Turbo Noise?

Bubbley11

Lately when going on the freeway, either in fourth or fifth, around 3500 rpms, I get this sound of a turbo?

Now I know I don't have a turbo, wish I did. But none the less it is only when under power. I'll let off the gas and the noise will stop but when I push the gas to maintain or accelerate. I get a turbo like whine.

The noise doesn't happen when in 1-3 gears only when going high rpms, 50 mph above.

Diff? Drive-line? Belts?

Edited by Bubbley11

I have a whine coming from my transfer case/rear end only when im going over 30 can i hear it, and it goes away (or i just can't hear it) when i let off the gas. Mines and auto. But your 5spd tranny could also be a bit worn out and have some noise. Wounld't surprise me.

I do have a hole in my muffler that has been getting bigger, maybe it has found the resonance point and whistles?

More than likely. But I'd get a set of experienced ears in the passenger seat just to be sure.

We ran down the road, and its hard to determine. My brother and I believe it is coming out of the tran's(loudest right by the stick). And it only happens in fifth. Fourth was just belts fixed that, cause it happened in every gear.

So i think my fifth gear is going or the bearing holding it? Have no clue about transmission's's, but thats my thought?

My understanding of it is that the fluid level is too low to properly lube some of the bearings, so they wear out faster than they should. Depending on how far gone the bearings are, more fluid might not stop the noise, but it would probably make the bearings last longer.

IIRC the later transmissions have the fill plug higher up to fix this.

Kingman is right, not knowing what is in there from the PO is bad, and mixing is not a good idea either.

In the hope of avoiding costly tranny repair, I would drain the oil and replace it with GL-4 or equavalent synthetic, 'overfilling' it as well. At least you will know what is in it and that the level is right, setting a maintenance point as well.

B

(I do miss my 5 speed...)

my guess is a bad 5th gear synchronizer, in which case there's no way I know of to fix other than a tranny rebuild, but you may be able to put a bandaid on it so you can live with it until the entire tranny falls apart, or like you said just stay out of 5th. I also want to say failing throwout bearing but if it were that I think it would be related to every gear.