Water Pump

Superkirby

I think its my water pump that has started making a lot of noise. It doesn't sound good. I thought it was my power steering pump at first, but closer inspection and it appears to be coming the water pump. As I understand it, if I have to change the water pump I might as well change the timing belt.

I was going to get this kit. Is it my best bet or can I get better/cheaper parts elsewhere?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-95-Nissan-Pathfinder-3-0L-V6-SOHC-VG30E-Timing-Belt-Water-Pump-Kit-/400441521876?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1995|Make%3ANissan|Model%3APathfinder&hash=item5d3c2cb6d4&vxp=mtr

Thanks.

That is remarkably cheap, so I don't think you can find a better price, but you can get better quality.

Just for comparison, see what all that would add up to here for factory Nissan parts.

Two notes, make sure it isn't your idler puller bearing making the noise and if you change all that stuff, make sure to change the thermostat and bypass hose at the same time.

How old/how many miles is your timing belt?

B

I would not trust the life of my engine to an unknown timing belt. Its the only part in that kit whose failure has the potential cause immediate catastrophic engine damage.
For this reason, I exclusively run gates or OEM timing belts no matter how poor I am.

Rockauto has a Gates timing belt/water pump/tensioner kit for less than that E-bay one, $76.79, no it doesn't contain the cam or crank seal but they are inexpensive to add and would probably bring the price up to the E-bay kit with known quality parts. Plus the 5% discount with the code.

Looked around on Rockauto. I can get the gates water pump and a different brand belt that comes with the seals and has a better warranty, plus the bypass hose for $65 and change before shipping. I don't know about a 5% discount code, but I'd be ok with using it if someone wants to share with me. I'm going to order the parts probably tomorrow.

I actually just got the thermostat a couple days ago and haven't had a chance to change it yet (I have almost no heat). I was wondering about idler pulley but it's seems awfully loud for something like that. I guess I should check that out. Or... I just looked and I can get one from Rockauto for 13. Maybe just tack that on as well.

Sorry, I forgot this link in my post.

http://www.factorynissanparts.com/Partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214081

The 5% discount code is for NPORA members, it is listed in the Classifieds/Vendor section in a thread.

The timing belt is the most important part to have quality, and as was said, Gates and OEM is a good idea. Warranty doesn't mean much if your pistons kiss your valves... :shrug:

I've had a Nissan idler howl like hounds of hell were under the hood. You just have to track down the source...

B

Thank you very much for all you help. I will get everything ordered this morning and so hopefully it ships tomorrow and then I should have it Thursday.

Precise1, based off your description I'd bet it's the idler. I was talking to a buddy and he asked me to describe the noise. Best I could come up with was trying to rip a cat in half.

All that said, I'm still going to order the whole shootin' match. I planned on changing the timing belt and water pump in the spring anyway. I have to change my thermostat before it gets any colder, if that's even possible. I don't know when the belt was changed last, so might as well get it done instead of draining the radiator twice.

I changed a timing chain on my 72 mustang back when I was 15 trying to get the thing running. That was almost 15 years ago. I seem to remember it being pretty straight forward, just tedious. I realize there's more to this, but it seems to still be fairly simple, just a lot of time. Is that correct? Anything special I should know? I know I'm supposed to mark the timing gears before pulling them off to get everything lined up right when I put it back on. Anything else I need to know? Any special tools?
Thanks in advance. I appreciate the help.

I also recommend good seals (Gates, Nissan OEM,SKF, Timken; SKF and Timken seals will have their Name printed directly on them) It would suck to spend 8 hours on a t-belt and seal job just to take it apart again in 7k miles for a bad seal.

This was my experience last weekend. Engine only has 7k miles on it and the passenger cam seal was leaking 1 qt per 1,000 miles... I guess the seals that come in Victor-Reinz boxes (they don't make the seals) are not as good as their other products.

Edited by MY1PATH

Thank you very much for all you help. I will get everything ordered this morning and so hopefully it ships tomorrow and then I should have it Thursday.

Precise1, based off your description I'd bet it's the idler. I was talking to a buddy and he asked me to describe the noise. Best I could come up with was trying to rip a cat in half.

All that said, I'm still going to order the whole shootin' match. I planned on changing the timing belt and water pump in the spring anyway. I have to change my thermostat before it gets any colder, if that's even possible. I don't know when the belt was changed last, so might as well get it done instead of draining the radiator twice.

I changed a timing chain on my 72 mustang back when I was 15 trying to get the thing running. That was almost 15 years ago. I seem to remember it being pretty straight forward, just tedious. I realize there's more to this, but it seems to still be fairly simple, just a lot of time. Is that correct? Anything special I should know? I know I'm supposed to mark the timing gears before pulling them off to get everything lined up right when I put it back on. Anything else I need to know? Any special tools?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate the help.

It is easy to loosen and suspend the belt to test if the sound is gone.

LOL @ trying to rip a cat in 1/2. Does the screaming come from you, the cat, or both? Seriously, make sure all the belts and pulleys are spinning. I once seized an alternator and it sounded like your 1/2 cat experiment...

There is a good write up for the timing belt in the Garage/How To section. Read that and it should guide you through it.

Yes, I do advise changing it all, especially if you don't know when it has been done before. I recommend quality parts as well, but name or price doesn't always mean quality (just better odds). :shrug:

My attitude is to replace it all with good stuff, box up the old parts for trail spares and expect it to last another 100k miles... ;)

B

Got everything ordered tonight. I ordered Gates everything. Hopefully it will be here Thursday and I can start working Friday morning before work. I figure it will probably take me 2 or 3 mornings of work since I only have 2-3 hours at a time. But I'll get it done.

Thanks for the help.

Vince