Electrical question for all you "Sparky's" out there

theexbrit

Hi all, I have a question regarding a solar battery charger.

I bought the Harbor Freight 1.5w solar panel battery trickle charger for when I'm parked & have my radios, lights, etc, on.I mounted it on the roof & my question is can I leave it connected to the battery 24/7, even when the truck is running & the alternator is working or will it damage something. I would think the alternator would overide the solar panel or maybe they would both be delivering a charge to the battery? Will it damage the solar panel if it's in "competition" with the alternator?

Thanks.

From a search I just did on Google I've read different things, all basically say you need something, either a controller or a diode between the solar panel and the battery.

The sites I looked at said you can damage the battery if the solar panel is connected directly to the battery as it could over charge the battery, I guess this would depend on the size of the solar panel as well.

One guy said to connect a high wattage high temp diode in line with the output from the panel to the battery's positive and another in the line coming from the Alternator to the positive on the battery, these will only allow the power to flow one way, towards the battery and not from the alternator back to the solar panel.

Another person said to use a solar panel controller.

Do some more research before you connect your panel.

• Like 1

A power diode in series with the solar panel and an auto trickle charger wired up into the current path as to not overcharge the battery. There are many simple to make circuits online that you can make yourself with some solder and project breadboard. I recall seeing a few simple trickle charger circuits on there that could be used to DIY it. Or you could just buy one I guess Haha.

• Like 1

Just to confirm this is actually a 1.5W solar panel?

To put this in perspective my cellphone has a 5W charger and won't even register a charging status if I plug it into a old-school 2.5W USB1.1 port.

An entire 12 hours of sunlight (assuming direct sun and 100% generation for the entire time) would only produce 1.3 amp hours.. You'd have to leave your truck parked for many weeks before that would become a problem. As for damaging the solar panel when running the truck? Unlikely. If the battery doesn't blow it up, neither will the extra 2V produced by the alternator.

I'd just hook it up straight to the battery and forget about it.

• Like 1

To put this in perspective my cellphone has a 5W charger and won't even register a charging status if I plug it into a old-school 2.5W USB1.1 port.

The probable reason your cellphone wont charge off of a usb 1.1 port is the fact that the data pins dont have the correct voltages applied in the centre of the usb connector. Apples and Bberries are very bad for this. It's only a gimmick to make you require their charger but it will still work with modern computers of course.

And no I would not hook up the 1.5W source directly to the battery. Leave it in a blazing sun for too long and you will have a definite cooked battery. If you lived in the north where I do, you might get away with it for a while. In the south; the desert... no. Use a trickle charger circuit. It is very simple and inexpensive. It may cost a whopping 7$ if you splurge.

Hell, I will put one together myself for a few bucks if you want just make sure to protect your battery. They are a lot more expensive than a simple circuit.... Keep in mind a 1.5W rating on a solar panel is an average. It is based on a normal day. If you are in a brutally (by my standards) hot place in the south you will definitely be generating a lot more than 1.5W. Food for thought.

Edited by Nefarious
  • Like 1

Hi all, I have a question regarding a solar battery charger.

I bought the Harbor Freight 1.5w solar panel battery trickle charger for when I'm parked & have my radios, lights, etc, on.I mounted it on the roof & my question is can I leave it connected to the battery 24/7, even when the truck is running & the alternator is working or will it damage something. I would think the alternator would overide the solar panel or maybe they would both be delivering a charge to the battery? Will it damage the solar panel if it's in "competition" with the alternator?

Thanks.

I was thinking about a solar controller, that's probably the easiest way I guess. Thanks.

Doesn't it come with some simple overcharging protection, the other (and best) way in my book is to wire it up with a switch so you can shut it down any time you like... ;)

B

• Like 1

An entire 12 hours of sunlight (assuming direct sun and 100% generation for the entire time) would only produce 1.3 amp hours.. You'd have to leave your truck parked for many weeks before that would become a problem. As for damaging the solar panel when running the truck? Unlikely. If the battery doesn't blow it up, neither will the extra 2V produced by the alternator.

I was thinking about just connecting it straight to the battery, I mean it's only 1.5w, but nefarious my have a point.....

And no I would not hook up the 1.5W source directly to the battery. Leave it in a blazing sun for too long and you will have a definite cooked battery. If you lived in the north where I do, you might get away with it for a while. In the south; the desert... no. Use a trickle charger circuit. It is very simple and inexpensive. It may cost a whopping 7$ if you splurge.

Hell, I will put one together myself for a few bucks if you want just make sure to protect your battery. They are a lot more expensive than a simple circuit.... Keep in mind a 1.5W rating on a solar panel is an average. It is based on a normal day. If you are in a brutally (by my standards) hot place in the south you will definitely be generating a lot more than 1.5W. Food for thought.

Doesn't it come with some simple overcharging protection, the other (and best) way in my book is to wire it up with a switch so you can shut it down any time you like... ;)

B

I don't know if it has an overcharging protector, with Harbor Freight you're lucky to get a box. :laugh:

I bought a $12 solar controller that prevents overcharging & doesn't let the current flow back to the solar panel so I guess I'll just stick that on to be on the safe side.

I know nothing of the topic at hand and am just reading to learn/watch outcomes but can no longer bite my tongue as this comment

/>I don't know if it has an overcharging protector, with Harbor Freight you're lucky to get a box. :laugh:

Just made me knock over my gummy bears laughing ... You cause me more work to enjoy my delicious chewy animal shaped snacks! I'm just happy I didn't take a drink before reading it! :chairfall:

I don't know if it has an overcharging protector, with Harbor Freight you're lucky to get a box. :laugh:

I bought a $12 solar controller that prevents overcharging & doesn't let the current flow back to the solar panel so I guess I'll just stick that on to be on the safe side.

Touche! :D

And if you do, it has almost as much value as the product inside! :lmao:

The few I have looked at (not HF) always said something about overcharging protection, but I've never bought/used one so I don't know what that is worth. :shrug:

B

• Like 1

I have the Battery Life+ Solar2 http://batterylife.com/chargers/blsolar2/

And it has safety features built into it such as Short circuit, open circuit, overheat & overcurrent. The instructions also say.

5.) The solar batter charger is now operating and can be left connected to the battery at all times to provide maintenance charging. However, it is good practice to check the battery periodically. If the battery is ever unusually warm, disconnect the charger immediately, and have the battery tested by a local technician.

Now that said, this 2.5w charger is rated at a constant charging rate of 180mA (.18A) and cannot maintain my Pathfinders battery for more than a week. But take into account where I live and that I do have items that constantly draw of the main battery, and know it. Having this one, I now wish I had opted for the 5w, 410mA (.41A) version, in hopes that it would extend the time a bit more. Solar chargers with such low ratings are not meant to maintain a battery that has a constant draw nor are they really meant to power devices. They are simply meant to maintain a battery in a vehicle that is not frequently run.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Probably not a good idea, because its not the V its the Amp that the alternator produces that would be an issue for the Solar panel. I have no experience with this personally, and haven't read anything about it, but at the very least i would put a diode in series with the solar panel because it will only come on one way and keep the alternator from sending amps to the panel and jacking it up. I have been an electronics technician now for 13 years, if that helps you at all. I am not knocking anyone else's opinion nor do i think my opinion is the end all be all so to speak. But i just thought i would throw my two cents into the pot. "also" im pretty sure that the radio / lights / ect... will draw way more amps than the solar panel can give back to it. I would probably go with a dual battery with a capacitor setup before the panel personally.

GL with your Pathy

Pat