95 pathy not starting..not like all others.

4x4troy

ok i was driving on the highway and all the gauges stopped,the ac stopped and the radio stopped working...no power. i pulled over and shut the pathy off to look under hood to make sure i did not loose a belt. did not see nothing wrong so i got back in and went to start it....nothing...the relay under dash makes a click noise...thats it. i can unplug the connection next to the battery and run a jumper to it with the key on and it will start...but dash gauges still dont work nor does ac or radio.....any ideas on what to hell is going on...its a 95 xev6 auto 4x4.

The starter relay is under the hood on the pass. side inner fender (Blue), what did you unplug near the battery that you jumped? If you jumped something and it starts it sounds like power is not going from the ignition switch through the starter relay. If you can swap the starter relay for another blue one from somewhere and see if it starts, almost all the relays that are the same color are the same ( if they physically look the same, there is another one I've seen that also is blue that is different but it looks different too)

Did you check the fuses? Any blown? Any signs near the fusible links near the battery that anything may have melted?

Per the 95 FSM, the top row of fuses, far right is shown having to do with the gauge cluster and the radio, may want to check that one.

Edited by ahardb0dy

Per the 95 FSM, the top row of fuses, far right is shown having to do with the gauge cluster and the radio, may want to check that one.

in which fuse box..under hood or under dash?

The relays in the corner are for the blower and the AC (AC closest to firewall)

The silver box is the Dropping Resistor for the AT

The other relay near the battery is the Auto Amp Relay

Edited by Alkorahil

here are some pics...the blue relay on pass side has very small wires coming out of it.

n2_zpsefd9f55d.jpg

Grey is the inhibitor relay.

Blue is the Park/Neutral relay

Edited by Alkorahil

They both have to work for the truck to start. Download the service manual, the electrical system shows how it's all laid out.

Failure of one of these relays would explain the no-start but not the power failure. That sounds like a fuse blew, and they don't generally do that without provocation. Also the AC has its own fuse (radio and dash illumination are both on the Room Lamp fuse IIRC). So, +1 on checking the fuse links.

The thing that gets me is that it crapped out while being driven, but now you can start it. Are the battery cables tight/clean?

its alive......one fuse and the fusible links were replaced and she starts up......and the ac and radio work

Edited by 4x4troy

still needs work but atleast i can start it now.....oh and some jerk tired to steel it...destroyed the ignition cylinder and messed some other stuff up. so i have to treplace the steering column,door locks, and a few wiring harnesses...asshat cut a few.... but atleast he did not get it.

Get a gps tracker from ebay, you can get one for like less than $100 iirc and it's definatley worth it, especially after knowing that there are some thieving bastards after your rig.

Was this before or after the issue? If some fool's been hacking at your wiring, your starting problem is likely related.

Good to hear he/she failed... it's a pretty sad car thief who can't boost a WD21!

• 2 weeks later...

My car also does not want to start sometimes and the fuse under the dash that controls the AC and radio keeps blowing. Any thoughts on what might being going on?

• 2 years later...