How Do I make It a True 4 Wheel Drive?

mikestewart395

Yesterday I left the office for lunch and decided to go explore the woods behind the business center here. I seen a Jeep creep out of there a month or so back. I found an awesome mud pit. I did a 3 point turn to go back the way I came...then it happened. Stuck. One back wheel was buried, the fronts were not deep at all. For some reason the one front wasn't enough to pull me free.Of course I have no winch, it's been on the wish list for a long time. I worked to free it from 3 pm until dark last night. I left it in the mud all night. I had to work early so it is still in the woods as I speak(or type) After a long time thinking last night, my only option is to jack each corner up and and fill the holes with dry dirt and pine straw. I will go round and round until that damn back axle is out of the mud. My axle anchor. I was furious with a capitol WTF that the wheels that were sitting on level dry ground were the ones not turning. Basically it's not 4 wheel drive, it's still 2.

My question is what do I have to do to make this a True 4 wheel drive, you know, when all 4 wheels actually pull?

manual hubs won't effect both front tires from turning together, if the diff is still a limited slip of some kind, you would need a locker in the front for both tires to drive all the time, a full time locker would raise hell when turning and driving on the road so either an ARB air locker or some other type would be better.

• Like 2

He has an WD21, front locker would have no effect on the road in 2wd. Also it may be an open rear. If you are open front and rear, a traction device in either diff would be a night and day difference. The Lokka is available for the r200 front and is relatively inexpensive. Lockright for an open rear, but it has a few drawbacks on the road.

you need to watch these videos.

Not to sound like a jerk, but there is more to off road driving than just shifting in to 4x4 and giving it lots of right pedal. and you can still get mighty stuck even with differential lockers.

getting stuck is always a learning process. you learn the limits of yourself and your vehicle.

there are a few simple rules to wheel by that can keep you out of trouble..

1. Drive as Slow as Possible and as fast as Necessary.

2. If it looks deep it probably is.

3. Never wheel alone.

4. Always have proper recovery gear on board.

• Like 5

"He has an WD21, front locker would have no effect on the road in 2wd."

That's true, My mistake I just woke up ! LOL

Mike do you know if your rear axle has the LSD (limited slip) sticker on the rear axle?

And I know there is more to 4 wheeling than slamming on the gas. It's a learning experience, I am learning. Lesson I learned last night, I need a winch and a high lift jack. No more wheeling until I get that. I have to go alone as I am the only person I know that has a 4x4. Only other option to that is to buy a Jeep and join one of those snazzy clubs....not.

Edited by mikestewart395

Watch the video Bushnut posted.

A 4 wheel drive has power sent to the front and rear wheels. Each axle has a differential which splits power, typically to the wheel with less resistance. I'm assuming you had one or two wheels free spin in the mud, with the other wheels sit still. This is what happens normally.

As Bushnut said, there is more to wheeling that shifting it into gear and gassing it.

To solve the issue you have, you will need to add locking differentials, spools, or limited slip differentials. Search here or elsewhere for the rundown on what's what. With differential modification, everyone has an opinion of what's better. The fact is, it's a matter of what works for you.

As stated, to get all four wheels spinning, you will need lockers or limited slip in each of your differentials. A lot of guys, including myself, run a rear locker(mechanical) and manual locking hubs. This actually gives you three wheels locked. Locking the front differential can make it difficult to turn, so a selectable locker is best. But I will say, driver experience is a big key. Working the truck back and fourth to get unstuck, turning your wheel left and right to work for traction are all basic techniques to help get out. Sometimes, a good tire will help a ton. Getting stuck isn't a bad thing. You just need to learn from it.

As for a winch, well, there is a lot to go with it, and it can get spendy. Having a hi-lift jack and be used as a winch, just takes longer. Sounds like you need to figure out what kind of wheelin you wanna do on a regular basis. I've seen fully built rigs get stuck.

And I know there is more to 4 wheeling than slamming on the gas. It's a learning experience, I am learning. Lesson I learned last night, I need a winch and a high lift jack. No more wheeling until I get that. I have to go alone as I am the only person I know that has a 4x4. Only other option to that is to buy a Jeep and join one of those snazzy clubs....not.

Don't despair. I'd have a look at some of your local 4x4 clubs. Not all of them are JEEP ONLY. I'd look into the ones that encourage stock wheeling as apposed the ones that only go out with super modified rigs. Quite often you will have to meet certain vehicle requirements. Ie: up to date safety and licensing, fire extinguisher, recovery gear, etc.. more often than not you'll meet some great guys and learn from their experience.

a winch can get pricy..but you can do lots with a HI LIFT and a shovel.

maybe some MT tires are in your future?

If I understood well, rhe front wheels were on solide ground but didn't turn. Right? That happens when you are riding on 2wd, and only engage 4wd when you are stuck. That way the autohubs wont engage. with manual you can do that. But the best for me is when the round is not tarmac use 4wd.

Along with all the advice above, you can get a cable come along and good straps to keep in your truck to help you get out of stuck situations. I have used a come along to get a full size Ford pu unstuck with a simple 5k model, double the line up for 10k line pull. Till you can get a winch it's a lot cheaper and lighter to lift/carry. Harbor freight list them from $15/50. I think you would like the results when your alone and stuck.

• Like 1

If I understood well, rhe front wheels were on solide ground but didn't turn. Right? That happens when you are riding on 2wd, and only engage 4wd when you are stuck. That way the autohubs wont engage. with manual you can do that. But the best for me is when the round is not tarmac use 4wd.

That is exactly what happened. The trail wasn't deep and I drove back and forth across it several times, 2wd was good enough. Then I backed up to turn around and backed right into a mud soup hole. I tried putting in 4wd and couldn't pull free.

stuck_zps8db88c58.jpg

• Like 2

I think at that point the rear axle was probably sitting on the ground, too far stuck to put it in 4wd and get out most likely.

Mud creates a lot off suction that's why you need a winch rated more than what the truck weighs

• Like 2

Ahh. Lol, it was tough digging in it. Thank god I brought a big board to act as a footer for the jack. The Old Man is free now. I am putting together a recovery kit this week. After my house move in 3 weeks I will save up for the winch. Badlands has them on sale in area for $300 12,000lbs. Not sure if that is a good brand. I can't spend 500 on a Warn. Kids and other responsabilities prevents that.

• Like 1

I have a shovel I use at work that was specially designed for digging in mud, as you found out, when you go to take a shovel full of mud out of the ground you get suction that makes it difficult, we deal with this all the time repairing water main breaks.

Here is what I have, works great no suction,

2j30hsk.jpg

They don't give them to us, I won my first one, the original company that invented it used to give one a way every month, than my wife bought me one, works great and even works good in sand, very light

same principle applies to the shovel in mud as to tires in mud, but a tire is bigger than a shovel so a lot of suction resisting trying to be pulled out, LOL

• Like 1

I hear that the Harbor Freight Badland winch is a good buy for the price, hopefully you won't need it too often to burn it out. ;)

Another budget winch is this one, the Smittybilt XRC8. I was able to get one for $250 when there was a sale...

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-Winch-Accessories/XRC8-8-000-lb-Winch.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pn=S%2fB97281

B

That shovel is AWESOME!!!! Any links to order it?

That winch looks good for the price. $300 shouldn't get me a beating from the wife too bad when I pull it out of the account. She actually helped me dig the Old Man out. After an hour and it was free on day 2, she said "I think you need one of those rope wheel thingies" :lmao:

• Like 1

Wow, that's a good stuck! I can't say a locking rear would have helped much. A winch and a tree saver for sure though! Hard to say if there was a tree there that would handle 8-10k pounds worth of pull though. The truck only weighs 4k but being in mud like that can essentially double your vehicles weight when attempting to pull out.

That winch looks good for the price. $300 shouldn't get me a beating from the wife too bad when I pull it out of the account. She actually helped me dig the Old Man out. After an hour and it was free on day 2, she said "I think you need one of those rope wheel thingies" :lmao:

Yep, certainly not the best, but good enough and far better than nothing! :D

That is one way of getting the ok for a winch, hand the wench a shovel... :lol:

A winch (you have to have some where to mount it) and this kit will see you out of most situations you will realistically get into.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-Winch-Accessories/Recovery-Gear-Kit.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=124&t_pt=5155&t_pn=RUG15104.25

B

That shovel is AWESOME!!!! Any links to order it?

I have the "Hazard Fraught" 12,000lb winch & it is pretty good. It's worked fine the couple of occassions I used it (one practice & one light weight pull), I know some guys that have had them on their Heeps for 2-3 years & not had a problem. I must admit, I did get the 3 year extended warranty just to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

Well since this is your thread and you asked, The shovel was invented by Toolite, but they sold the rights to another company who proceeded to jack the price up, they are not cheap, never was really but here is a link to the company, they come in round point, square, trenching, short,long handle fiberglass or wood handles, I have a short and long round point, both with fiberglass handles.

https://www.midwestrake.com/products/tool-collections/toolite-collection/1/