HELP :D My beloved 94 Pathfinder 4x4 won't start

Paulsgirl

I bought a 1994 Pathfinder in October on 2013. I love this truck ALOT. My sweetheart commutes to San Francisco everyday as a millwright and my pathfinder is what I use to haul all 4 of our kids and 2 grandkids around, plus all the shopping and errands. I am the "Get er' done Girl" in the family and I NEED my truck running, Plus I really LOVE it.

It has always run great for me, but this morning when he borrowed it for work it wouldn't start :( it isn't clicking, but is spinning instead and won't start. Any help is good help please

If you can hear the starter run but it doesn't turn over, sounds like the starter isn't engaging the flywheel (or wherever the starter engages on in a pathy, never bothered to look >.>) - not sure how complicated of a fix that is but IIRC a friend of mine once solved it with a BFH and a few whacks... but that was a temporary thing.

+1, if the starter is spinning and the engine isn't, the starter is more than likely the issue. Mine did that once (the one-way clutch in the starter died) and it made a horrendous squealing noise instead of starting the engine.

If the engine is turning over but not catching, then there are quite a few things it could be (with varying degrees of seriousness). Let us know what it's doing and we'll go from there.

I would try tapping on the side of the starter gently using the end of the jack rod, ( should be under back seats), if the truck starts like normal the bendix ( the part that is pushed out when cranking and engages the flywheel) may have been stuck, if it starts after tapping but the next time it doesn't I would just replace the starter, do your self a favor and try to find a NEW aftermarket starter or get one from Nissan locally or from Rob on the forum, Rob ( post before mine) works at a nissan dealer in Texas and gives members good discounts,

Let us know what happens if you do as I suggested

hey guys thanks for your welcome and your help :-) we went and tapped on the starter and it started right up. so we were able to get home. I am of course a little afraid to drive it now for fear that I will be stranded with the kids. looks like I better start shopping for starter...Rob if you can give me a price for good deal on one that would be great. I will of course price some here locally as well. is there a difference between the solenoid and the starter? it doesn't look like it's that hard to get to but I could be wrong

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk

hey guys thanks for your welcome and your help :-) we went and tapped on the starter and it started right up. so we were able to get home. I am of course a little afraid to drive it now for fear that I will be stranded with the kids. looks like I better start shopping for starter...Rob if you can give me a price for good deal on one that would be great. I will of course price some here locally as well. is there a difference between the solenoid and the starter? it doesn't look like it's that hard to get to but I could be wrong

The solenoid is built in, you'll need to replace the whole unit. It is a difficult job in a 4x4 equipped Pathfinder. Easiest to do if you can remove the passenger side motor mount, which involves having something to support the engine from the top. If that's not a feasible plan of action you need to shimmy the starter out of the front. Essentially you work it pass the motor mount and underneath the alternator. Installation is reverse of removal.

Good luck! :aok:

Nissan Part Number: 23300-88G01R

Description: STARTER ASSY

$204.06 (NISSAN LIST: $299.29)

plus

CORE CHARGE: $60.00 (refunded when old starter is returned)

Shipping about $14 for ground 3-5 day insured. Next day shipping $30 or so depending on zip code. Weight is 10 pounds.

This part is still available from Nissan. It will take me 1-2 business days to get it from the regional warehouse.

I just want to be sure I have the model correct. this is a Nissan Pathfinder SE V6. will that be the same part and difficulty level to replace?

I just want to be sure I have the model correct. this is a Nissan Pathfinder SE V6. will that be the same part and difficulty level to replace?

Yes, that is correct.

well considering all that rides on me be mobile. that would be something very good for me to know. I'm not exactly tool shy. how do I do it in case I get stuck

The solenoid is not part of the starter, it is attached to the starter and is available separately if one chooses to replace just the solenoid.

I speak from experience on buying a rebuilt starter for my 94 PF ( and my old 87 hardbody I used to own), buy a new aftermarket starter or OEM only.

As for the difficulty, let's just say you will curse a lot !!

If the starter is original which it could be, I would replace the whole thing, it may look like you can replace the solenoid without pulling the starter but there are parts inside that have to line up or it won't work, so if you have to pull the starter might as well replace it.

Long story short on my problems with local rebuilt starters, bought one, worked sometimes, ordered another one was supposed to be new from somewhere else, wasn't new, returned both and bought a brand new one made by Pure energy from rockauto.com ( they also have a 5% off code that can be found on the forum), works perfect.

The starter is a pain to remove, some will say they can get it out quick, I pulled mine and re-installed it 3 times, and I can say it's not easy. If the truck has a body lift it is easier.

The starter is easy to un-bolt, a long extension and a swivel from the back ( looking towards the front), the two bolts are pretty easy to get too. Disconnect the battery first so when you remove the hot wire on the solenoid (the thick wire) it doesn't hit metal and arc. One plug to remove from under the shield on the starter ( if it has the shield), the rest is maneuvering the starter to actually get it out, last time I removed mine from the front, I dropped the idler arm to give my self more room ( 3 bolts)

really good advice thank you :-) that gives me a lot to think about between shop and doing it home. not big on 295 dollars for the labor for 3 hours...but sometimes its worth it right. I will of course replace it when I have to :-) especially if ninja tells me how to start my truck without the starter in case of emergency.

is it a automatic or manual? Manual you could push start it if you ever had too, I did the starter relay mod on mine when the starter first started to act up and it went a year before I had to replace it.

If the starter ever starts to just click you can tap it as I said previously while someone turns the key to start it, that usually works, just don't beat the crap out of it, ! LOL

this is the one I bought, from rockauto.com :

http://prntscr.com/2o4srp

Edited by ahardb0dy

well considering all that rides on me be mobile. that would be something very good for me to know. I'm not exactly tool shy. how do I do it in case I get stuck

I think hardbody already answered it but I'll throw my 2 cents in, I was assuming you have a manual, if it's an automatic this won't work but...

If you find yourself stuck without starter, either you whack it like you did before, if that doesn't work then:

1) Find someone (or multiple someones) that can push the car

2) Hop in, gear in first, ignition on, clutch depressed

3) Get people to start pushing

4) When you're moving at a decent clip, just let the clutch pop up (don't gently lift off, just.. wham! foot off)

5) ???

6) Profit!

At step #4 the car should start, if it doesn't get people to push harder ;)

If you have an automatic, then what, put the air conditioner belt around a chainsaw motor and hope for the best? :lol:

Mine's on its second Carquest starter. My uncle did it the first time, my dad did it the second (about a week later), and I didn't hear a single good thing about the experience from either of them. Apparently taking out the oil filter and the heat shield (on the starter, protects the wires or something) lets you get it out past the transmission fluid lines. Remember to put the filter back on afterwards (we forgot and made a hell of a mess). We didn't bother putting the shield back on; the mounting holes were different on all three starters (the original and both replacements), and having modified it once already, there wasn't enough metal left to drill. That was a year or two ago and I've had no trouble from the starter since.

I've heard it's easier on a manual trans truck because you don't have the trans fluid lines running right in your way.

Whether to do it at home kind of depends on how much you like working on it and how patient you are. Shouldn't need any special tools.

Whoops ! Sorry, forgot to mention about removing the oil filter, that helps !

I actually was able to get the starter out one time from the top, but I had to pull the inner fender out slightly to make a little more room.

Edited by ahardb0dy

hey guys thanks for your welcome and your help :-) we went and tapped on the starter and it started right up. so we were able to get home. I am of course a little afraid to drive it now for fear that I will be stranded with the kids. looks like I better start shopping for starter...

I have driven around for over 6 months having to do the occasional tap routine before the starter actually totally failed. Not saying to ignore it, especially if getting stuck is a problem, but my experience is that in this failure mode they tend to die slowly.

Sometimes they just need a good cleaning and re-brush but that is more work and risk...

The solenoid is built in, you'll need to replace the whole unit. It is a difficult job in a 4x4 equipped Pathfinder. Easiest to do if you can remove the passenger side motor mount, which involves having something to support the engine from the top. If that's not a feasible plan of action you need to shimmy the starter out of the front. Essentially you work it pass the motor mount and underneath the alternator. Installation is reverse of removal.

Good luck! :aok:

It wiggles out the front if you just watch and turn it appropriately. It's like a puzzle, or a key and tumbler, you just line it all up right. :D

My friend says he took it out the top, but I didn't see exactly how. I never touched the motor mounts and don't recommend that for most people.

The alternator is on the drivers side on a VG30, starter on the passenger.

B