My JDM Projectors ARRIVED!

Everyone is at different places in life...to some 500$ is food that month...to some its headlights.. right now fort me, thats food. But in another 5 months once university is done, 500 will be play money. Stay in school kids. Technology pays a lot! Lol

• Like 1

You spent 500 dollars on headlights? I cant even begin to fathom that

Do I even want to ask how much you've spent on all the different tire sets we've seen on your rig? You have had, what, 6 different sets?

And yes it agree with you. The price went a lot higher on price than I initially thought. When I saw the lights at $110 each, I thought I was getting a pretty good deal. Then shipping. Commission, it all added up.

But to me, this is my forever car. So I don't really care how much certain things cost if it enhances the car to my liking (there is a limit to that of course).

I was reading threads about these lights from five years ago. They were going for $2000 then. So $500 doesn't seem so bad huh?

But I really like them, I'm a huge fan of OEM parts, because they are designed to highest standards when compared to aftermarket. Plus an HID projector retrofit is $800! And there is no guarantee that will work as well as factory designed parts...

Anyway, I'm on a bit of rant. I did my research, these are they best value for the result I'm after...

-Kyle

I was looking at cars last night on carmax and noticed an infiniti Q45 had that same switch for the level adjustment, think it was a 2002,

here is the pic:

You are correct, that was originally the switch I was going to use, but I found out that the switch I need is a 6 pole switch not the 4 that comes with the q45`s. The headlights i have react to change it voltage provided by the switch, where as the Q45 switch, runs the lights based on resistance and reacts accordingly. But I found the US spec STI'S come with the switch I need. So I'm chasing one down as we speak...

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

Im sitting by waiting on your Headlight updates! I know they are going to look good.

Are there any other places besides that Japanese yahoo to find parts like those?

its very difficult to navigate it :(

You can find older model lights on ebay, but they are SUPER expensive, just use the reference link i posted earlier and Google chrome, it automatically translates into something bare able, then you have 2 different models of terrarno's you are searching for,

Terrano テラノ

LR50 (early model as well)
TR50 (diesel)
then just go to headlights and search for LR or TR, then find something with pig tails and corner lights, email them to jesse streeter, pay the money, and 2-6 weeks you'll have them.
-Kyle

But, an actual update, i got my leveling switch.

Came slightly broken, but the guy is sending me another one. Karmann the picture of the switch may answer your question, but it basically allows me to change the height of the headlights as I drive.

11988297006_243041c56b_c.jpg

But check this out, this switch came out of a 2005 Subaru WRX STI, look at the logo, haha...

11991453605_de604c6627_o.jpg

11992262286_6d41304f2a_o.jpg

But, pretty much all i have left to source is another leveling plug, low beam, and side marker, but friends in japan are super helpful, hopefully he can find me some parts from an S15, lol

-Kyle

I have this switxh that came with my pre facelift terrano projectors

6e8e6enu.jpg

sepesyje.jpg

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

THATS EXACTLY WHAT I ORIGINALLY WANTED!

Look like the exact same plug as the STI switch i got, which is great, means i dont need to find a harness in the event i need to switch it out something, think you could locate another for me in the event i need it?

Wow that's really interesting! Why have a switch with something you could do automatically? Odd, but neat, hope it all works out.

So that when someone cuts you off you can flash some 4500K HID's at them without using your high beams...

That is A) The real reason i want them in and B) talking to a friend of mine who had an STI, that was all he used it for! :lol:

-Kyle

So that when someone cuts you off you can flash some 4500K HID's at them without using your high beams...

-Kyle

That's what 100w high beams are for. They light up the world, I love them in my truck. Much cheaper than what you're doing too! haha

Haha, much cheaper,

But even on top of that adjustment, i'm going to run HID's in the High Beams, the hard part is going to be finding either, a kit or making an OEM HID work in the high beams housing.

So that way i can turn them on and have them instantly charge, my buddy put a set of low end HID's in his high beams and they take so long to charge that they are insanely impractical for use in the high beams, 6-8 seconds before they are at their full brightness (they were VERY cheap), where as my dad's 2002 Acura TL Type S, its lights take maybe a second to be fully on, that is what i would want for an HID.

If i cant find or make a solution that fits that need, some freakin' bright halogens will do. Plus i'll do the mod to make the high's and low work together, sort of a stupid regulation to make the low beams switch off when you turn the high beams on. Because the only time you are going to use your brights, or should use them is when you are on a dark, unlit road and need MAXIMUM visibility, so why would you want to turn off lights that would aid it giving additional visibility? :shrug:

Anyway, just ordered another leveling plug, high beam and maybe another low beam and side marker, well see, but the bulk as a good deal when all i really wanted was the adjustment plug.

But that's all i got in terms of an update, other than i got my un-broken adjustment swtich, but you all know what that looks like...

Next is going to be tracking down body parts. If anyone finds black front end parts, let me know, if the price is right, I WANT THEM!!

-Kyle

My opinion on HIDs is that they are dangerous. For both the driver of the vehicle with HIDs and the other motorists on the road.

I wouldn't have a problem if the roads everywhere were perfectly level, but the frequency of having two spots burning my retina's in a similar fashion as to when I stare at the sun on a nice day is not my ideal way of driving at night. Case in point, diptwat had HIDs that were right in face, so I flipped on my high beams. He returned the favor, and I'm glad he did! Because his high beams were halogen's so I was able to see!

You might consider me an asshole but I flip to my high beams for EVERYONE who has HIDs, whether it's factory equipment in the vehicle or not. They are too hard on passing motorists, and they make the very front of your vehicle too bright as a driver. Your mind subconsciously (read: you don't control it) focuses on the ~20 foot section of road directly in front of the vehicle, instead of off in to the distance.

They should be illegal.

source: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/disadvantages/disadvantages.html

I've passed some newer rigs with proper HIDs (or what I assumed were HIDs that weren't blinding. A few of them are pretty bad though... I suspect it's because the light is so concentrated where it leaves the lamp, unlike a standard reflector setup where it's spread over a larger area. There's much less tolerance for misalignment.

I ran across a Chevy part on a surplus site the other day that ties into the front suspension to automatically level the HIDs... seemed like a good way to do it, but also a lot of special equipment to support a headlight bulb.

I've passed some newer rigs with proper HIDs (or what I assumed were HIDs that weren't blinding. A few of them are pretty bad though... I suspect it's because the light is so concentrated where it leaves the lamp, unlike a standard reflector setup where it's spread over a larger area. There's much less tolerance for misalignment.

I ran across a Chevy part on a surplus site the other day that ties into the front suspension to automatically level the HIDs... seemed like a good way to do it, but also a lot of special equipment to support a headlight bulb.

Similar things can happen with halogen's yes, but, it's not near as disabling as being forced to look at the arc of an HID bulb.

Yeah, that's what BMW's do. I had a friend with one and everytime he started it, the lights would dip super low and come back up.

My opinion on HIDs is that they are dangerous. For both the driver of the vehicle with HIDs and the other motorists on the road.

I wouldn't have a problem if the roads everywhere were perfectly level, but the frequency of having two spots burning my retina's in a similar fashion as to when I stare at the sun on a nice day is not my ideal way of driving at night. Case in point, diptwat had HIDs that were right in face, so I flipped on my high beams. He returned the favor, and I'm glad he did! Because his high beams were halogen's so I was able to see!

You might consider me an asshole but I flip to my high beams for EVERYONE who has HIDs, whether it's factory equipment in the vehicle or not. They are too hard on passing motorists, and they make the very front of your vehicle too bright as a driver. Your mind subconsciously (read: you don't control it) focuses on the ~20 foot section of road directly in front of the vehicle, instead of off in to the distance.

They should be illegal.

source: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/disadvantages/disadvantages.html

I agree, HID's improperly installed can be quite annoying, but my mom taught me a trick early on when i started driving, to avoid the "deer in headlights" effect, and what you do is stare at your outside white line and that will help you to focus off the bright lights coming at you, and keep your vehicle in your lane. Use it ever time and hasn't failed me yet.

But banning them is something i'm not quite prepared to say i support, they have their advantages, i think more strict regulation from the manufactures is what needs to be put in place, and if the manufacture insist on installing HID's they should be required to have an auto leveling device, and maybe even something that would allow the lights to react to inclination as well, 90% of the time i get blinded by on coming HID's is when a driver is cresting a hill.

That would be cool and while i could probably figure out an auto leveling system, i don't think it would be worth it. I've seen a euro 240sx version of these lights with what i assume are the same style of leveling motors and they are sort of slow, so having a suspension dependent headlight leveling would be impractical to how slow the lights move up and down. almost hazardous to the driver.

But i had a question for some of the wiring guru's on here,

I de-pined all of the plugs because i got another set of DRL/turn signal leveling and high beam pig tails from the guy who i bought the STI switch, turns out the STI uses all of the same plugs (For the most part, the DRL plugs is the same style but wont directly plug into the Nissan DRL plugs) as the Terrano JDM Xenon lights.

And i'm using alot of the STI wiring guides to de-pin them, and my concern is there any reason that the pin outs would be different between the cars? i know its two completely different companies, but how many manual adjustment headlight motors can their be, especially ones that use the same adjustment wiring?

Does anyone object to me testing this out by just running all of my wiring together off a battery and seeing if all of my connections are correct? i really want to try these out...

-Kyle

I have been searching for some kind of wiring guide for a while now. My terrano projectors came without bulbs or plugs, and the switch I posted with a harness. Getting the headlights to work shouldn't be abig deal, but I really want to figure out how to make the leveling switch function correctly.

I have been searching for some kind of wiring guide for a while now. My terrano projectors came without bulbs or plugs, and the switch I posted with a harness. Getting the headlights to work shouldn't be abig deal, but I really want to figure out how to make the leveling switch function correctly.

Well i found it be the mere grace of god, and in the most unusual of places, so i can understand the frustration of searching for some diagrams.

Pm me on where to get the S15 and STI parts/plugs from (if you still need them,), but here is what i used for wiring help.

Firstly

This page was great for figuring out what wire when where.

http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/jdm-sti-hid-6-pin-2416.html?amp;t=2416&highlight=jdm+leveling+switch

and for matching Subaru colors, i used this very lovely and helpful Subaru OEM diagram

Capture_zps83db7de1.jpg

The colors are different for Subaru so if you end up scoring some 6 pin adjustment plugs off a Subaru, those guides will make perfect sense, if not here is what i BELIEVE the Nissan colors correspond to from the OEM pig tail that came on my JDM projectors

Again, these colors below should correspond to colors that will appear on the JDM 6 pin adjustment plugs that will come from a wrecker in japan...

Black = Ground

Pink with light blue stripe = Power

White with green stripe = Position 0

Black with reddish stripe - Position 1

Black with light blue stripe = Position 2

Red with white stripe = Position 3

That is the plug colors i was given with one of my projectors, the other plug is out an STI WRX, so the colors match the diagrams above.

Again, i have yet to test this, i deduced that simply from matching pin locations from the Subaru diagrams and copied them over to the Nissan plugs. Im stilling waiting for someone to tell me it will be okay to plug everything up to a battery and check my wiring, i just need to know it will be okay.

High and low beam should be pretty obvious so if you cant figure that out, step away now!

And then then the side markers are sort of up in the air depending on what you have. While i was able to get a hold of a Subaru STI plug that uses the exact same layout, the pin configuration and sockets are way different and cannot simply switch over, you'll have to cut the Subaru 3 pin plug off its loom and solder it to the Nissan side markers, again, its pretty straight forward, i'm fairly certain that everything after the female plug is the exact same colors, black, green with black stripe, and green with white stripe, the only difference between the Nissan and Subaru plug is the Subaru plug has ground in the center pole and Nissan has it off to one side, so again, it SHOULD just be matching colors.

And then for my Niles Nissan switch that came in a Subaru, the colors are printed on the diagram, so if yours are different, go the first link and then match pin locations, im fairly certain that pin 1-6 should do the same for your switch even if the wiring colors are different..

Hope that helps

-Kyle

Quick question for wiring...

Im going to order some relay and fuses, what should i get?

I read some of the older threads on how to wire up some JDM projectors, and they are using some generic wiring kit and some 30A realys. Im assuming that will work?

Also, i just ordered one of these

ATCfusedist_sm.jpg

So i can get power to the relays directly from the battery, what amp fuses should i put in there?

Thanks

-Kyle

This is where you need MATHS!

Low beam headlights are normally on a 10 amp circuit. Low beam headlights are around 55 watts. multiply that by two and you get 110 watts. On a 12 volt system with a 10 amp fuse, that allows for 120 watts.

W(atts) = A(mps) x V(olts)

So 10 amp for low beam, 15 amp for high beam, then figure out how many watts the electric motors in the levels require

I've got the maths and came to the conclusion under the same assumptions, but its just that assumptions, i'm just triple checking, but you are correct, 10amps all round, since the bights will be 55W HID's

And i just emailed the guy i bought the 6 pin connectors from to take a picture of the fuse box diagram to see what size Subaru used for, so that should put that one to rest, i completely forgot to fuse that..

Thanks for the reminder, first time wiring up anything like this before...

-Kyle

Alight, so I've made some small progress.

I went to this place called "all battery sales and service" out in Everett, WA and first thing i have to say is DON'T GO THERE, use their online store, way easier to shop around, good deals on wiring and such, just do not set foot in their "store".

Anyway, here is all that i got.

12227287994_6cbb0df395_c.jpg

Couple of relays, bunch of different gauge wiring (color coded!!) and some other misc stuff, still waiting on my female spade's and fuse panel.

I've also got some braided wire looming coming to keep it clean while its under the hood...

I also made a "wiring diagram" to best of my abilities, let me know if you see anything wrong...

12227286744_b7a38b80ab_c.jpg

Excuse my awful hand writing, but basically, i followed this guide http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/33824-jdm-light-install-on-the-r50/

Hopefully it all works, once everything gets here, i'm going to wire it in to my stock headlights, check that everything works, that way all i have to do when i get all of the sheet metal, is just change the connectors and plug them in.

Also, I've decided not to go with HID's in the high beams, just going to stick with the factory recommended 60W or whatever halogens, just wire them so i can have Xenons and highs at the same time. The reason being that i could not find an HID kit that has OEM like charge rate, that was reasonably priced, so putting anything else that couldn't charge quickly would be completely pointless for a high beam application.

But until i get around to getting some money for updated pathy parts, i'm sort of at a stand still.

-Kyle