Exhaust smells like engine running rich, no codes?

ahardb0dy

That's why I drive my Sentra to work, I can afford to fill it's 13.2 gallon tank once a week !!

PF gets better MPG than my old hardbody I can say that, the HB got around 9-10 MPG if I was lucky, with it's non OD automatic, 4.62 gears and 33's !

Edited by ahardb0dy

That's why I drive my Sentra to work, I can afford to fill it's 13.2 gallon tank once a week !!

I swallow my masculinity and drop the rag top of my '92 Mazda Miata for my DD. 32 MPG at 20+ years of age. Talk about fun? My little "Black Magic Woman" is a blast to drive!!

It's smelled rich since I had the JDM engine installed, so I don't think it's bad gas. I cleaned the MAF sensor not too long ago, new O2 sensor a while back also. Don't think any vacuum lines are off, the engine runs perfect just smells like it's running rich.

I hear ya on the Miata, I got to drive one back to the shop (from a dealer) when they first came out, barely fit in the thing !!

My daily commute is 38 miles one way, 95% turnpike driving, usually running late so normal speed is 75-80, sentra is averaging about 29 MPG, it's a 90 with almost 250K on it and no internal engine work done to it at all, I did replace the stock 4 speed manual with a new 5 speed though.

Thinking out of the box here....

Spark plugs? What heat range did you use? Your a nissan guy, I'm sure they are NGK's.

What's the engine timing at? When's the last time you checked it?

Throttle body clean? Engine grounds all attached?

Plugs are NGK V-groove replaced at 185,806 miles, now at 211,150, normal heat range, didn't ask for anything special when I bought them.

Cap and rotor look ok but were on the engine when I bought it, should be replaced I guess, engine runs great and is strong.

Never have checked the timing,

Will have to check the TB, I have one ground wire off, others should be on, have an extra 4 gauge ground from a starter bolt to the frame.

Engine is JDM but has my US TB on it as JDM TB did not have provision for cruise.

Edited by ahardb0dy

The O2 sensor won't throw a code so check the output with a meter, hot and cold. Can't remember the value range, but it is here and/or in the FSM...

Also, the temp sensor for the ECU, check it as well...

B

O2 sensor was replaced about 15K ago, Don't think the Cat is clogged the truck runs great and as I said the engine feels very strong.

Thanks for the info will check things when I get a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking exhaust leak somewhere pre-cat. Thus the mixture reaching the O2 sensor appears lean and it is feeding back to the ECU to enrich the fuel mixture.

As you well know, exhaust manifold leaks are very common on our trucks. If you've already replaced the studs, have a look at the Y - pipe area or flange. I had a small hole in that area that was stinking up my truck and was easily welded closed.

Thinking out of the box here....

Spark plugs? What heat range did you use? Your a nissan guy, I'm sure they are NGK's.

What's the engine timing at? When's the last time you checked it?

Throttle body clean? Engine grounds all attached?

Even if these ideas dont clear up yourt issue I think it is a great idea to do them!

But I would bet they do fix it, or at least make it better!!!

• 4 weeks later...

im with the guy that said exhaust leak pre cat. would cause poor MPG and a rich smell. If you want to recheck the O2 easy way is put it in a vice and ground the negative lead of a V meter to the side of the O2 sensor between the O2 and the vice. Put a propane torch on the end of the sensor and make sure the voltage goes upto around 1V usually and then remove the heat, the voltage should start falling right when you take the heat away, if it falls but it delays. "sluggish" O2, will also cause this kind of issue.

Hope you figure it out.

Pat