Vibration/wobble?

RF600

Well I am looking for some help on my wobbly rig. 95 Pathfinder 4x4, manual trans. I have aftermarket wheels.

I have pulled the axles and looked to see the retainers came lose, they were fine.

Replaced the u joints in the rear driveline.

Replaced the center link and had an alignment.

Half shafts replaced approx 1 year ago.

Had the tires balanced more than once just in case.

Wheel bearings were replaced a while ago.

I put the rear on jack stands to possible see if there was a bent axle. Looked fine. While I was there I looked at the driveline, looked fine.

It is not a constant vibration. I feel it about 60 mph. It will start out bad then smooth out, but still there. I think it is coming from the front end. Although I don't know. I am not sure what else could be causing the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas????

Yep, tension rod bushings are possibly part of the issue, but it could be a few other things with a little play as well. The ball joints, tie rod ends and/or idler arm could be part of it.

It vibrates bad at 60 and then smooths out which makes me believe it is resonating, not a constant issue (often attributed to wheel balance). Can you swap some rims/tires just for a test drive? I have a spare set if you are down here again.

Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or more so in the whole truck?

B

The shake starts in the front and stays in the front. It did the same thing with the other wheels on also.

I have replaced the lower ball joints when I did the half shafts. Tie rods are ok, not sloppy. The upper ball joints were ok at that time.

I feel it in the whole truck. Mostly the front.

I have searched tension bushings on the interwebs and there seems to be a lot of issues with them. That is what I will address next. Hopefully it won't take too long to get the parts.

Not sure if I want to order the races before I dive into it, LM67010. There is no rust on the frame so I don't know if the metal behind the bushings will be rotten or not.

^Correct, and moisture does get trapped in there as well. The 3 WD21's I've worked on all needed them replaced and that was with 100-130k miles. AFAIC they should be a 60k maintenance item.

The shake starts in the front and stays in the front. It did the same thing with the other wheels on also.

I have replaced the lower ball joints when I did the half shafts. Tie rods are ok, not sloppy. The upper ball joints were ok at that time.

I feel it in the whole truck. Mostly the front.

I have searched tension bushings on the interwebs and there seems to be a lot of issues with them. That is what I will address next. Hopefully it won't take too long to get the parts.

Not sure if I want to order the races before I dive into it, LM67010. There is no rust on the frame so I don't know if the metal behind the bushings will be rotten or not.

Ok, that helps define it.

Absolutely, see above.

B

I'd try to rule out water in a tire or two. Sounds crazy, but some compressors blow quite a bit of moisture, esp in humid weather, if they're not mantained or blown down frequently enough.

Edit: oops - looks like you've already swapped wheels and had the same issue.

Edited by ThaBigPerm

I ordered poly bushings. I am debating on ordering the races and going that route. Even if I don't have to put them in.

I would assume that the races get welded to the tab that the tension rod goes through? Weld the races on both sides and install the tension rods?

I replaced the tension rod bushings with poly. While I was there I replaced the upper bal joints. The upper joints we not bad. A little movement but not a lot. I took it on a small test drive. I still had a little vibration. I will drive it around more and see if it is better. If there is still a vibration, maybe a new idler arm is in order, maybe a brace?

After installing a brace from a/c my front shutter was much better, after all new tie rods and center link, tension rod bushings and alignment it's riding very smooth. Also includes a 3 inch lift.

After installing a brace from a/c my front shutter was much better, after all new tie rods and center link, tension rod bushings and alignment it's riding very smooth. Also includes a 3 inch lift.

The vibration is still present. I made a brace from some 3/16 plate I had left over. Alignment tomorrow.

Not sure what else I can do except live with it.

Did you check the Upper control arm bolts?

Funny I mention that, I did brakes on my step daughters Tahoe today and she was telling me every time she backs out of the driveway she hears a clunk noise, so as soon as I raised the caliper I saw the upper control arm rear side move, I tried to move it with a large screw driver and it moved, Turns out the UCA bolt was loose !

I had a chance to talk with the guy who did the alignment the things I have talked about the things I mentioned here. He thinks it is drive train related.

I don't know where should I look first. Or what I should look for.

If you feel the vibration in the steering wheel it's coming from the front, if you feel it in the seat it's the rear (typically)

If you are at the speed where the vibration happens and put the truck in neutral will the vibration go away?

Edited by ahardb0dy