"It's worse than that, she's dead Jim!"

theexbrit

So, put a new cruise control switch into the Pathy today & also drilled a couple of small holes for a washer bottle mod. Now there's nothing when I switch on the ignition :ohno01::headwall:

No power locks, no ignition lights, nothing that seems to work off the ignition switch. The headlights work, the interior lights work, etc, but anything that comes on with the ignition es no bueno :scratchhead:

I can't see that the cruise control switch had anything to do with it, so the only other thing I can think of is I must have hit the wiring harness when I drilled the 2 holes. The part of the wiring harness in question is between the battery & the headlight on the passenger side. Anyone know if there's anything in there that would cause this? I would have thought it was just headlight wiring & stuff, but I'm no expert.

Thanks in advance for any help :aok:

Ouch! Nothing worse than electrical problems in my book, they can be so hard to trace. Like you, I know very little about the harness on the Pathfinder but with a schematic and some simple troubleshooting and a DMM you can find just about anything.

From your description it sounds like an open of some sort to the ignition if turning the key yields no effect. I personally would start there, looking for power to the switch. Are you sure when you were up by the battery you didn't accidentally loosen a connector, main fuse or relay? Like I said, the specifics of the Pathfinder elude me but print the wiring diagram from the FSM, grab your meter and start chasing power.... Sending electrical "energy" your way. Good Luck!

• Like 1

Yeah, i guess I'll start at the ign switch & work back. I'm going to check the harness first in case I did drill into it, I wanted to switch the batteries around anyway so now's my chance. :laugh:

I found about 6 wires in the harness that I'd hit with the drill & sliced apart :ohno01::P:pullhair: What a wan :wackinit: er I am! :doh:

Have you checked all your fuses? Inside and hood ones? May still have caught a wire when drilling and popped a fuse or two.

"You are correct sir!!" I fixed the wires but it did pop some fuses, 3 40 amp & the main 80 amp jcase fuses. I managed to find the 40 amp jcase fuses at Pep Boys but no one has the 80 amp. I will try the stealership tomorrow, if no luck there (or too expensive) I'll hit the wrecking yard. :itsallgood:

Edited by theexbrit
  • Like 1

I found about 6 wires in the harness that I'd hit with the drill & sliced apart :ohno01::P:pullhair: What a wan :wackinit: er I am! :doh:

So, how many beers were involved in this adventure? :lol:

Thankfully it is a Nissan so you shouldn't have to work on it out on a trail. If you did, you'd probably burn it to the ground were it sat... :rofl:

Glad you got it sorted out with minimal damage... ;)

B

For years, when someone asks for some rediculous or impossible task, my reply is " Damn it Jim! I'm just a machinist!". :lol:

• Like 1

Unfortunately I can't blame this on beers :blush02:

All is still not well in the warp drive. I replaced the 80 amp fuse after a long drive to a wrecking yard (stealerships wanted $16 & special order, 2-3 days), now everything works & the engine turns over but it won't fire. No firing at all, just cranking, so I'm thinking fuel. I checked the fuses (engine compartment & interior fuse box) & changed the fuel pump relay, still no firing. I'm thinking it has to be a wire that I missed repairing unless anyone can think of a reset or something that I need to do. I really don't want to pull all the harness out again but it may come to that. :suicide::rant2:

Oh, well, keep that part a secret and just let people assume... ;)

I don't have some magical insider info for you, but I will ask 2 Qs. Do you hear the fuel pump whine when you first turn the key on? (quickly crouch in front of the driver rear tire to hear)

And, do you have spark at the wires?

B

• Like 1

Had a good mechanic buddy of mine come over today, checked the fuel pump relay first, it's clicking so the wiring was ok. Then checked the fuel pump using B's method, fuel pump is buzzing away merrily. Then my buddy sayz "did you check ALL the fuses, including the mini fuses?". "Yes" I sayz, they all looked ok. "Lets check them again" he sayz & grabs his test light. 1 fuse blown, 2 fuse blown, 3 fuse blown, etc, total of 5 blown mini fuses. Replaced these fuses & away she goes, purring like a kitten!!!! :ohno01::D :D

So, being the big nob end that I am I did a half arsed job of checking the "minor" fuses after I replaced the high amp fuses, that's why she would turn over but not fire up. A couple of those mini fuses in the engine bay fuse box must protect some fuel/air sensors, etc. :kyle:

Anyway, Ol' Green is running great again except for the hi beam lights, so I'll check all the inside fuses when it's light. Moral of the story is double check the simple stuff first. Oh, & don't drill thru a wiring harness!!! :itsallgood::rofl:

• Like 1

Nothing is more frustrating and infuriating than when the only person to blame is yourself. I have been there many times.

Very true Rob!!

At least I managed to put my Nismo decals on straight :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: