Oh no, not ANOTHER tire question

theexbrit

You will love those duratrac's and yes they look awesome. I went with them on my 95 pathfinder and have them on my 04 Titan. Very stable in Washington weather. I have never lost traction or control and that's with stiff e rated 33's on titan. I have lighter c rated on the pathfinder. 265-75/16' basically 32's plus they're Kevlar like the MTR

Edited by Nissanland
  • Like 1

Well, I went with the 33" Duratracs, they have tire insurance (MT's don't) & I got 5 installed, $1000 out the door. With the bigger lugs on the MT's they would have hit the lower spring bucket as I only have 3.75" back spacing. Anyway, they look friggin' awesome, just have a little rub on turns (at the bottom door pillar end of the fender), nothing a little grinder work won't fix.

Sent from theexbrits iPad using Tapatalk

That's correct mate, 33x12.5x15, Pro Comp wheels with 3.75 back spacing, 2" AC lift & 1" HDPE spacers from fluery's. They rubbed the fender at the back of the wheel arch, down at the bottom near the door. I cut the plastic inner liner & used a grinder to take off about 1" of the fender metal. I'll get a couple of closer shots once I tidy up the cuts. There's about 1/4" gap between the tire & the lower spring bucket on the strut, very close but it does not rub & as the tire wears the gap will get bigger of course :laugh:

Looking good man! Curious if you're going to get more rub off the beaten path though....? Sure the SFD isn't in your near future? Same size tires as me except for rim size. Extra spare if we're trippin together. ;)

...from my cell...using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks!

I'll let you know about the off road rub, we're heading to the Old Woman Mountains next weekend so that will be the maiden voyage froading. An SFD is in the future I'm thinking & maybe another 2" or so of lift.. :aok:

• Like 1

They look great and should do everything you need them to. :aok:

FYI I have damage insurance on my BFG MT KM2, I bought them at Discount tire. :shrug:

Thanks bro!

Oh by the way, on that axle plate question you asked about B, I have the HG46 rear axle, so in the 1996 model it would be 4.625:1 unless I'm very much mistaken.

I have done some of this home work my self and I have the same HG 46 rear axle in my 97 with the LSD unless were both wrong. Hope not

I guess the other axle is 4.32:1, the SE LSD diff is that ratio because of the slightly bigger tires than the LE.......... I think.

HG46 in our 1999.0 with open diff and 265/70/15, so you never can tell...

B

The truck looks great A! It looks ready to take on the Rubicon trail :aok:

I used to have Duratracs and while I liked them for their stickiness and traction I didn't like their sidewall strength, I had several shallow cuts on the sidewall after a couple of offroading trips. Hopefully they've improved them. I ended up trading mine back to discount tire and switch to the BFG ATs for a $150 out of pocket. The BFG ATs look very tame compared to the Duratracs :( but have very tough sidewalls.

You shouldn't have too much rub since you don't have the fender flares and sounds like you already addressed the front rubbing point with a grinder

How's the torque/power going up to the 33s and the wider 33s at that :sly:

Lastly how're the CV angles with the 1" spacer? I have the NX4 one sitting in the garage but haven't (needed to) install them yet.

Edited by stioc

Thanks, I was surprised at how "beefy" they look.

FYI I have damage insurance on my BFG MT KM2, I bought them at Discount tire. :shrug:

B

Go figure, they told me "no mud tire comes with damage insurance".

The truck looks great A! It looks ready to take on the Rubicon trail :aok:

I used to have Duratracs and while I liked them for their stickiness and traction I didn't like their sidewall strength, I had several shallow cuts on the sidewall after a couple of offroading trips. Hopefully they've improved them. I ended up trading mine back to discount tire and switch to the BFG ATs for a $150 out of pocket. The BFG ATs look very tame compared to the Duratracs :( but have very tough sidewalls.

You shouldn't have too much rub since you don't have the fender flares and sounds like you already addressed the front rubbing point with a grinder

How's the torque/power going up to the 33s and the wider 33s at that :sly:

Lastly how're the CV angles with the 1" spacer? I have the NX4 one sitting in the garage but haven't (needed to) install them yet.

Thanks S, the tires might take on the Rubicon but I don't think I'M capable! :laugh:

I do have doubts about the sidewall, I looked at the tire & I'm sure it said "sidewall 2 ply", even my El Cheapo Kelly's had 3 ply sidewalls! We'll see how they go, at least I can get replacements if they do tear the sidewalls, Discount Tires replaced one of my old Kelly's for a sidewall rip.

It does seem a little bit less powerfull up hills but it's a bit early yet to judge, I'll get back to you on that one. It rides pretty smooth though, just a little noise & a slight vibration at about 40mph. Just have to see what the gas mileage is like also.The CV angle is still fine, even at full "frop" it is about 28 degrees, I read that 33 degrees is max so still within spec. :aok:

• Like 1

I'll be eyeing your posts to see how those tires do exbrit.

I've been told Geolanders have flimsy sidewalls but three flailings at Calico later and a load of wheel/sidewall rash the sidewalls are fine.

Might just be perspective....or luck...

Edited by 92Path_68CJ
  • Like 1

Two ply Kevlar sidewalls have replaced the previous version of the duratrac tires. I was told by Goodyear that they are as strong as any three ply of steel/poly sidewalls. Only way to tell which version is the tire id number and checking it with Goodyear. Both the truck's I have, got the duratrac tires, and they're sidewalls look the same other than a K2 in the ply ratings Of newer vversion.

Edited by Nissanland
  • Like 1

Go figure, they told me "no mud tire comes with damage insurance".

Maybe they stopped doing that. :shrug:

I recall the sales associate suggesting I get the insurance since they were MTs and would be subject to... abuse. ;)

He said damage was damage, they didn't care where it happened as the tire is designed for use anywhere...

B

Two ply Kevlar sidewalls have replaced the previous version of the duratrac tires. I was told by Goodyear that they are as strong as any three ply of steel/poly sidewalls. Only way to tell which version is the tire id number and checking it with Goodyear. Both the truck's I have, got the duratrac tires, and they're sidewalls look the same other than a K2 in the ply ratings Of newer vversion.

Hmmm, mine say "Plies; 4 tread: 2 polyester, 2 steel. 2 sidewall: polyester".

I searched around online & couldn't find any reference to new Duratracs having Kevlar. Maybe mine are older stock?

Maybe they stopped doing that. :shrug:

I recall the sales associate suggesting I get the insurance since they were MTs and would be subject to... abuse. ;)

He said damage was damage, they didn't care where it happened as the tire is designed for use anywhere...

B

It's strange that they offer the warranty on Duratracs which are clearly designed to be used off road as well as on pavement (& have weaker sidewalls so they're more likely to get damage), yet don't offer it (at least in my store) for the MT's with Kevlar which is a stronger tire & less likely to get damage :shrug: Go Figure :scratchhead:

Duratracs never came with Kevlar, if this is a recent thing then perhaps but if you want Kevlar from Goodyear you gotta get the MTRs which go out of round after a while.

Duratracs, even the E-load ones I got had 2 sidewalls.

On the warranty/insurance thing, ATs and MTs - that's the difference. Yet still it differs from store to store, I know someone who had purchased his KM2s with the extra 'no questions asked replacement insurance' and actually used it. Yep he managed to put two holes in the sidewalls of two KM2s :crazy: one in Death Valley, same place where I managed to pick up the shallow sidewall slashes on my Duratracs :takebow:

• Like 1

Haven't noticed any real loss of power, maybe a little but nothing to worry about. There are a couple of rub marks on the rear fenders from flex, & slight rub on full lock at the front & at full compression. Again, nothing to worry about, I may do a little more cutting to fix it. Love the Duratracs though, felt great on the road & on the trail, performed great through soft sand, gravel, rocks, etc. Glad I got the 33x12.5's, the extra height & width made a big difference out in the Mojave!

• Like 2

Nice! glad to hear they performed well and the rubbing is pretty minimal. Those are some pretty wide tires, at first I thought they were comprable to the 285/75/16 in metric but 12.5" is like a 315mm wide tire!

• Like 2

@Inyourface - pics?? :)

I played conservative and went with a skinny 32" tire (235/85/16) to keep the unsprung mass low, better fuel economy from the lower rolling resistance and higher ground pressure per sq-inch. They meet my needs quite well. However, the big fat tires look great and it makes me and my Pathy feel like a stock mall cruiser lol.

BTW, seeing some of you guys running around with these massive tires I appreciate the original running gear (hubs, balljoints, CVs, tie-rods etc) and how it's overbuilt to be able to handle the +30-40lbs tire/wheel combo :aok:

Edited by stioc
  • Like 1