Gearbox/transfer case problem

Jamo761

Hello

I have a 1991 turbo diesel pathfinder, 5 spd manual. It has developed a problem where it slips out of gear, but not in the normal way. When it slips out of gear, the gear lever doesn't move (and holding it in place doesn't prevent it from slipping out) and it makes some grinding/crunching noises when it does it. It does it in all gears including reverse, stationary or moving. When it does it stationary it feels like it's catching and trying to drive but then drops out again.

When it slips out of gear you can have the clutch all the way out with and it doesn't do anything, it doesn't even make any noise.

This problem didn't develop over time, it just started happening, however there has been the odd clunk when changing gear, both during the shift and when the clutch is let out, it almost sounds and feels like excessive backlash in the drive train.

Does anybody have any ideas? I'm starting to think it's the transfer case. Is there anyway a clutch failure could cause it? I haven't driven the vehicle since it started to happen except to move it slowly back and forth, which it will do under it's own power. Once it begins slipping I can get the vehicle to move again by ether cycling it into 4wd and back to 2wd. The clutch doesn't seems to be slipping, I can stall the engine by slowly letting the clutch out with the hand break on when it's in a setup that where it isn't slipping. Shifting through the gears when stationary feels normal, pumping the clutch feels normal (not that you get much feel from a hydraulic clutch)

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

You stated this happened all at once, not gradually, this sounds to me like some sort of issue with your shifter linkage or shifter forks.

When you went to engage the shifter or change gears you popped a retaining pin, clip or spring or broke a knickle ball on one of the forks or something. There are many washers, nylon sockets, springs, etc that will all wear out over time in that shifter setup.

With a synchro gear propblem it would pop out from gear, which you say it does not do.

I would look at the linkage for the transfer case, sounds like it is definitely related to the t-case some how. also being that after you flip in and out of 4x4 hi low etc it fixes your issue for a bit, does not sound like clutch or trans to me.

Sounds to me like the drive to the rear end is getting interrupted, and when you put it in 4x, the front end pulls you out. This sounds like a transfer case issue to me.

I'm staring at the FSM diagram and all I can figure is that something's gone wrong with the the shift fork for the 2-4 coupling sleeve. Could be wear, could be an issue with the linkage that moves it. I don't think that sleeve is ever supposed to be completely disengaged; the low/high coupling sleeve is the one with the neutral position, so far as I can tell. I suspect it's moving beyond were it's supposed to and grinding on the bit that's supposed to drive the rear.

I may be reading the diagrams wrong, of course; the FSM only says where the parts go.

But if I'm right, hopefully it's a simple linkage problem, and the grinding hasn't butchered anything important. If it does turn out to be the linkage, don't forget to change the fluid... you may have some metal bits swimming around in there.

So, it turns out one of the main drive gears is keyed on to its shaft. The key way was flogged out, the key was amost completely destroyed and there were marks on the shaft where the gear had been spining on it.

Ended up buying a reconditioned gearbox and had it swapped out. One odd thing, the overhaul shop filled the gear box with Dextron 6 (it's a manual, so normally it would use GL4...). I have heard of this being common practice on late model gear boxes, but nothing as old as 1991. Anybody heard of anyone doing using dextron 6, and if so how did it go?

^x2

There are a few options with Amsol and Redline, but otherwise, definitely GL-4 only.

Also, make sure to 'overfill' it with 5 liters of gear oil, easiest way is down the shifter throat...

B