Annoying squeak

RF600

I finally got really tired of the squeak and tore into my Pathfinder to find it.

I could push on the dash and it would go away. So with that assumption I took the dash out. Still had a squeak. I took other pieces out 1 by 1 hoping to find the cause of the squeak. Couldn't find it.

The drivers fender had been replaced before I bought the Pathfinder. I figured that would be my next thing to take off. After I got the dash back in I took the fender off. Sure enough I found the cause of the squeak. The metal had broken around the spot welds. I could tap on the body with the fender off and hear the squeak. I put vise grips on where it was squeaking and drove it, no squeak. I have not driven it since I welded it up. I can bang on the body and I don't hear a squeak. I believe I got it.

The pic, on the left is the windshield and the right is toward the front of the rig. You can see where I got rid of the paint to weld. All 3 places were cracked. The one to the right in the pic went all the way to where it meets the fender. Probably 2-3 inches long. I welded and took down the weld so the fender would bolt back up.

I took the passenger fender off to check and there is 1 spot that is cracked. I will deal with that tomorrow. Anyway here is the pic. I hope this helps some of you because I imagine mine is not the only one that has cracked.

photobucket-9274-1378090853090_zps0693db

I have pulled the passengers side fender and there are a couple cracks. Not as bad as the drivers side. I'm adding some welds in hopes that it will keep it from cracking more. The rear fender mounting, next to the windshield, was cracked almost up to the top of the fender. I welded that up.

I will notice a slight shake from time to time but I think that might be the road.

I am working on a face lift for the Pathfinder. When I am done I will post a pic up. I figured since I had the fenders off anyway I might as well deal with the faded paint on the bumper and grill. It looks different with the different color compared to the faded paint.

The hood wobbles some. I have a broken rubber stop for the hood. The things on the core support that adjusts where the hood stops. Not sure of the name.

The face lift is done so far. I still have to finish up my push guard and put it on. At first glance you probably won't notice anything different, maybe you will. The bumper and the grill were sun beaten really bad. To the point that the plastic was pitting some. How long will it last? I don't know. It looks way better than the faded mess it was before. I used SEM trim black. If it gets a chip I can just touch up and be done. Etching primer on the bumper first. Anyway I wanted to keep this low tech. I have access to a gun but I didn't want to mess with all that.

photobucket-11985-1378595149202_zpse5e56

I think it looks better, but it is hard to tell with that picture...

Those aren't the new inserts, are they?

I will notice a slight shake from time to time but I think that might be the road.

Just wondering if there was something that fatigued it. :shrug:

B

Not new inserts. I wasn't sure how the paint would last so I didn't want to paint them and have issues. The extra set is in case something happens.

As for the break around the spot welds I really have no idea why it did that. I have never had any issues that would make me think the welds would not hold. I cross my fingers that I fixed the issue. You have no idea how nice it is not having that squeak anymore. Almost as good as sex.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been driving around for a bit now and I can report that the squeak is gone. Knock on wood.

That makes my brain not hurt as much compared to when the squeak was in control.

Cool, I'm glad you got it nailed. Yeah, everyone has their annoyances. One of mine is a once per rev noise that changes with rpm or speed. That'll drive me batty in a hurry!

Not new inserts. I wasn't sure how the paint would last so I didn't want to paint them and have issues. The extra set is in case something happens.

As for the break around the spot welds I really have no idea why it did that. I have never had any issues that would make me think the welds would not hold. I cross my fingers that I fixed the issue. You have no idea how nice it is not having that squeak anymore. Almost as good as sex.

Right. Always good to have spares. ;)

I'm assuming that is squeak free as well? :lol:

B

I cant believed you pulled the entire dash to find a squeak, must have been pretty damn loud to chase a 'squeak' down on a 20 year old truck. I Dislike pulling dashes.....I've pulled many, but never on a 1st gen pathy. Good job.

Compared to the dash in my car the pathfinder is easy. Yes the squeak drove me that crazy. I'm glad I found it. If I didn't find it after all that I would be a bit upset.

• 4 months later...

More on the squeak. It is not back. I believe I know where it possibly came from. 3 of 4 wheels were bad. The vibration got worse once I put on the 31" tires. Not sure why the tires made the vibration worse. The previous owner put a 235 tire on. Not sure why.

Anyway I purchased new wheels. Now it rubs a bit when turning. No biggie I need to trim a bit of the fender flare. I also need to lift my rig a bit more. I will probably end up with a 3" lift. Even with trimming the flare I worry about wheel travel when off road.

I went with the American Racing Outlaw 1. The solid wheel not the one with the holes in them. I don't have a pic but I have seen a pic of them on the boards here.

It could have been poor balancing, they way they were torqued, or maybe the PO just hit a lot of curbs. :shrug:

What width and back spacing are the rims? You shouldn't be having a rubbing issue as a 31" should fit on a stock truck and I don't recall yours sagging badly.

B

Rims are 8", 3.75" back spacing. The mud flap is where it rubs when turning full lock.

I believe the rest of the vibration is the rear axle bearing. I think maybe the lock nut has come lose? I have to dive into it and see.

Rims are 8", 3.75" back spacing. The mud flap is where it rubs when turning full lock.

I believe the rest of the vibration is the rear axle bearing. I think maybe the lock nut has come lose? I have to dive into it and see.

Must be the 8" rims as the stock are 6 and 7", but I wouldn't have thought that to be an issue. :shrug:

At least it is an easy fix...

B

I either don't turn sharp, or I do and hear the tire hit the mud flap, or lift it some more. I would like to lift it a bit more. I think it would look better. I'm debating suspension or body lift. I don't like body lifts. If I was to do a body lift it wouldbe a 2".