Some transmission questions

adamzan

I got a few questions before I finish my HD xterra tranny swap

1. Should I loctite the bolts that hold the TC to the flexplate?

2. Can someone tell me if the sump gasket can be changed without removing the oil pan?

3. I might have lost one of the t-bar snap rings, is this something I can buy somewhere other than the dealer?

4. Is the xterra transfer case shifter the same as the wd21 one? I would prefer to swap it before I lift the tranny up into the truck

Okay thanks, I bought some loctite today. B, I found the other snap ring, and also discovered we do have a fastenal here, good to know!

Ran into another snag, I broke the speed sensor trying to get it out of the old transfer case, I guess it was stuck in there pretty good, there wasn't even a bolt holding it in. So I'm hoping the xterra one will work for now, even if the speedo is off a little.

Yea, if you don't get the vent lines from the xterra, you'll need some longer hose, no big deal. But my trans came with everything. All the fluid lines and connections/bolts are the same. The filter and pan gasket are the same as the wd21 one.

Other things that are the same:

-transfer case shifter

-neutral safety switch

-trans line banjo bolts

-trans mount

-slip yoke

-all other connectors other than the ones I mentioned above.

There is a sub harness that connects to the speed sensor and 4wd light sensors, you need to use the one off the wd21 trans as the plug is different at the engine bay side. No big deal, took 2 seconds to plug into the new tranny. There is more than enough length in the harness to reach the plugs under the hood.

I have a bunch of pictures I can post as well. They don't show everything but it will give people a good idea of what you need to do to get it in/out.

That is good information Adam. Attach what ever pictures/descriptions you want. We can rename, prune or even merge with another thread to make a comprehensive version. You know the drill, we want your intel! :D

B