I broke another mirror. :(

So, while I was changing the transmission, I rolled out from under the truck, stood up and my shoulder bumped the D-side rear view, snapping it at the base.
This is the second power mirror I've had to replace. The first had been broken and swapped with a manual before I bought the truck.
I get the impression that these things aren't very sturdy.

I'm thinking that some sort of guard is in order. If nothing else, to protect my truck from it's clutz of an owner.

Has anyone ever built or bought anything like this?

Well they usually fold in from a horizontal impact but because your having issues with vertical impacts I guess you could make some kind of new mounting for it? Maybe having a mirror mounted on a balljoint, but you would loose the electric capability.

I had the same set of mirrors since 1992 until earlier this year when the car was crushed.

That included wheelin' in thick brush smackin' the mirrors, and trails where I had no place being. (John Bull and Deep Creek come to mind).

Slow down, they're not that brittle unless you're just buying junky mirrors to begin with.

Edited by 92Path_68CJ

No, it was a stock power mirror donated from the same year as mine. Snapped like a twig tho. I couldn't believe it.
Its not like I jumped up or anything. Just the act of raising up from a crouch and catching my shoulder broke it at the swivel.

Leo, I think you've got it right about the vertical impacts.

If nobody else has looked into this, I may tool around on Sketchup and see what I can come up with. I don't think it would take much to keep this from happening again.

The mirror itself can be disassembled (not terribly easy but probably easier that re-engineering the mount), and I imagine you could reinforce the replacement from the inside around where yours broke with some epoxy and fiberglass or whatever you've got laying around to firm up the plastic bit.

I was actually surprised at how solidly built my old one was when I took it apart, apart from the busted-off adjuster anyway.

Well, I suppose I'll have to be content with being alone on this. I still think its a good idea... or one that I'll obsess over for a while anyway.

Re-engineering ANYTHING is easy. Building is less so. Case in point...

MirrorGuards01b_zps930e516c.jpg

This sandwiches between the door and the mirror's base. Plate 1 is a spacer for plate 2, which should save the need to bend the tabs to match the door's contour.

I dot have the need but woul probably put those "cages" on my mirrors :lol: a couple zips with a welder and some metal stock and I could see those being not too bad to make. Now to figure out how to make them fold with the mirror as well...

• Like 1

I dot have the need but woul probably put those "cages" on my mirrors :lol: a couple zips with a welder and some metal stock and I could see those being not too bad to make. Now to figure out how to make them fold with the mirror as well...

If they folder with the mirrors, heck I'd buy a set of those.

I'm thinking that some sort of guard is in order. If nothing else, to protect my truck from it's clutz of an owner.

:lol: I always fold my mirrors in when I'm wheeling/mudding. Take a look at my pics and call me out if you find one with the mirrors extended (other than pics in my driveway). I've always felt that I was going to do some damage to them somehow. I am, however, surprised that you broke it so easily.

Now to figure out how to make them fold with the mirror as well...

I thought about that, but as far as my tires stick out, I've never really bothered folding them. With these rims, if I'm close enough to rub the mirror, I'm prolly close enough to rub sidewall. It's the crazy unforeseen stuff like I mentioned that I'm focused on avoiding.

However, I think this could be also be done by using the two screws at the bottom of the mirror base for attachment. I think a swivel would be easier there.