Dinghy Towing, Car dolly towing, or what?

whispers8021

i dont understand!!! I was going to car dolly tow my 1998 manual 5 speed 4x4 Pathfinder until someone turned me onto a tow bar(dinghy towing) and after looking up a few things on this now I am VERY VERY VERY concerned as to whether or not I can even tow my suv dinghy or dolly? I dont understand what the deal is. I have been all over the internet from site to site and all over this forum with the search feature and I am more concerned on my option now than before I started. I am sorry if this is in the wrong topic or considered a similar post, but I think for the sake of arguement the other similar posts don't exactly nail down a "catch all answer"

I have a 1998 Manual 5 speed 4x4 Pathfinder that doesnt have locking hubs. Can shift on the fly from 2WD to 4WD Hi/Lo without any issues. Has 215,000 miles on it(not sure if that matters) And I plan on towing it from flatland Minnesota to Utah going through the blackhills, diagonally across Wyoming(hopefully bypassing the bighorns), and into the box canyon of Park City/Ogden area. In total its about 1200 miles.

Why can't I just shift it to neutral I drive my rv down the road towing my suv. Why can't I do that? Some websites say this is fine, others say you need to disconnect the drive shaft, some tell me i need to put the transfer case in neutral, others say never ever never ever tow a 4x4, others tell me to plastic wraps something to ensure I dont bust my steering. I honestly dont understand what the problem is to just put my vehicle in neutral and tow it down the road. O lubricants dont get up into the gears??? Ok does it go up into the gears if I turn the engine on and then shift into neutral while towing? How hard is it to put the transfer case into neutral? Some say I can't tow it more than 500 miles? Ok, so at mile marker 400 (just to be safe) I unhook the Pathfinder and drive it around the block a couple times to lubricate the gears? Will that work?

Had I not found the original post on Dinghy towing a pathfinder on this site 5 days from now I would have driven my vehicle on the car dolly facing forward with the rear wheels on the ground. Strapped it in, shifted it into neutral and driven 1200 miles never thinking about it again until it was time to take it off the car dolly and return Uhauls car dolly.

I can't do that? I have to disconnect the drive shaft and put the transfer case in neutral? Shifting it into neutral doesn't do that? If I take it off the car dolly every gas fill up and drive it around for 20 minutes that wouldn't completely eleviate this whole drive shaft transfer case scare/nightmare/drama??

Is dinghy towing better than car dolly? Why? How does dinghy towing actually work? First I have heard about it was 6 hours ago, adn it appears I have to buy a Tbar and some type of clips? I cant just hook the Tbar to the bumper hooks alread on my car that are already on the front bumper?

It depends on the design, and while I am not very familar I hope I can offer advice.

First off, does the owner's manual say anything?

If it doesn't or you don't have one, read further.

If anyone sees something wrong with what I've posted please! correct me immediately.

First off, it depends on the design of the transmission and transfer case.

On my 1968 Jeep, the transfer case output goes straight to the rear axle. Due to its design, it cannot be flat towed, "dinghy" towing as you call it.

The reason being is that while towing, the input side of the transfer case is not spinning. When this happens the mechanism that coats the gears in oil does not turn. The gears become starved for oil and damage occurs.

I do not know the design of the pathfinder case, this is just my comment on the bit about damage, every vehicle is different.

Shifting into the transfer case into neutral is easy, move the shifter to the position marked "N". However, even with the transmission and transfer case in neutral, parts are still spinning, this is where the oil issue comes in.

However, it should not be hard to disconnect the drive shaft and strap it out of the way for flat towing. This way, the concern over drive line damage is irrelevant. Your only concern would be to monitor the temperature of the differential. This is the best scenario for towing with a tow bar as far as I know.

In my opinion, it would be best to rent a car hauler instead of a tow dolly. With a car hauler, there is no wear on the pathfinder at all, and no worries about temperature, bearings, oiling, etc. It is also my opinion that stopping every X number of miles to unstrap the wheels, back off the dolly, and drive around to lubricate the gears is ridiculous. I know this isn't always feasible, I flat tow my Jeep for that reason.

Hope I could help at least a little.

Edited by 92Path_68CJ

The main risk is that if the drive shaft is left in place, and a freak movement happens the Pathfinder can suddenly be in gear. Which will in turn break a whole lot of parts. Like the Transfer case, transmission, rear end. On top of it trying to self drive itself off the dolly into everything in its path.

If you are going to haul it that far. I would just rent the U-haul flat drive on hauler. Why? Because it has surge trailer brakes. Those brakes on the trailer will make towing it 10000% easier than on a dolly. Especially when you start hitting the canyon and hill parts. Its safer, and easier overall for the whole experience.

The only time I even use dollys is if I am only towing local, within 20miles or less. Farther, spend the extra $20 for a flat hauler.

Just go with the flat hauler. It will save you time and more headache along the way offsetting the extra cost.

• Like 2

Thank you to those that have taken time out of their day to try and answer my question/s.

However, none of you have answered any of my questions.

yes OBVIOUSLY a car hauler is the simplest choice and if I had the extra money or the confidence in my 26 year old motorhome (that isn't altitude carborated) to tow that extra weight I would probably go with it.

But I asked these questions and none of you either read that far, too lazy to cover these questions, dont know the answer, or just forgot to answer my questions.

Is dinghy towing better than car dolly? Why? How does dinghy towing actually work?

I cant just hook the Tbar to the bumper hooks alread on my car that are already on the front bumper?

If I take it off the car dolly or unclip from the towbar every gas fill up and drive it around for 20 minutes that would completely eleviate this whole drive shaft transfer case scare/nightmare/drama correct??????? Yeah it ridiculous and obnoxious but I dont have to be to Utah for 5 weeks so I have the time to dick around for 20 minutes the 6 times I put gas in my RV from here to there. I think I can handle 6 annoying 20 minute tasks if it saves me hundreds of dollars and ridiculous drive shaft disconnection tasks. This will lubricate the gears correct???

Towing it while turned on in idle and in neutral is a plausible option too correct? This lubricates the gears, keeps the steering wheel from locking, and doesnt make me get underneath and turn some wrenches correct??

If you cant answer any of these questions please dont bother. Cuz if you cant I might as well made this post in the other 8 SIMILAR POSTS that obviously didnt answer all my questions already and didnt clearly give a definitive answer to

TOWING A 1998 5 SPEED NISSAN PATHFINDER.

WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT THIS POST IS. IT IS TO CLEAR UP THE CONFUSION AND GIVE A DEFINITIVE ANSWER, REASONS & LOGIC ON WHY I NEED TO DO CERTAIN TASKS TO ACTUALLY TOW THIS VEHICLE, AND TO GIVE POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVES IF I CHOOSE NOT TO DO THOSE SUGGESTED TASKS YOU THINK I SHOULD DO.

This will lubricate the gears correct???

Towing it while turned on in idle and in neutral is a plausible option too correct? This lubricates the gears, keeps the steering wheel from locking, and doesnt make me get underneath and turn some wrenches correct??

NO.

You almost certainly will burn and or damage something. Towing with it idling and in neutral is not an option.

Your going to have things that could be spinning with no additional oil for hundreds of miles.

Put it on the TD, disconnect your rear driveshaft where attaches to the rear axle, shift everything neutral, and whenever you stop, check the rear differential to make sure it's not to hot.

I don't know how else to explain it.

I get the impression you've already decided how you will move your Pathfinder.

Edited by 92Path_68CJ

Hello Whispers8021,

Firstly, welcome to the forum. This is a community where members are typically very happy to assist newcomers with various questions, based on their own experience and often, secondhand information that they have learned over the years. It is unfortunate that you have allowed your frustration to overflow into your post, where your comments could be mistaken as rude or disrespectful. Most people don't normally respond to such language with a helpful and courteous manner. I'm sure you did not intend to be rude or disrespectful, but are merely trying to get definitive answers to your questions. I sincerely hope you'll be able to continue participating and learning here with less frequent use of ALL CAPS, which is the equivalent of yelling, in this friendly, supportive community.

Secondly, I believe this will answer your questions.

Here is what my 1997 owner's manual states about towing (I did not include the page applying to 2-wheel drive models):

4 WHEEL DRIVE MODELS

NISSAN recommends that a dolly be used as illustrated when towing your vehicle. (Illustrations depict a Pathfinder being towed with a dolly beneath the wheels that would normally contact the ground).

[bolded points below indicate what you most care about]

If you have to tow your vehicle with four wheels on ground or Towing with front or rear wheels raised

1. Release the parking brake and move the gearshift lever to the neutral position.

2. Observe the following restricted towing speeds and distances.

Automatic transmission model:

• Speed: below 30mph

• Distance: less than 40 miles

Manual transmission model
• Speed: below 60mph

• Distance: less than 500 miles

If the speed or distance must necessarily be greater, remove the front and rear propeller shafts beforehand to prevent damage to the transmission.

/!\ CAUTION

• Never tow your vehicle from the rear (i.e. backward) with four wheels on the ground as this may cause serious and expensive damage to the transmission.

• Be sure to place the transfer case shift lever into the "2H" position and the transmission shift lever into the neutral ("N") position.

In summary, what I take from this is that you may dinghy-tow/flat-tow your M/T Pathfinder as long as you don't go too fast and you don't drive too far. The same cannot be said of A/T-equipped models, where I would instead recommend disconnecting the rear driveshaft and installing manual hubs to prevent the drivetrain from spinning. OR, install manual hubs and reverse-tow the Pathfinder using a tow dolly.

Edited by XPLORx4

Towing a running vehicle is not only not safe, it is illegal.

I'm pretty certain that towing a vehicle backwards, besides being not safe, is also illegal.

Might vary by state.

I see backwards towed cars all the time in Los Angeles and Orange County (Not running)

Edited by 92Path_68CJ

Towing a running vehicle is not only not safe, it is illegal.

I'm pretty certain that towing a vehicle backwards, besides being not safe, is also illegal.

It's not illegal to tow a vehicle backwards, provided you follow certain procedures. Most vehicles are front-wheel-drive and have low front fascias which would get damaged if being towed backwards, so that's why it's not common. On one occasion where I needed my Pathfinder towed, the truck that arrived was a wrecker not a flatbed, and he reverse-towed me since I unlocked the front hubs. He just placed some magnetic taillamps on my hood, and it was all good.

Reverse-towing can sometimes be a little disconcerting: check this out.

Edited by XPLORx4