Too deep

albino

I went a little too deep in a mud hole the other week and ran into some problems. I took a ton of mud/water through the radiator/skid and into the engine compartment and by the time I got out of the mud hole I had some interesting noises coming from under the hood. No check engine light or any warning lights so I drove to the campsite. Next morning I popped the hood to find that my a/c belt had been thrown off the pulleys. I put it back on and started up the truck and the battery, a/t temp, and parking break lights came on. I drove for a few miles and the lights turned off so I drove it home and cleaned out the engine compartment. After the cleaning there was still a whine coming from the under the hood and I could not determine exactly where it was coming from even when putting a hose to my ear and moving around. For the next few days the previously mentioned dash lights turned on and off periodically and I figured it was a connector that was jiggling loose and full of mud. Then my battery died and I realized that the solution to all of my problems is most likely the alternator. I would like to rebuild it instead of getting one out of the junkyard. Anyone have any advice for what might need to be replaced? I'm guessing if the bearings are bad that it will probably be too complicated to replace them... no one builds things to be rebuilt these days. If you think I am off completely with my assumption that the alternator is on the way out then please speak up.

that sounds about right but i would check connections first had a similar issue except for no dash lights on my 92 gmc and it was the bearings and something else in the alternator but i would get it fixed quick becauseif it is the alternator it could do like mine and fry the battery

the battery, a/t temp, and parking break lights came on.

After the cleaning there was still a whine coming from the under the hood and I could not determine exactly where it was coming from even when putting a hose to my ear and moving around.

Batt+AT temp+brake is the indication on the instrument cluster for the alternator going bad and not charging.

The whine was the alternator you heard.

Done this twice. I am sure others can also testify and admit they have gone too deep in the mud as well and fried their alternators. :)

Edited by Alkorahil

Same issue in my old wd21, big puddle lights came on a minute later, searched it right away on my fancy mans iphone found it to be an alternator issue looked under the hood it was mud brown everywhere. cleaned the compartment out in the morning, no issues since. could also be a grounding issue in the system (most likely something faulty in the alternator) measure the output voltage on the alternator to make sure that's the issue before, if you don't known a meter a shop can do it for 20$ sometimes free if you sweet talk em.

It's a little bit scary when all those lights go off at you, at the moment I also had my check engine, window washer, and tire carrier lights on :lol: my dash was lit up more than a Christmas tree :rofl:

Fried my alternator and sucked mud into my timing chamber. When the mud dried up it caused my TB to jump a couple of teeth. I'm darn lucky it didn't eat any valves. I now avoid mud like the plague.

400475207.jpg

Edited by devonianwalk

Alright I'll tear into the alternator as soon as I can. Luckily I bike to my classes so I can afford to not drive it for the week. Unfortunately I just replaced the battery so hopefully the alternator is not going to fry it... that would be a lot of money down the drain. No more mud for me for the foreseeable future, some nice dry rock sounds like the way to go

• Like 1

I've never had an issue after hitting the mud mechanically, but I'm definitely avoiding it from now on, just the clean up is a PITA. Good luck with that alternator, should help.

Batt+AT temp+brake is the indication on the instrument cluster for the alternator going bad and not charging.

The whine was the alternator you heard.

Done this twice. I am sure others can also testify and admit they have gone too deep in the mud as well and fried their alternators. :)

Went through 2 because of this. ALTERNATOR!

I got the alternator out yesterday and spinning the pulley by hand I don't feel any catches in the bearings. It is definitely stuffed full of mud and debris though. I'm going to take it apart tomorrow. Should I go ahead and order a new regulator for it? I'm guessing while I'm in there I should go ahead and replace anything that might go out in the near future. I'm thinking I'll replace the regulator and clean the brushes as long as they are still in working order.

I've never had an issue after hitting the mud mechanically, but I'm definitely avoiding it from now on, just the clean up is a PITA. Good luck with that alternator, should help.

I hate mud. I'd rather "snow bash" then "mud bog" just to avoid the clean-up alone.

Good luck with that alternator albino.

• Like 1

I got the alternator out yesterday and spinning the pulley by hand I don't feel any catches in the bearings. It is definitely stuffed full of mud and debris though. I'm going to take it apart tomorrow. Should I go ahead and order a new regulator for it? I'm guessing while I'm in there I should go ahead and replace anything that might go out in the near future. I'm thinking I'll replace the regulator and clean the brushes as long as they are still in working order.

Albino,

Yes, that would be good if you can find a regulator or a rebuild kit. I am not aware of any out there though in the aftermarket.

Yeah I have been searching but I can't find any rebuild parts for the alternator. I saw a voltage regulator somewhere but it was more expensive than getting another alternator out of the junkyard. Anyone know of any kits available?

If I can't find a kit I will probably just take it apart and give everything a good cleaning, put I back together and see if it tests out ok.

Found a website that looks like it has everything needed for a rebuild: http://store.alternatorparts.com

Also I took my alternator to get tested today and they guy said it wasn't charging at all. I guess that is better than charging and unregulated. I'm thinking that since it isn't charging at all there is an open circuit somewhere... probably the brushes or maybe the diodes. Time to take it apart.

As an electrician I am excited to see how these look broken apart, just saying you might want to take some photos ;) I would agree, open circuit, check the brushes for dirt and grim then test the leads (if you got a voltmeter) my best guess is it shorted out which burnt a wire open :shrug:

Alright I need a little help here. I took the alternator apart and got to the point where I need to separate the stator from the regulator. The wires are crimped and then soldered over the crimps so it is not easy to separate the two. Unfortunately I need to get my rig up and running again so I don't have time to get everything taken apart and order the parts and wait for them to come. I went to the junkyard and they didn't have any r50's so I got a 95 quest alternator since I had heard it was a pretty straightforward swap but this does not appear to be the case. The mounting holes look like they are the correct distance apart but need to be drilled out to around 11 mm. The pulley will also need to be swapped and possibly spaced and a slightly longer bolt will be needed for the bottom mount. I am a little stumped... I thought the only necessary modification was to swap the pulley. I checked a parts website and the alternators were the same for 94-99 quests.