WTF? Blown Tire

SkiBumBrian

Got off work and stopping by the neighborhood watering hole and heard a loud hiss.... Saw a 1 inch split in my tire, it looked full but jumped right back in to take it home (2 blocks). By the time I made the first block it EXPLODED and felt the left rear drop. I was soo close to home I felt it prudent to limp it into the driveway. I was driving at .5 mph to whole way, even at that it was beating around like a NASCAR ride tearing the fenders off. Everybody in the neighborhood was watching and 1 guy screaming "it's coming off the rim", no @!*%.

Pulled it in the driveway and looked at the damage. It seems the wheel made it home in tact but the tire disintegrated!

So, I am riding the dual sport to work until I buy some tires, piss on a "temporary". I am thinking 33x10.50s or maybe 11.50s. I am one of those that believes narrower tires actually perform better all around, except for deep sand.

whaddya think?

IMG_8523_zps9c17e031.jpg

Edited by SkiBumBrian

Even if you have a small lift I would think about 32's? You don't really have to worry about re gearing not sure how big of a difference would be in between 31 and 33's just ideas. Glad you made it home, this makes me want to throw my full size spare in the back of my truck :lol:

Having run both 33x10.5 (current) and 12.5's (the ones below on the Yota were run as a temp solution on the Pathy) I personally prefer and recommend 10.5's.

They fit better, rub and weight quite a bit less (noticible power difference.)

And although some member will say that you can run 33's of either size without lift (and several membes have) I stand by lifting when going larger than a 31" tire.

Thanks RedPath, I was a bit flustered during the initial post... I have a 3" S/L on the pathy right now, I don't see any issue with running 33's and thanks for the input, I think I will stick with 10.5's. I FINALLY found a tire store with a used 31 until I get a new set next month. I could force the issue but I would be living on peanut butter and tuna fish.... I am sure the tire issue here is as volatile as it is on bike forums but does anybody have suggestions? Except for a few winter months mud is semi scarce around here but lotsa shale, DG, etc. Not too aggressive for driveability but somewhere in the middle would be great. Called Les Schwab and they don't even carry 33's!!

Even if you have a small lift I would think about 32's? You don't really have to worry about re gearing not sure how big of a difference would be in between 31 and 33's just ideas. Glad you made it home, this makes me want to throw my full size spare in the back of my truck :lol:

Yup. Maybe they will swing me a 5 for the price of 4 deal. GOTTA have a full size spare..

Which part? :lol:

Just added "Blown Tire"

BFG AT in 33x10.50 would be a great tire for you.

I had them in a 31x10.5 and had no problems. Only thing I would add to that would be to have them sipped. Made a world of difference in braking on wet pavement.

BFG A/T and M/T, General Grabber Red Label, Interco, few of their tires can be had in that size, Toyo M/T....but Schwab said no? Someone local was selling BFG 33x9.50x15, but I'm assuming those were pretty old because I haven't seen that size for quite a while. Those are the ones I can think of top of my head.

When I was looking for a spare 31, shops wanted 70 bucks for a half bald highway tire. Finally found a guy giving away a Tacoma wheel with the tire, and gave the rim to a buddy.

Edited by RedPath88
removed random code entries.

Took RP88's advice and read through the tire thread. The BFG's look pretty promising, I will look them over. I found a used 31/10.50/15 at Tire Depot for 45 bucks to hold me over until I can afford the 33's. I still need those hubcaps though, give me a PM, text or something and I will swing by and take those off your hands.....