ( more on that later.. ) and found myself reaching down and moving the shifter through the gears and lo and behold - it was tight. Like, crisp. It moved fluidly, and without play, one gear to the next, and once seated felt firmly in place with little wiggle room.. My shifter however feels a bit shaking your grandma's hand - no resistance and probably more play in the joints than is healthy.

My question to you oh great hive mind, what specifically is it in the 5 speed tranny, that keeps the actual shifter lever tight vs. loose and sloppy? I sure did like the feel of that.

Re the stalk, a '94 w/variable intermittent does not work in a '93.. perhaps with some additional wiring, but not PnP..

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

First off, what is a puck?

Second, nice, slightly creepy analogy.

IIRC, there is a plastic bushing in the shifter well that keeps things tight and aligned. I'm pretty sure someone had theirs fail/break on them and they had to replace it. Look at MT-36 of the FSM for an exploded view. It looks like there is a rubber seat, socket, wave washer and spring that all could affect the stiffness and feel.

So it fits, but the wiring is wrong, or it doesn't fit at all? Might be the difference from square to round dash...

B

There are two plastic bushings that affect shifter alignment. One is on the very end of the shift lever (control lever bushing - 32861) and the other is a plastic cup where the ball on the shift lever sits (control lever socket - 32850). There are various other springs in there that may also affect how tight the shifter feels. Be careful when removing the old control lever bushing. It is a serious PITA to remove and if you score the shift lever it will wear out the new bushing quickly. You could always just pull the entire lever/top plate from the good transmission and bolt it in place of yours.

Edited by KovemaN

First off, what is a puck?

Second, nice, slightly creepy analogy.

IIRC, there is a plastic bushing in the shifter well that keeps things tight and aligned. I'm pretty sure someone had theirs fail/break on them and they had to replace it. Look at MT-36 of the FSM for an exploded view. It looks like there is a rubber seat, socket, wave washer and spring that all could affect the stiffness and feel.

So it fits, but the wiring is wrong, or it doesn't fit at all? Might be the difference from square to round dash...

B

Tapatalk on the phone leads to odd spelling errors.. That should be "pick-and-pull".. :)

I might head back there today and take a look at the various parts/connectors in the tranny linkup. I've already pulled all my weather shielding and whatnot to add 2L of tranny fluid through the shifter opening so access is now pretty easy.. Hopefully I can stiffen things up. Will checkout the links and part #'s other sent to get a better idea of what I'm looking at.

Re: the stalk - it's the round stalk w/ rear controls and variable intermittent. The issue is the overall available choices of stalk positions and how they lead to the connectors that lead to the wire harness. Of a total of 8 connectors at the wiring harness, only 5 are actually wired on my '93, and clearly all 8 are being used to make all the functions operate as intended. I made sure to grab the adapter and at least 6" of wire from the '94 i grabbed it from, and it has all 8 wired. I'll post some pics of the two side by side.. I did manage to cross some wires over and get low/high to work, but no intermittent. Rear appears to have a seperate connector that I would bet currently goes to the rear control button on the dash of my '93. My guess is the amplifier is the missing link to getting intermittent working with variable speed control, and if that's just a matter of running 3 more wires, then so be it.

Thanks for the link 3rdtimesacharm! Unfortunately for me this guy had all the wiring in place - I'll still have to run *something* and acquire the amplifier from the vehicle i snagged the stalk from.

There are two plastic bushings that affect shifter alignment. One is on the very end of the shift lever (control lever bushing - 32861) and the other is a plastic cup where the ball on the shift lever sits (control lever socket - 32850). There are various other springs in there that may also affect how tight the shifter feels. Be careful when removing the old control lever bushing. It is a serious PITA to remove and if you score the shift lever it will wear out the new bushing quickly. You could always just pull the entire lever/top plate from the good transmission and bolt it in place of yours.

Looking at the diagrams, I can tell you that 32850 is in fact in good condition, as that's the part that I can see the ball of the shift lever connect to and it's in tact, no play, etc. My guess would be 32861 is shot. Based on the amount of movement, I would be willing to bet the housing for the shift control assembly is no longer tightly coupled to the rest of the assembly. Everything from the snap rings down to the shift control socket the ball of the lever fits into are tight and in good shape but I can't say I've ever ventured beyond that point.

I don't know if any aftermarket companies make these parts for the Nissan, but when my buddies shifter had a lot of play and wouldn't go into all the gears I found a company that made the parts out of Delrin, after installing the parts it was perfect again, the truck was a Tacoma though.

Eff that plastic cup bushing thing, mine failed and I made one from an old socket and a washer I welded together. Snug as a bug

I find myself wanting to replace more and more brittle-yet-important plastic parts with steel alternatives. My door lock mechanism is currently the bane of my existence. Such an important function, felled by such a tiny, crappy little piece of plastic.