After some un-avoidable rough driving my 93 is running rough..

MrEviLDeD

After the avoidance of an accident the RPM on the Pathfinder went very high. There was some swerving as well. Almost immediately after I could feel the difference in the running/driving. The truck runs rough. It didn't appear to be missing any timing strokes however the last few days I have noticed at start up it either starts fast, or needs to crank a few times (used to crank twice and start) and then starts.

I have also noticed a tapping noise since up in the left rocker/valve cover. Often it will subside and quieten however when the truck accelerates you can hear the tapping increase in loudness and of course speed. I do not hear any "Knocks".

I am going to get under the hood in the next couple of days to do a dry/wet compression test so I will have that data very soon.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some solid places to start to isolate this problem before it gets any worse.

The Haynes manual I have says for the 92+ Pathfinders that home mechanics are unable to set the timing so not sure what to do here as the costs for the dealership to perform this is way prohibitive as are most shop mechanic shops. Are there alternatives?

Any thoughts or suggestions (outside of the compression test(s) which I will do asap) on what could be the problem. I am just hoping that the rings or the valves are not damaged.

Thanks in advance,.

How high did it rev? Unless it's blowing smoke I wouldn't imagine the rings are bad. Valves maybe but unless you really revved the everloving piss out of it I doubt valve float would be an issue. From what I've heard these run into oil flow issues long before the valves would float, and that's bottom end, which doesn't seem to be the problem (and would likely throw a knock code if it was). Maybe one of the lifters collapsed?

Timing is set by the computer but I could swear I've read about people setting it manually. I doubt the timing is the issue, and if it is, try resetting the computer (disconnect power for a few minutes) to clear any codes that could be making it retard the timing. You might also check the timing belt just in case it jumped a tooth or two, but I suspect if it had you'd have a lot more than a ticking noise.

How high did it rev? If it revved high enough could have kissed a piston with a valve or two. Also, a high possibility is the timing belt skipped a tooth or two. As far as setting the timing. Just read your FSM for your year. It can most definitely be set by you.

She was red-lined for most likely 3-4 seconds.

I have not see any smoke being blown. I also to not see any fluid leaks on the ground and the oil seems to be oil. IE no gas or water...

I will reset the computer. In addition since posting I have read that it could be from a bad knock sensor, a bad o2 censor, dirty maf.

I never thought about the timing belt. I will get a light on there as well and see where it is.

Thanks for the prompt replies I appreciate it!

Here is a video of OHC lifter tick. Does it sound similar?

Yes, sounds a lot like this. I am unable to describe the sound but I also think there is some kind of blow back or squishing (sorry lol) of air being squeezed out. It isn't as dramatic a sound as the letters will describe but it is almost like a Fffft, Fffft, Fffft... I have noticed an increasing lack of power recently as well going up inclines. Normally the truck would easily climb a hill in 3rd without much problem, now I need to gear down to second and depending on the length of the hill it will be starting to bog down near the top unless I downshift again (I am thinking this is a different problem ie the clutch disc being worn) however it is in direct result of the rough driving (rev'd easily to 7000rpm a couple of times as I downshifted to help stop the truck)

The truck ran very smoothly before this incident and has progressively gotten worse. I have need to drive the vehicle and have been busy the last few days to do the proper tests such as the compression test. So I apologize for the pre-thinking phase to help understand the problems I might be looking at so I can look into those problems specifically.

The Pathfinder was just purchased by me and was bought from a garage. It really was in pretty tip top shape. well as tip top as a vehicle with 420k on it. So regretfully I am unsure when the belt was changed.

All in all I am pretty sure I broke something. :/

Compression test coming soon (hopefully tomorrow). Need to pick up a light to check the timing though and I haven't gotten to do that yet..

Edited by MrEviLDeD

Might I add I have not seen any smoke being blown. I also do not see any leaks. The oil seems to be staying at the proper levels. Which would rule out a head gasket right?

420k? :blink: Dayum these things last a long time.

If compression is good and it's not burning coolant, IMO you can rule out the head gasket. I would take a look at that timing belt sooner rather than later in case it's walking wounded.

Alright, I will also check the exhaust gaskets (thanks Precise1)

If I am going disassemble the timing bits I might as well replace the belt and tensioner correct?

I have heard talk about someone that sells Nissan parts and Nissan OEM I apologize for not remembering the name. Would anyone have a link to where to purchase those parts? I have looked at the Nissan parts website and WOW $.

Either way I will check the compression right after I pick the wife up from work this afternoon and will post the results.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Glad I found NPORA you guys/gals are great.

I guess it would be better for me to check the timing belt before I compression test? If there is a problem with the belt this would effect the results of the compression test correct?

Sorry for all the questions.