4x4 hi/lo

I only seem to have 2 positions on my 4x stick 4wd hi & 2wd hi even though as far as i can tell there should be 4. 2wd hi, 4wd hi, neutral, & 4wd lo anyone else having this issue or had it in the past? What might cause it and how is it fixed?

You have to push down on the shifter and pull back to get the rest. It is a safety feature to keep you from hitting 4wd low while shifting on the fly. If it is really stiff, there is a linkage bracket on the transfer case dirvers side IIRC that could use some cleaning/lube.

B

To go into Neutral and then into 4 Low, the transmission must also be in Neutral, be it manual or auto.

Umm..not so. You can change hi/lo range with transmission in gear. I know cause I've done it even while rolling (not recommended really).

Umm..not so. You can change hi/lo range with transmission in gear. I know cause I've done it even while rolling (not recommended really).

On an autotragic you'll grind. Take your time and do it in neutral. What's the rush?

Both answers where very helpful especially since I'm gonna be doing me first bit of serious wheelin soon

The three most important things I tell my son about wheeling offroad ( and for those learning) I'm not ranking these in any particular order, if you make a mistake on any one you probably get stuck: 1. Pick your line carefully; 2 Don't go in the same deep ruts made by vehicles bigger than yours, you'll just get high centered, instead straddle and try to drive between the ruts; 3 Once you're in the muck and you feel your about to get stuck, don't stop! Just keep going and start working the front wheel back and forth to find some traction, keep those tires spinning with occasional blips of the throttle to clear the tires.

These are my personal guidelines cause I'm always alone wheen wheeling so I have to be careful and don't have a winch..or a Wench too...

Most issues you'll deal with while wheelin are in my estimation much more about traction than power / low end torque, you probably won't encounter any situations where you'd acutally need to shift into 4 Low.

Lol thanks for all the advice and its not my first time ever wheelin just first time in my pathfinder I'm goin with a local club there'll be bout 80 ppl there total hittin the trail in groups of 5-10 @ a time lotsa folks to pull out and be pulled out by

I've found 4LO useful in situations with lousy traction (trying to drive uphill through a foot of fresh snow on street tires for example). In 4HI, I had to really goose it to get the tires moving, and then they broke traction and spun out. In 4LO it got enough traction to get out of the driveway. I suspect it's also easier on the torque converter, meaning the fluid heats up less.

I've also heard that it's good for steep descents.

And yeah, if you try to get in 4LO with it in gear, you're gonna have a bad time.

Edited by Slartibartfast

4lo is not about power, it's about control, and preserving your drivetrain. Regardless of which type of transmission you have, 4lo is usually the right choice on the trail if you need 4wd.

Exceptions are certain muddy situations where wheelspin and momentum are helpful, and snow on the highway. 4lo requires much less clutch work in a manual, and is easier on a torque converter in an automatic. Mechanical slippage is the enemy. It also preserves your brakes while descending hills.