Nissan to Offer Cummins Diesel Engine for Titan Pickup

Alkorahil

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-20/nissan-to-offer-cummins-diesel-engine-for-titan-pickup.html?cmpid=yhoo

Nissan to Offer Cummins Diesel Engine for Titan Pickup
By Alan Ohnsman - Aug 20, 2013 5:00 PM CT

Nissan Motor Co. (7201), which has struggled to win over U.S. buyers of large pickups, said it will offer a diesel engine in its redesigned Titan truck, a first for a Japan-based automaker.

The 5-liter, V-8 turbo diesel will be supplied by Cummins Inc. (CMI), Yokohama, Japan-based Nissan said in a statement yesterday. Details of the next Mississippi-built Titan, which hasn’t been fully revamped since its 2003 introduction, aren’t being disclosed at this time, the company said.

“Truck owners told us there’s a demand for the performance and torque of a diesel in a capable truck that doesn’t require the jump up to a heavy-duty commercial pickup,” Fred Diaz, vice president for North American Nissan sales and marketing, said in yesterday’s statement. “There is no question that the new Titan will turn heads.”

Nissan missed expectations a decade ago with Japan’s first pickup that appeared to match the size and power of the trucks that are a cornerstone of U.S. sales for General Motors Co. (GM), Ford Motor Co. (F) and Chrysler Group LLC. Nissan never met an initial target of selling 100,000 Titans a year, and delivered just 10,020 this year through July, a sixth the volume of Toyota Motor Corp.’s Tundra, and a fraction of the sales of Ford’s F-Series, GM’s Silverado and Chrysler’s Ram pickups.

U.S. full-size pickup sales jumped 23 percent this year through July, according to Autodata Corp., as an improving economy encourages buyers to replace their aging trucks. Large pickups account for a majority of earnings for U.S. automakers, according to Morgan Stanley.

Diesel Appeal

Owners of large pickups are among the most loyal to GM, Ford and Chrysler. Nissan hired Diaz, 47, earlier this year after the executive headed Auburn Hills, Michigan-based Chrysler’s Ram brand and Mexican unit.

Diesel engines appeal to drivers who need enhanced power and towing capability, and are a common option for GM, Ford and Ram trucks. Toyota City, Japan-based Toyota, which is readying a revamped Tundra, has no plans to add a diesel powertrain at this time, said Bill Fay, the company’s group vice president for U.S. sales, in an interview in San Diego.

The diesel engines will be built at a Cummins factory in Columbus, Indiana, for installation at Nissan’s Canton, Mississippi, plant. Nissan didn’t provide investment figures or say whether additional U.S. manufacturing jobs would result from the project.

Cummins is also based in Columbus, south of Indianapolis. The company supplies a 6.7-liter turbo diesel engine for Chrysler’s Ram Heavy Duty truck. Nissan’s North American unit is based in Franklin, Tennessee.

I would be interested. I still kick myself for not getting a Dodge Ram when they first came out with the Cummins and would hate to make the same mistake again. I would like to think the Titan would be a better overall package, but two things...

Does anyone know this motor? Is it used for other things or is this being made for Nissan only?

Will manual transmission Titans be available?

B

5L? I thought it was going to be a 2.8...However this will be a good size. Not a mountain of power like the HD's but PLENTY of what we would need to do with a half ton.

I think its gonna be sweeet!

Edited by Inyourface1650

Honestly I'm a nissan guys first, then cummins power ;) I'm planning a 4bt swap into my hardbody! Just need to save up while asking Santa for some Dana 60's lol

Anyways my opinion is, this is flippin sweet, but I am curious about this v8... Would have to see more details before I can give an honest opinion, yet I'm quite interested..

From a Miami Herald article:

"Nissan announced separately that a 300-plus horsepower, 5-Liter diesel engine made by Cummins will be available as an option on the next generation Titan. Nissan wouldn't say when the reworked full-size pickup truck will arrive in showrooms, but said the diesel versions are being tested on public roads."

Info on the new engine from Cummins site:

http://cumminsengines.com/cummins-5L-V8-turbo-diesel

from above page:

"This new engine will offer the right balance of power, performance and fuel economy while delivering the dependability that customers expect. With a torque rating in the mid-500s (lb-ft) and more than 300 horsepower"

pic of above engine from above site:

2yweb1t.jpg

/>

From a Miami Herald article:

"Nissan announced separately that a 300-plus horsepower, 5-Liter diesel engine made by Cummins will be available as an option on the next generation Titan. Nissan wouldn't say when the reworked full-size pickup truck will arrive in showrooms, but said the diesel versions are being tested on public roads."

Info on the new engine from Cummins site:

http://cumminsengines.com/cummins-5L-V8-turbo-diesel

from above page:

"This new engine will offer the right balance of power, performance and fuel economy while delivering the dependability that customers expect. With a torque rating in the mid-500s (lb-ft) and more than 300 horsepower"

pic of above engine from above site:

2yweb1t.jpg

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/08/20/3574850/cummins-to-add-500-jobs-building.html#storylink=cpy"

Needs more... Pink!

This should make a monster half ton! My concern is what will they put behind it? My titan has plenty power for pulling my 8K fifth wheel camper around. My concern is will the transmission hold up. I've seen people burn up their transmission not even pulling anything. I'm lazy in my old age and don't like to shift anymore but a manual transmission would make me feel better towing a lot of weight.

James