Sas rear axle?

I know I'm a newby for asking but I've been confused for a while and couldn't find the info I needed... When you d a sas do you have to replace the rear axle also? And is this https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissan-h233b-front-axle-housing-by-diamond-axle-p-57856.html an actual axle, cause it says axle housing... And if its not too much trouble could someone make a list or link me to one that tells how to do a sas for newbies, just so I can get an idea of it...

Thanks in advance

-Reece

No, your rear axle is already a solid axle and is already really strong. Most will tell you it's stronger than a ford 9". And i beleive it. YOu only have to get longer springs if you raise the front any with your sas. as for the housing, i think steevo sells that as just the housing, but im not sure. There are a few threads in the how to section HERE of people that have done their own SAS. each are unique.

Here are some facts for you...

Dana 44

Ring Gear: 8.5"

Axle Diameter:

Axle Splines:

Nissan H233B:

Ring Gear: 9.17"

Axle Diameter: 1.31"

Axle Splines: 33 (on the Xterra)

Ford 9"

Ring Gear: 9"

Axle Diameter: 1.33"

Axle Splines: 31

*Pinion has additional bearing for support which adds significant strength under load.

Dana 60:

Ring Gear: 9.75"

Axle Diameter: 1.50"

Axle Splines: 35

I made a thread in general forums called h233 upgrades but this is the brunt of the information, as you can tell the nissan rear end is strong, surprisingly strong, as for a front end... I wish they made a front h233b lol

• Like 1

I made a thread in general forums called h233 upgrades but this is the brunt of the information, as you can tell the nissan rear end is strong, surprisingly strong, as for a front end... I wish they made a front h233b lol

They do for the patrol.

/>

They do for the patrol.

Really? I am going to have to look into this, when I do my sas/4bt swap I was going to use a Dana 44 upfront and the h322b in the rear, I'm curious about the ford 9" on the length and if they make a front axle in the 9" because with the torque of the diesel I'm expecting to break the 44 but I don't want to cut down a Dana 60 (especially the front) and loose axle clearance for strength.

Plus I assume the h322 front axle will be a lot harder to find after market parts for, but might be worth it for strength... Well after work I'm going to do some research, I shall post my results comparing front ends

Plus I assume the h322 front axle will be a lot harder to find after market parts for, but might be worth it for strength... Well after work I'm going to do some research, I shall post my results comparing front ends

The patrol has a much better aftermarket support than the pathfinder, but getting a diff from overseas would far surpass the price in just buying something local.

No, your rear axle is already a solid axle and is already really strong. Most will tell you it's stronger than a ford 9". And i beleive it. YOu only have to get longer springs if you raise the front any with your sas. as for the housing, i think steevo sells that as just the housing, but im not sure. There are a few threads in the how to section HERE of people that have done their own SAS. each are unique.

I do sell the housing as a separate piece but I also offer all the pieces to get it together.

Shafts, hubs, brakes, locking hubs, H233B 3rd member, gears, lockers, gear install kits etc.

Here are some facts for you...

Dana 44

Ring Gear: 8.5"

Axle Diameter:

Axle Splines:

Nissan H233B:

Ring Gear: 9.17"

Axle Diameter: 1.31"

Axle Splines: 33 (on the Xterra)

Ford 9"

Ring Gear: 9"

Axle Diameter: 1.33"

Axle Splines: 31

*Pinion has additional bearing for support which adds significant strength under load.

Dana 60:

Ring Gear: 9.75"

Axle Diameter: 1.50"

Axle Splines: 35

Keep in mind that the H233B in the WD21 pathfinder is a 31 spline @ 1.28" diameter.

Really? I am going to have to look into this, when I do my sas/4bt swap I was going to use a Dana 44 upfront and the h322b in the rear, I'm curious about the ford 9" on the length and if they make a front axle in the 9" because with the torque of the diesel I'm expecting to break the 44 but I don't want to cut down a Dana 60 (especially the front) and loose axle clearance for strength.

This is correct, The fronts are only 31 spline, but they have 33 spline aftermarket upgrades out there. They've been doing this in the patrols since the mid 80's and they are also high pinion. (but it's really not that big of a difference between low and high pinion on the H233B)

However, the Front H233B in the patrols is a passenger side drop and is opposite of what we'd require here.

Also, the birfields on the Front H233B from nissan are the weak spot, so building the diamond axle up using the D60 steering components not only is easier to get parts for but it a stronger setup.

/>

I do sell the housing as a separate piece but I also offer all the pieces to get it together.

Shafts, hubs, brakes, locking hubs, H233B 3rd member, gears, lockers, gear install

Also, the birfields on the Front H233B from nissan are the weak spot, so building the diamond axle up using the D60 steering components not only is easier to get parts for but it a stronger setup.

I will be in contact about the upgrades in the rear h233b im interested in upgrading to a 33 spline etc etc I'm sure there is a hole list of parts ill need

Diamond axle using d60 steering components, this interested me, I haven't heard anything about this, could you point me in a direction?

Btw sorry for the thread jacking lol

In its stock setting a h233 is bullet proof. It maybe stronger then 9inchs but the 9 inch has been around 50s years.

If your looking at larger tires then say 35s I would look at a HI9 or 9.75 for the rear. If your looking for 40+ I would run a 14 bolt.

Wow, I just read this old thread.. A lot of info and a lot of hate lol

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/22801-front-axle-options-for-sas/

Even tho it's a front axle thread they give a lot of information on rear options as well. What especially interest me is the breaking strength on axle shafts! I would have to agree with nismothunder, stock h233b in the rear is flipping strong! Upgrade here and there you'll be good to run up to 35, I'd even say 36 but any larger you'll be pushing it. If you want indestructible rear, 14b is the way to go and if I'm not mistaken its cheaper than a d60

So SteevO, all I gotta do is buy an axle off of a wagoneer or something, and you sell all of the other required parts to put it together? And the 3rd member is the same as the axle housing right?

Also when I do the swap I don't have to mess with the gears or anything on my rear axle do I?

Sorry for asking so many dumb questions...