ford explorer headlight lens in a pathfinder?

thorpe991

so i want to put in hid lightsbut want the projector head lights lens and nobody sells them and jdm ones are impossible to find i was looking at a 96 or something ford explorer that i was parked net to at Walmart and they look the same but the explored is plastic and is split into different sections and the corner lamp is hooked to the headlight instead of separate.

has anybody tried to fit them into the pathfinder ?

summitracing.com has projectors for the explorer for $312.97 ( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ann-111132/overview/year/1997/make/ford/model/explorer) or just after market ones for $149.97( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ann-111039/overview/year/1997/make/ford/model/explorer )

i will be more than willing to go to my local jy and pic one up of the stock ones to try it if no hasn't yet

maybe you could just remove the lens from the mount and hook it to the pathfinder mount (just brainstorming if the mounts are different) i know that the wiring would have to be spliced into to fit the ford lights but they use a 9007 and the pathfinder uses 9004 and they have the same plug so mabey not

Edited by thorpe991
  • Like 1

so i want to put in hid lightsbut want the projector head lights lens and nobody sells them and jdm ones are impossible to find i was looking at a 96 or something ford explorer that i was parked net to at Walmart and they look the same but the explored is plastic and is split into different sections and the corner lamp is hooked to the headlight instead of separate.

has anybody tried to fit them into the pathfinder ?

summitracing.com has projectors for the explorer for $312.97 ( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ann-111132/overview/year/1997/make/ford/model/explorer) or just after market ones for $149.97( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ann-111039/overview/year/1997/make/ford/model/explorer )

i will be more than willing to go to my local jy and pic one up of the stock ones to try it if no hasn't yet

maybe you could just remove the lens from the mount and hook it to the pathfinder mount (just brainstorming if the mounts are different) i know that the wiring would have to be spliced into to fit the ford lights but they use a 9007 and the pathfinder uses 9004 and they have the same plug so mabey not

With deep enough pockets it can be made to work. Wiring is different from a 9004 to a 9007.

If you look up the 9007 and the 9004 they have the same end : http://betterautomotivelighting.com/2012/08/13/difference-between-9004-and-9007-bulbs/ but in that it shoes the prongs mean different things so by switching pins it would be easy

The same could be said for any dual filament headlight bulb.

• Like 1

The same could be said for any dual filament headlight bulb.

well i was just getting at that the way they hook to the lens and how they plug in is the same so

Could work if you don't mind the fugly factor. :lol:

well there are other ones on there those are just the ones i liked and if it does work its alot cheaper than getting jdms imported and having to put the updated front end on

this weekend its suposed to warm up to 37-40 deg here in ny so i plan on going to the local jy and tearing one out of a explorer and seeing if it will fit in one of the pathfinders that is in there

Edited by thorpe991

well i was just getting at that the way they hook to the lens and how they plug in is the same so

well there are other ones on there those are just the ones i liked and if it does work its alot cheaper than getting jdms imported and having to put the updated front end on

this weekend its suposed to warm up to 37-40 deg here in ny so i plan on going to the local jy and tearing one out of a explorer and seeing if it will fit in one of the pathfinders that is in there

a 9004 and 9007 are slightly differently. The way the filaments are set and the lock tabs are placed in the opposite position. Basically you can't easily make a 9007 fit in a 9004 housing. And the beam would be all jacked up from oppositely set filaments.

What I recommend, and it's only slightly less ugly than Exploder lights, is to swap out your headlight buckets for the similar body style pickup headlight buckets. This allows you to run any type of H4 replacement housing that fits in the american standard sealed beam. Which I believe there are some after market projector lights in the 7x6 size.

Here is a picture of my truck with ebay hardbody grill and aftermarket H4 headlights, not projectors.

228957_262473977102298_6989095_n.jpg

What you need is the grill and headlight buckets from a Hardbody pickup, you can see the Pathfinder corner markers, but Hardbody ones "fit" the grill better as it's of a slightly different design.

I think you'd have better luck retrofitting a projector housing out of something else, and hopefully get hids along with it. I'm thinking a q45 or BMW. May need a clear lens, but the cutoff should be appropriate.

Edited by Karmann
  • Like 1

I think you'd have better luck retrofitting a projector housing out of something else, and hopefully get hids along with it. I'm thinking a q45 or BMW. May need a clear lens, but the cutoff should be appropriate.

https://www.google.com/search?q=q45&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&imgil=91gUC0omnCg0XM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcThkrzLsfYBvz1wGvq5gYad7LHcXYqRB2q73OlHFan_IuJkzVmd%253B1024%253B768%253BCCcKZCSFrgCJxM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.q45.org%25252F&source=iu&usg=__KUZdWhN0nBGw-6KzoDXfPXqAgxs%3D&sa=X&ei=J7PrUoiQBcWdyQH6yoCwDQ&ved=0CDkQ9QEwAg&biw=1280&bih=933#imgdii=_

is this what you mean by a q45? and i think the lenses wouldn't be tall enuff to fit

a 9004 and 9007 are slightly differently. The way the filaments are set and the lock tabs are placed in the opposite position. Basically you can't easily make a 9007 fit in a 9004 housing. And the beam would be all jacked up from oppositely set filaments.

What I recommend, and it's only slightly less ugly than Exploder lights, is to swap out your headlight buckets for the similar body style pickup headlight buckets. This allows you to run any type of H4 replacement housing that fits in the american standard sealed beam. Which I believe there are some after market projector lights in the 7x6 size.

Here is a picture of my truck with ebay hardbody grill and aftermarket H4 headlights, not projectors.

228957_262473977102298_6989095_n.jpg

What you need is the grill and headlight buckets from a Hardbody pickup, you can see the Pathfinder corner markers, but Hardbody ones "fit" the grill better as it's of a slightly different design.

im not talking about putting 9007 bulbs in my housing im talking about taking a explorer housing and putting that in my pathfinder the explorer housing uses a 9007 bulb

so tomarro i head to the jy to tray and Frankenstein a pathfinder in the yard with a explorer headlight ill take pics as i go haha so ill be spending like 2-3 hrs in the yrd :)

Edited by thorpe991

What I was suggesting is to Frankenstein a q45's hid housing in, the part of the headlight with the projector beam only. Certain generations had them I believe, or a j30 could be a good candidate too. You'd have to buy an hid conversion kit, but it would be a hell of a lot brighter than just a bulb upgrade.

• Like 1

What I was suggesting is to Frankenstein a q45's hid housing in, the part of the headlight with the projector beam only. Certain generations had them I believe, or a j30 could be a good candidate too. You'd have to buy an hid conversion kit, but it would be a hell of a lot brighter than just a bulb upgrade.

so like take the glass lens off the pathfinder housing and put a projector in it?

so like take the glass lens off the pathfinder housing and put a projector in it?

Yes essentially. I've seen it done on the face lifted pathfinders, and it seems relatively easy. Are there clear lenses available for the pre-facelift r50s?

• 3 weeks later...

mine are clear but i think they have the like edges cut in them for light displacement or whatever it is ill cheak tonight and i went and tried the head lights the mounts are slightly diff but with drilling in the mount it would work but they are different shaped and would need the for grill which will also fit with slight modification

I wasent looking to just go to the stock explorer headlight I was going for a aftermarket projection headlight so I could run hids with out the blinding affect of running them in normal housings and yes they are the uglyist as stok but some of the after market lamps don't look to bad

Projector threads straight into the hole for the stock bulb. It gets secured with a locking ring from behind. You can buy adapter plates that fit into the stock globe position that set the orientation straight so that your cut off lines are level, but mine were a bit off and I had to manually align them.

See retrofitsource.com - there is heaps of info on there, their site has become much more informative over the past year.

When I started doing retros it was a matter of screwing projectors into housings and praying it came out straight. Nowadays they have kits for pretty much everything - the hardest part is getting up the courage to take your lights apart.

• Like 1