The things they can do.

Sparrow

When my parents where stationed in mountain home AFB, ID my dad pulled a broke down (unloaded) logging truck almost 18 miles through the Sawtooth Mountains.

I forgot to mention it was a 93 with a 5 speed.

OK long story short, my dad had a 93 (xe?) with a five speed when I was growing up, my dad and mom and I where going somewhere (I don't remember where) and we came across a broke down logging truck (it didn't have any cargo) and my dad being the person he is stopped to see if the man needed help. The man told us he was fine that he was just waiting for a mechanic to be available to come try and do a roadside fix because none of the towing companies where willing to pull an 18 wheeler through a mountain range. So my dad just nonchalantly was like "I'll pull you out." the guy looked at my dad and the pathfinder and basically said "No offense but I don't think that little truck's gunna be able to do it." my dad just told him to act as his brakes and that he would get him off of the mountains. So they hooked up and my dad proceeded to pull him up the rest of the way up and then out the other side to a flatter more open stretch of road leading to Boise. when they got out of the mountains my dad stopped and told the man that he wouldn't be able to pull him the rest os the way into town because he was burning his clutch up already but at least now a proper tow truck can get to him or a roadside mechanic would be more willing. The guy was shocked that the pathfinder did it (so where we really) and he was just like "thats one bad @$$ truck you got there sir" We towed him somewhere between 15-18 miles.

I don't remember what gearing he was using I was like 7 or 8 at the time. Most of the trek was on flat and downhill roads (still an amazing feat) but some of it was uphill. And thinking about it it was probably 4 hi because of the switch backs, but I don't know. My Dad, to this day, still believes that the pathfinder is the best towing vehicles in its class.

I can tell you don't believe me but thats the point of this thread is to share stories of feats most would deem impossible, and probably would be impossible in anything but a Pathy. I am a firm believer that any of our stock rigs (esp a wd21 or an r50) can do more than most other heavily modded off-roaders.

I wasn't trying to start a "one up the last person" thread.... I can't believe no one on here has seen a Pathy do some crazy shiz. Another example would be that video of the dude driving his Pathy into and over piles of logs, rocks, and other cars and the beast continually getting back up and asking for more. The amount of abuse that thing took and then kept running during that video I would have never thought would have been possible but a Pathfinder did it.

Oh well, I bow my head and concede defeat. Peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uh huh..in 4 low? how? the rig and trailer weigh 5x as much as the Pathy..

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Mr Jim, the founder of the site, towed a broken down tractor/trailer off of the freeway and up an off ramp with his Pathfinder. It was a short distance so not quite the same, but I believe the trailer was fully loaded...

Ahh, here we go...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/23413-save-mrjim-fund/?p=426760

B

Mr Jim, the founder of the site, towed a broken down tractor/trailer off of the freeway and up an off ramp with his Pathfinder. It was a short distance so not quite the same, but I believe the trailer was fully loaded...

Ahh, here we go...

B

I get an error on that link.

I do stuff with my truck off road, now, that I doubt it'll make it through, but it does. Body is worse for wear, but I'm having fun doing it!

Oh, and getting stuck in a bog, and me being me, I don't want to get out to hook up a strap. So... 3500 RPM's and switching back and forth from D and R. Someone funny to hang my head out the window and watch the wheels go from one direction to the other without hesitation.

As a disclaimer, I don't recommend doing the above.

Haha my friend drives a poor runner and he revved to like 2500 in neutral .and dropped it into gear and ended up shredding something in the diff I think it was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh, here we go...

B

Yeah I'm getting a broke link to.

But if it was loaded then I think that that's even more impressive.

Strange, it works for me...

Ok, do an advanced search for 'Kenworth' with MrJim as the author. It'll come up...

I get an error on that link.

Oh, and getting stuck in a bog, and me being me, I don't want to get out to hook up a strap. So... 3500 RPM's and switching back and forth from D and R. Someone funny to hang my head out the window and watch the wheels go from one direction to the other without hesitation.

As a disclaimer, I don't recommend doing the above.

See above and

Agreed!

B

Craziest thing I've done (never been stuck and I'm not much of a mudder), was rescue 4 mountain bikers- out of water, about 85* while riding uphill, and in over their heads. Them and all their bikes fit no problem. :D

On another excursion I pulled a lowered Scion XB off a local beach. Said he was parking "Southern Californian Style, bro"...

• Like 1

Strange, it works for me...

Ok, do an advanced search for 'Kenworth' with MrJim as the author. It'll come up...

B

I think that you are trying to provide us peons a link to the private admin/mod forum. It tells me that I don't have permission to view that thread.

I think that you are trying to provide us peons a link to the private admin/mod forum. It tells me that I don't have permission to view that thread.

:lol: I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't have permission to look at it.

It is in the announcement section. Here is the entire post...

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:20 AM

fleurys, on Aug 18 2009, 06:49 AM, said:snapback.png

I don't know you Jim, but hope to maybe one day shake your hand in person after I pulled you out of the mud pit ! hahahaha

I would appreciate your being there just in case, but my Pathy has rarely had to be pulled out of anything. :) Thats the truth.

I remember one time when a semi was broken down on I5 in Everett and he was dead center of all the the lanes. I asked him if he needed help. He laughed. He told me he was loaded with 80,000 lbs of cargo and although he appreciated it, he didn't think I little Nissan would be able to make it even roll.

SOOO, I told him I could try. I backed up to him, hooked up, hit 4-Low, and I took him up the bridge and down the other side to an exit as hard and fast and it would move and it moved. He was speechless and in shock when we stopped. He told me his truck could barely take off that fast by itself carrying a load and insisted on looking under the hood. :)

Score 1 for Pathfinder - 0 for Kenworth. = :itsallgood:

Edited by MrJim, 18 August 2009 - 08:21 AM.

B

I know his truck has a manual gearbox. With an automatic, I know it's only for a moment, but with 174ft/lb of torque doubled by the transfer case in 4-lo to 348ft/lb of torque. Couple that to a 2:1 ratio torque converter, and that's rougly 696ft/lb of torque off the line. Don't mind my simpletons math.

I've tried to do a couple 2-lo launches, the brakes just aren't strong enough, but first gear is gone in only a moment.

I also do not recommend doing the above.

Oh well, I bow my head and concede defeat. Peace.

What are you talking about? What defeat? I never attacked you or tried to push you off your position, I was just trying to wrap my head around what you were saying and no, I didn't believe you...but that's my problem, not yours. And after reading the archive post from Mr. Jim provided by B, I'm more inclined to at least give it an "Apparently Plausible" while still remaining in dis-belief.

Would I ever EVER try this with my truck? NOPE. I'm totally afraid it would destroy it in the process if it were successful. I guess I treated you a little harsh and for that I'm sorry, I didn't mean to belittle you. I'm not one of these haters that has to flame everyone out regarding whatever they're doing or talking about. Anybody can become a big man sitting there behind his monitor and keyboard, that's not my way.

I wish I had an incredible story for you that my Pathy has gone through. While it has been through some pretty rough conditions and surprised the hell out of me when I though I was done for, I wouldn't label any of them amazing or unbelievable. For me I just respect my truck solely for the ability to take my family and our gear on a long drive safely there and back without breaking down and it's a 20 year old vehicle. And even in it's stock configuration it can do all of the above plus escape offroad over curbs and through ditches and never blink an eye.

Also I am happy I can pull a two seater jetski up to the lake and drop it in the water, take the family and go play at the lake for a day, even a two or 3 hour drive one way and then go home..that's cool...I'd consider THAT amazing.

That wasn't directly geared towards you, at the time of that post there had been like 50 something people that looked at this thread and only two had commented, you and someone else, and like the other guy said I thought this thread was over. So I just decided to bow out than to sit and try and argue my case or bring life back to the thread.

And I wouldn't ever try and do it in my truck either even though I saw it happen personally. But I appreciate and accept you're apology, it gets hard sometimes to convey your actual emotion through the words you type on a computer and things tend to come across wrong.

But hey for being a 20 year old vehicle that can still reliably get you and your family into and then OUT of some $h!t you'd never think it could, I think thats pretty amazing. Still though, I think a Pathy is one of those rare vehicles that is able to do whatever you ask of it; whether it's towing a fully loaded semi up an off ramp or taking you to the lake to spend some quality time with your family.

Don't ever apologize or make concessions for being yourself or presenting an idea that you deem valid. Even if in the back of your mind you're starting to have doubts about it, don't let others see that from you. If you feel you made a mistake, don't announce it or say anything, just don't continue to push the subject (life goes on); but don't apologize when you've done nothing wrong. All that does is open the door for others to abuse and take advantage of you.

And if someone does criticize you and you DO feel a 100%, stand on it dude, do not let someone else flame you out when you know you're in the right and NEVER give in to those assholes that just try to push you around. The worst thing you can do is apologize when they are the ones who don't even know what they're talking about and no ground, not a leg to stand on. Of course there are times when a more mature, more experienced person may correct you in something, and in that instance yes, of course you should defer to their wisdom, hell I've had some of those things happen to me on here but that's cuz I'm hard headed but I know the difference between a jerk and a wiser man than myself.

Stand up for what you believe and I promise you others will flock to support you. These times we're living in, everyone is dying for a thread, an ounce of Leadership and when they see it, it's an undeniable positive force that people are compelled to uphold.

Edited by gv280z