Do the CV joints provide support?

Wifes96NP

My 96 front CV joints were shot so I unbolted them, cut the hub housings ends off and bolted them (the piece that attaches to the hubs) back up to the wheels to keep the dirt out. If the vehicle remains in 2WD would it be drivable, or does the CV linkage assembly provide necessary structural support to the front suspension?

Also, the steering rack leaks about an ounce every two weeks, the rod boots have been toast for years, would it (rack assembly) be a likely cause of 45-50 degrees of play in the steering both ways?

Thanks

If the vehicle remains in 2WD would it be drivable, or does the CV linkage assembly provide necessary structural support to the front suspension?

Yes, it's driveable. But with winter coming, why wouldn't you just replace the CV axles? Strapped for cash?

Also, the steering rack leaks about an ounce every two weeks, the rod boots have been toast for years, would it (rack assembly) be a likely cause of 45-50 degrees of play in the steering both ways?

That's very likely at least PART of the problem. Sounds like your front end needs some TLC - and soon! If this is indeed your wife's vehicle, it doesn't seem very safe for her to be driving with that much steering play.

Yes, it's driveable. But with winter coming, why wouldn't you just replace the CV axles? Strapped for cash?

That's very likely at least PART of the problem. Sounds like your front end needs some TLC - and soon! If this is indeed your wife's vehicle, it doesn't seem very safe for her to be driving with that much steering play.

We are strapped for cash at the moment, fortunately in SE SC it never freezes or snows.

She is using a family member's car right now as I prepare to replace the rack.

Thank you very much for the prompt assistance!

• 4 weeks later...

Changed the steering rack, it wasn't bad at all. The "new" one was about $220 with the core. I aligned the wheels by alining the rotors to the 2nd outer tread of the rear tires. After bleeding I took it for a test and the problem is for sure, fixed :clap: . I guess the pinion worm gear teeth were worn severely enough, from years of driving with torn boots, to cause that amount of play (45° lol!).

One thing that has me slightly concerned is I accidentally let the steering wheel free rotate near 360° while disconnected. The FSM states the airbag cord can unravel from this. I didn't notice anything so I assume it's alright.

Thanks for the tips

My 96 front CV joints were shot so I unbolted them, cut the hub housings ends off and bolted them (the piece that attaches to the hubs) back up to the wheels to keep the dirt out. If the vehicle remains in 2WD would it be drivable, or does the CV linkage assembly provide necessary structural support to the front suspension?

Thanks

On the steering question, Yes it could. debris getting in through the broken boot can cause all sorts of issues in that rack.