Going in to change water pump, timing and thermostat

rbaum94

if teh cam seals are leaking, replace them. Grab some from the local store (shouldn't be very expensive) and you can return them if you don't need them. If it ain't leaking, don't f*k with it. :)

Crank seal as well if you are so inclined, and the bypass hose.

2 schools of thought on the seals: If it doesn't leak, leave it alone and replace them when you are there and they shouldn't leak before the next 100k miles (next timing belt interval).

All depends on your time, $, familiarity and preference...

B

Replace the cam and crank seals while you are there. Definately replace the bypass hoses. No need to go into things twice. Might as well replace the radiator hoses also.

• 3 weeks later...

Whew just did this over the last 5 days!

Put the crank seal in wrong the first time had oil squirting everywhere, whoops lol, So I ended up taking it apart and putting it together a few times I guess finally had a brain fart finding the relief plug for the cooling system but after it's all said and done I am stoked the beast runs smoother than ever. I replaced the water pump (which was leaking), thermostat, both crank and the cam seals (only one was leaking), all of the belts and the fan clutch... definitely really happy with the outcome and happy to enjoy the next 100k or so (somewhat) worry free :)

• Like 1

good wright up :D I need to do everything on my 87 pathy also. The Nissan deal wants 900 to do everything. I don't Know how to do a timing belt or i would. Water pumps and things like that i can do but not sure on the timing. I have the old style 3.0l and if you do have it right it will blow so i,m told unlike the new 3.0l where it just stays out of time.

No, the Nissan Pathfinder VG30 block is basically the same from 1986.5-1995. The parts might be a little different spanning the years, but the method/process of changing them is basically the same and they are all interference motors that will contact valves to pistons if the timing belt is way off or breaks.

B