Welders, i want one, tell me what i should get.

ferrariowner123

Hello all,

I've decided i want to learn how to weld, and as much as i want to learn TIG, cant really afford one. But I don't want to do stick or flux core.

My budget is $500 out the door, for just the welder, i under stand ill need a cart, gas blah blah, that's later.

So i really dont know what i should get, but i mainly want to be able to make things like exhaust systems, headers, engine mounts, body work, things of that nature, normal 110v ish so i dont have a 220 put in, This looks a good deal, with some cash left over.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/autoarc-130-mig-welder-value-package

But anything with "value package" usually scares the crap out of me.

It looks like decent deal, as well as this

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/hobart-handlerreg%3B-140-mig-welder

Out of my price range, but it looks like it can weld a little thicker material?

IDK, what do you guys think i should look at?

I know brands make a difference, so just fill me in.

-Kyle

As far as brands, IMO, its red (Lincoln) vs blue (Miller) and a Hobart is technically a Miller, Miller bought them out. Don't worry about brands, just stick to those though. No Harbor Freight, Auto Arc, Century, stay away from that stuff. This is my opinion. Somebody may love their Craftsman or Snap On but I'd stick to those 3.

Short and sweet, I'd look for a used unit. I think a Miller 135 is the bees knees for what you are looking for. Don't be scared of used welders, basically just try the unit out. If they don't let you, don't buy it. Used is also good because normally you can also get the bottle, gloves, hood etc with it.

But if you must have new, that Hobart is a fine choice. The Lincolns from Lowes/Home Depot aren't bad either, but I've read different things about how they aren't made quite as nice as what your local welding shops (LWS) will get. Also, check with them. My shop will sometime have refurb units for a good price or have a really good deal and may even throw in gloves/hood.

Also, do you have a local community college that teaches welding? They may not let you jump into TIG, but you'll learn a lot wherever you start (they may make you take gas/stick even before MIG) and you'll get your money back using their gas/rods/wire/scrap metal etc.

I had a century, lincln bought them out a while back. If I was going to get a new welder I would go with a miller, they are common enough parts are easy to come by.

I would suggest going for the 220 if you want to do any real welding.110 is good for small things but I wouldn't trust the penetration for something like a sas. Depends what you want it for but I have used a bunch of 110 welders and they just don't compare. I absolutely love my Lincoln MIG Pak 180. It has amazing penetration. Rated up to half inch steel plate with flux core. That's thick. It runs flux core or can use MIG gas and all the hardware comes with it. It also has the ability to use spot weld timer, and a spool gun to weld aluminum. Extremely versatile and I got it brand new on sale for 450$. I have seen them on Craigslist for around 375 in good shape.

Just my 2c but to me a good welder makes ALL the difference, you can just do so much more with a 220 vs a 110 welder and its something you don't want to buy twice when you want to do a bigger project.

Also, as was said before. Lincoln, or miller. Any brand made by them is fine too I guess (century, hobart) but from what I have used; It has to be Lincoln or miller. They are the standards for a reason.

Edited by Nefarious

In and out I am a ready welder fan when it comes to getting a High amp welder on a budget.
Sure its expensive but find a Plug in Mig that will weld 1/2" plate for less than $1000
Invest in one of these and a pair of deep cycle batteries and you welding becomes portable and flexible.
Use with Flux core, gas or Dual Shield (my favorite) Using 3 batteries I was able to to weld on 1" thick Clevis loops and make the opposite side of a 3/8 plate glow after welding a joint together. That's all the penetration you need right there!

Now for body work and thin metals; by all means get a little plug in welder that you can dial down easily to not burn holes in things.

X2 on the Hobart Handler 140 if you buy new. I've been looking into getting a welder for a long time now (just haven't done it yet) and for the 110V units, that is exactly the model I have decided to get; it is the best bang for buck and is highly rated. Miller bought Hobart to get their patented drive system, so what does that tell you? Also if you get that model, the 'new' ones have 5 heat settings instead of 4 AND a cast aluminum drive frame (or whatever) instead of plastic so make sure you get the 'new' version.

Ok, I had to look. I'm pretty sure the model # you would want is the

Hobart 500559 Handler

http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-500559-Handler/dp/B009X43F38/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372969162&sr=8-1&keywords=hobart+handler+140

not the

Hobart 500500 Handler

http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-500500-Handler-115-Volt-Single-Phase/dp/B0002PS7SA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1372969395&sr=8-3&keywords=hobart+handler+140

B

I've been looking into welders too. I found an adult welding class with a local metal artist who's been welding longer than I've been alive. We went over stick, mig, tig, and acetylene (welding, cutting, and brazing). Only problem is, now I want one of each. :laugh:

I figure I'll make a microwave oven transformer stick welder and buy a gas MIG, and see how far that gets me. I'll definitely watch this thread for makes and models. :aok:

I have this one from Eastwood (great company). It's $340

p42423.jpg

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-110vac-135a-output.html

Got it with the plasma cutter and cart and some other goodies.

I was like you a few years ago. Wanted to learn, took some classes at a local artists studio, now it's all I ever want to do in my free time.