Clearing bigger tires

Hi, I joined a few weeks ago while searching for info about how to lift my friend's '03 Pathfinder. He doesn't get internet at his place and doesn't know much about cars so I told him I'd look into it..

I (really he) was hoping we could get away with some cheap(ish) spacer lift for under $200 after I saw some front spacers on eBay for $40... but my searching has led me to believe that's not going to happen since the shocks in the back will need to be replaced and the spacers are basically as much as the AC lift coils.

So I'm trying to talk him into getting the AC lift and piecing things together rather than jumping in... I was also waiting around someone here or somewhere would post some used stuff for sale but...

Then he texts me this afternoon saying that he just got used 265/70R17s put on, was gonna buy new but full tread wouldn't have fit :laugh: He claims they don't really scrub except when flexing and steering but I'm not sure I believe him...

Anyway, he came over and we pushed the fender liner forward and trimmed the front bumper a little and removed the mud flaps so it's drivable but I thought I'd share pics!

8703598616_c4d6074703_b.jpg

8702483099_7b05f5cb13_b.jpg
8703601170_d13f4bf50f_b.jpg

He's going to add some .75" wheel spacers I have (I'm hoping Nissan wheels will clear the Toyota hub-centric rings) this weekend and hopefully get a real suspension in soon.

Thanks for helping your buddy. You guys should create an account under his own name and let him log on (with your mechanical guidance, of course!) so that us NPORA members can form a relationship with him. Any way, thanks for helping him and asking for our opinions. I know we do not get the traffic that the Toyota sites get which has to be disappointing to you. However, we are an easy bunch to get along with. Cheers! :beer:

• Like 1

Nice. I remember your New Member thread.

Remember, with the AC coils. They do have the whole 'top out' issue until they settle for quite a while. But if your looking for a quicker fix. There are the IronMan springs available. A common vendor for them is Camel4x4.com . Each set is $120+shipping. Those give a solid 1.5" lift. Does tend to have a rake to it though. So other tend to run the NX4 spacers up front. There are the NX4 ones, and the ones from Fluery -> http://www.4x4design.com/Pathfinder_R50_96-04.html

Which will even out the front.

Shockwarehouse.com you can get a full set of KYBs for ~$220 shipped. Thats the front struts and rear shocks.

Bamn! For just about $500 you can have the springs and KYBs. Add about $150 more for the strut spacers if you want them. I would personally.

Otherwise, trying to squeeze those 32's under there. On a trail he will rub, scrap a lot. Even being used.

At the very least, could probably get away with a simple coil spring spacer under the rear springs to add about 1". Usually you can find em at Pepboys, Autozone for like $10 each or the set. I wouldnt trust them, but may be a quick bandaid for the immediate future. :shrug:

More pics! Keep us updated!

Rebelord

• Like 1

Oh, and check out Stoic's thread here on a way to lower that roof rack. Clean and simple way to do it. Dont have to use the bars he did, im sure some 1" square tubing would work just as well.

Thread -> http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/82167-My-2001-Pathfinder-(R50-)-mild-budget-build?p=1207452#post1207452

Thanks for helping your buddy. You guys should create an account under his own name and let him log on (with your mechanical guidance, of course!) so that us NPORA members can form a relationship with him. Any way, thanks for helping him and asking for our opinions. I know we do not get the traffic that the Toyota sites get which has to be disappointing to you. However, we are an easy bunch to get along with. Cheers! :beer:

I kinda tried but he doesn't have internet wherever he's living now and keeps brushing off my efforts. He got in a pretty serious wreck in his g35 coupe last year and I think he may still running a little slow, especially with things like browsing the forums with an iPhone. Plus he just trusts my judgement about this stuff and I guess doesn't trust his own. If he'd just gotten a 4runner like mine instead of that g35... :sly:

I only use t4r.org, it's not as crazy as TTORA, tacomaworld, or the fjcruiserforum. It gets a lot of action but I would say based on this post and the context, it's close.

Great rig btw! Well from your sig pic anyway.

Oh, and check out Stoic's thread here on a way to lower that roof rack. Clean and simple way to do it. Dont have to use the bars he did, im sure some 1" square tubing would work just as well.

Thread -> http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/82167-My-2001-Pathfinder-(R50-)-mild-budget-build?p=1207452#post1207452

Thanks for the link that's awesome! we're gonna have to try that soon.

The lift you recommended sounds good, there are a few used parts on here I'm inquiring about before I tell him to pull the trigger on new stuff but I think he's gonna make some moves soon since he jumped the gun on the tires.

Also, he will be doing basically zero off-roading and is 2wd. He purely wants the looks and seems to be extremely satisfied with what he has now, but that will run out quick after those wheels travel just a little.... or he's looking at some hottie on campus then takes a corner and she starts laughing because his truck sounds like he's got baseball cards in the spokes...

Oh man, sorry to hear about the wreck. With that in mind now. If he has any back problems or anything that a rougher ride would fatigue or hurt after awhile. Then IronMan is the way to go. You get the lift, but retain stock ride quality. The AC lift I hear is pretty rough. But I'm also used to driving a older '80 and '82 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy's. Now, thats a rough ride!

his truck sounds like he's got baseball cards in the spokes...

That sir, has been the funniest line I have read recently.

I would get the front spring lift, but honestly after doing it: Save the time and headache and just get the SFD kit...or make it yourself.

I had no problem selling the slightly used 2" rear lift, but I could have saved dough by just going straight to the SFD and front lift. :)

I would get the front spring lift, but honestly after doing it: Save the time and headache and just get the SFD kit...or make it yourself.

I had no problem selling the slightly used 2" rear lift, but I could have saved dough by just going straight to the SFD and front lift. :)

We need to do some trails together...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in response, I'm apparently not subscribed to this thread and forgot to check back.

We haven't done anything yet to it. He apparently is ok with whatever rubbing is going on. We're gonna get some 1" wheel adapters since my .75" adapters wouldn't fit (they have a toyota hub-centric ring). I think he's going to cheap out on lift and get spacers up front and something legit out back then redo the front down the road. I've got a guy who did some welding for me that'll give him a deal on the wheel spacers but I've been putting him off a little about it because I know they're gonna make the rubbing worse, I want him to lift it first.

Oh man, sorry to hear about the wreck. With that in mind now. If he has any back problems or anything that a rougher ride would fatigue or hurt after awhile. Then IronMan is the way to go. You get the lift, but retain stock ride quality. The AC lift I hear is pretty rough. But I'm also used to driving a older '80 and '82 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy's. Now, thats a rough ride!

That sir, has been the funniest line I have read recently.

No problem, he seems to have recovered pretty well just not 100% yet. I don't think he's got any problems like that but I suppose I should ask.

Are you talking about a subframe drop kit? I don't think he wants to get that crazy with it. I'm thinking 2-3" that can be achieved with coils will do the trick. Why do you recommend the bigger lift? Wouldn't one of those cost a lot? Don't get me wrong, I spent a lot on my suspension but I don't think needs anything beyond what works with the tires he wants/already bought.

Nice work with the Dremel :) What's the white truck in the first pic? Got any more pics of it? I like the wheels.

Thanks! That's my truck, '03 4runner, too many mods to list here. Do I have any more pics? :laugh:

Build thread link is in my signature but here it is again - http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/68031-gaterose-build-thread.html - did all the work myself so I'm well capable of wrenching on my buddy's pathy, just wanna make sure I help him pick the right parts for what he needs.

Not gonna plug up your Nissan board with Toyota pictures but here are a couple teasers -

8480566030_63289470b1_b.jpg

8479473305_3895c6447a_b.jpg

Wheels are BBS/TRD RWD 18x9s plasti-dipped black then 'metalized' to give the gun metal color, if you look at the thread you'll see I'm a fan of gun metal wheels.

2" of lift is the max you will get with coils on the Pathfinder. That is with the AC lift. OME, Ironman are both about 1.75" with Fluerys/NX4 spacers up front.

The subframe drop can be either 2" or 4". The base kit is $495, but you still need a few things. But they offer that for $210 more. Plus you still need a set of rear WJ springs to match the front. Available from Krypton Fabrications.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of progress today, we ordered the AC lift, alignment cams, 1.25" wheel spacers, KYB struts and shocks, and a KCCO sticker (at least 10 hp, right?) this evening.

We also stopped by HD and picked up some square tubing to lower the rack in the next couple of days. (thanks stioc!)

And my buddy picked up a new(ish) set of takeoff 265/70R17 GYSAs for a great deal from the stealership he works at. He's gonna replace the old worn ones he's running now after the lift is on. Full tread ones won't fit as it sits now lol

I have a feeling we're gonna have to trim again after the spacers, but hopefully not too much since it's going up

Pics to come.

• 3 months later...

wheel spacers will make the tires fit worse as they are going to push them out further, same as using the wrong offset wheel, you want the tire tucked under the fender not sticking out where the tire has more of a chance to hit the fender. Of course if the truck gets lifted enough it won't matter.