New Toyota TRD trucks = Our trucks bone stock

gv280z

My main point in this post was I wanted to show you the cute little "Offroad" course the Toyota execs had setup at the auto show to highlight the new TRD package 4Runner and Taco trucks. This little track that they built, it's pretty funny, they say in the article that the trucks suspensions have been raised "as much as 2 inches"! the trucks have armor, A/T tires and some opened up exhaust.

The track they built, the least of our trucks could go around, easily. I myself took my truck through more than this while it still had 235/75/15 highway tread tires, in 4wd through real mud!! Any one of our stock trucks, from the factory could get round it, and except for the log portion, I'm pretty sure my Nissan Altima could get round it too! The funniest thing is the little pools of 1 1/2 foot deep of muddy water they drive through, that's so cute! Some corporate types just don't get the real world, the true reality of things out here in the field with the end user, they build this weak sauce little track to show off their trucks...pretty funny.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/02/06/toyota-getting-down-and-dirty-with-new-trd-pro-series-trucks/?intcmp=features

I just watched it again and heard $5000 ! That's what they're charging for the offroad package!

Edited by gv280z

Yep, pretty damn lame. I have no idea what that 'course' was supposed to illustrate other than the wheels don't fall off it they get wet.

Our bone stock R50 with 175k miles and a sagging suspension would run that track the same as any of those vehicles. The punch line is ours came stock with a skid plate (not considered an 'upgrade') and we only paid $4k for it, not $40k. :rolleyes:

B

Haha! I guess they wanted to show what the trucks would look like if it were to ever encounter a dirt hill or a pool of muddy water for real...yeah, it's pretty embarrasing, I can't even figure out what kind of A/T tires those are, I automatically thought they would be BFG A/T KOs but they weren't. What did Toyota spend $5000 on here? The rims and tires are around $1000, bilstein shocks with resevoir and lift is another $1000...that just leaves armor....right? I guess it's possible to spend another grand on armor, but i'm really thinking like $6 - $800...so we're knocking on $2800 roughly, what would cost another $2,200 ? They didn't include a winch! WTH?

Oh, I see...I forgot about the opened up exhaust and aggressive body kits. No winch, no bumper, no roll over protection.

Edited by gv280z

That track is useless. When is Whistler last summer, they had a track for the 2013 Ruby, Cherokee, and Wrangler. It had mogul's, a 30 deg. climb, rocks the size of the tires and a tilt area. It seemed lame but it is way better than this. At least you got to hit the skid plates with the jeep.

Well you can only do so much at an AutoShow, though jeep has an excellent display every year. They even get some tires off the ground...

as for the trucks themselves...

Fancy offroad packages are what sell. They make a TON of money at them. Thats why Nissan started doing it too. Our trucks all came with LSDs, Skid Plates, and excellent off-road skills, but 95% of the population didn't care, and all it added was extra cost, weight, and maintenance. You'll notice starting with R51/N40/D40 - you have to get a package.

So now the consumer gets what they want, a lighter cheaper, less complicated vehicle, and for people that actually need offroad ability, there's a package for that..for which the company can charge you boku bucks.

The new Toyota Pro Offroad package is just like that goes a little in the right direction by adding some capability, but people attempting to compare it with the Raptor have no idea what they are talking about.

Most people just buy Raptors cause they look cool, and so do the new TRD's. The difference is the Raptor has some SERIOUS capability built in...major modifications that make a huge difference in performance.

Edited by Inyourface1650
  • Like 2

I think that I should point out that what most people are not considering is that the dealerships and car companies are also putting the price of the installs in on these vehicles. Hell I have seen the price of install be almost 2x the price of the actual item that is being installed. Lets not forget that.

James

They have a little more kit than some people are giving them credit for- revised spring rates, remote res Bilsteins, bigger tires, skidplates, unique body work, exhaust mods. Basically the first things you would do to upgrade one of these trucks to improve their capability for my SoCal environment. That said however, I think it's a gross overstatement to compare it overtly to the raptor. Granted, it's better off than a lot of TRD/PRO-4x packages, but it's not had the complete reworking the Raptor received. And even the Raptor is overrated IMO.

Of course the course they ran at the auto show is weak, but one would have to expect that considering there's a crowd of people standing near by, and if there was one mishap it would be in the news. Our trucks among others would make it easily, but out in the dirt, for washboards especially, that Tacoma/4runner/Tundra would take my lunch money. And I'm ok with that. B)

http://www.expeditionportal.com/toyota-other-models/2843-toyota-officially-unveils-trd-pro-series.html

In terms of pricing, keep in mind they're in business to make money. And I would take a TRD-Pro taco over one of these anyhow.

Let's JUST wait till that New Titan comes out with a v8 Cummins diesel. We have been waiting for the next generation of real Nissan truck. I think it'll be able to take on any of the big three plus Toyota.

• Like 1

Let's JUST wait till that New Titan comes out with a v8 Cummins diesel. We have been waiting for the next generation of real Nissan truck. I think it'll be able to take on any of the big three plus Toyota.

Ask and ye shall receive :)

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/02/06/diesel-nissan-pickup-explores-new-frontier/?intcmp=obinsite