Brake fluid from around seal

JackStraw1

I'm in the middle of doing front brakes and rotors today. I compressed one of the caliper pistons and was compressing the other piston with a C-clamp and a little bit of fluid came out from aroung the seal and the seal appeared a little "puffy". I was able to milk out a little more fluid until the seal/boot looked like the other one.

There did not appear to be any fluid when I first took everything apart

Is this going to be a problem ? Did I blow this seal/boot and will it continue to leak if re-asssembled ?

Yeah, thats what i was thinking. That rubber thing is just a dust seal anyway right ? there should be no leaking while compressing that piston. Just backward flow into the reservoir ?

If the piston is corroded on the outside, replacing the seal might not be sufficient either. You may need to replace the piston as well or just replace the entire unit. Just don't skimp on the brakes, Bud. ;)

B

Ok. So I decided to replace the calipers. I also found a leaking hub seal and ended up replacing those and re-packing bearings.

When switching out the brake lines, I just let the fluid run a little until I got it hooked up and tightened down on the new caliper. When I was done, I noticed that 1/2 the master cylinder reservoir was empty and the other half was full. I'm guessing the empty side was to the front brakes. So I refilled the reservoir and bled the brakes.

Although I'm getting clean brake fluid out with no air at each site, I still have a very soft brake pedal that goes all the way to the floor.

I have re-bled several times. I think I may have gotten air in the master cylinder and need to bench bleed this again.

BTW, the master cylinder is new and was installed just a few weeks ago. It was working fine prior to this little adventure.

Appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Did you make sure that you put the calipers on the right side? There is an L and R stamped on them. The bleeders should be at the top of the caliper. I made this mistake when I first started working on my truck, took me hours to figure out why it would bleed solid fluid but had no pedal lol.

If you have them on right it is likely that you got air into the master. You could just keep bleeding it on the truck but that takes forever.

Edited by adamzan

Thanks Adamzan.

I thought of that just a little while ago ! I'll check when I get home. It finally stopped raining here so hopefully I'll finish this today.

Edited by JackStraw1

Son of a beech. Adamzan was spot on ! Calipers were switched. That's got to be one of the biggest bone-headed moves I've pulled. Thanks for helping me figure it out !

Did you make sure that you put the calipers on the right side? There is an L and R stamped on them. The bleeders should be at the top of the caliper.

Your MC has separate reservoirs for the front and rear? :scratchhead:

That's what he was talking about.

I don't think it does, but when I looked in there the driver sided 1/2 was almost empty and the passenger side 1/2 was nearly full.

It's a new one as I mentioned. Dorman M39976

There is supposed to be separate parts. Its so if you lose one side or the front or back line (i don't remember) you still have something to stop with.