T-Case

TXPower

Pulled my T-case today from my 93 SE. It's hooked up to a 5sp tranny. The tranny was grinding shifting all the way thru third gear and reverse so I know it needs synchros and possibly bearings.

Question, what can I do to inspect and check my T-case to see if it needs any service or rebuild? Oh, I did search.

Thanks,

TXPower

I seem to remember reading about someone replacing a bad seal on one, and then there's this guy's chain, but other than that I don't remember reading about many wear issues with these. If it's not leaking, the oil doesn't come out with chunks in it, and the shafts move when they're supposed to, I'd assume it was fine.

If you do decide to pull it apart, the FSM has full disassembly instructions and specs for tolerances.

Slartibartfast, thanks, yeah I read that guys chain thread. The PO had ATF in it, much to my surprise until I read some threads on here about that being an option. The T-case was probably the only thing that wasn't greasy and grimey or leaking underneath my rig. When I unbolt it from the tranny I will give a better visual inspection and check for bearing howl and unacceptable play. If those aren't present, I'll assume its all good.

Thanks,

TXPower

I seem to remember reading about someone replacing a bad seal on one, and then there's this guy's chain, but other than that I don't remember reading about many wear issues with these. If it's not leaking, the oil doesn't come out with chunks in it, and the shafts move when they're supposed to, I'd assume it was fine.

If you do decide to pull it apart, the FSM has full disassembly instructions and specs for tolerances.

I will second that. The transfer cases are well designed and stout, so not many issues or problems reported.

Here and there a leaking shaft seal. That chain thread is one of two major internal issues I can ever recall. The other being a transfercase run hard with no oil in it at all, which doesnt count as that not normal operating conditions.

Adamzan, rebuild or replace is yet TBD. I read that dudes thread on beer garage I think it was where he chronicles his tranny rebuild. I have the FSM and have some pretty decent mechanical skills but wow, that looks like a lot of moving parts and I just don't know if I'm up to rebuilding myself. So then the question is pay someone to do it? My hope is to find a decent used 5spd with or without the t-case, price depending obviously. If the price between paying for a rebuild which requires just synchros and maybe some bearings and purchasing a decent used 5spd are close and a rebuild comes with a better warranty, probably a rebuild. Unless someone legitimately can say rebuilding my tranny is a job that really is manageable and wants to encourage me and answer tons of PM's and phone calls while I'm doing it that is.........

From advice on here I'm fairly certain I had decided to look for a donor 3.3 from the non-interference strain placed in the Mercury Villager, unfortunately, that plan rules out buying a 3.3 already attached to a 5spd tranny, like say from a late model Pathy or Frontier or Xterra. Still open to ideas.

From the advice so far, I think my t-case is fine and serviceable.

Thanks,

TXPower