Which would you choose?

Leo94

If you had to choose between a pto box (Not winch) from a nissan safari or a set of 5 near new deepish 15x8 sunraysia wheels which would you choose? I'm leaning more towards the pto box, maybe it could be used for some future project? wd21 or not.

These aren't the actual wheels, they just look similar
7421ci0_20_zpsdf718825.jpeg

Had to wikipedia what a PTO box was...now I'm very curious what type of application the PTO box was doing on the Safari and what ideas you have in mind for it.

Buy the wheels and send me yours as a belated birthday gift :lol:

I'm not sure how hard it is to source those wheels are on your side of the pond but they can be pretty easy to find here as they were/are not to hard to see rolling by on a 1/2 ton 4x Chevy. I would personally go for the PTO if you have a use for it (whether it be current or planned) but also don't know the avalability/value of that over there :shrug:

It looks like you already have some decent rims, so the PTO could be handy. Which could you sell for more? :D

B

Thanks, but the problem is that they are aluminium. I would like to get steel wheels in the future and these sunraysia's are steel. Also the thing about the pto is that i can't actually see it running as the engine is out of the vehicle but I suppose that it would still be worth abit more than the rims.

Had to wikipedia what a PTO box was...now I'm very curious what type of application the PTO box was doing on the Safari and what ideas you have in mind for it.

They came as a factory option on the safari to power the front PTO winch, you could either get that or an electric winch. My original idea on the pto was to either find a way to put it in the wd21 like another forum member on here has done (I think passengerpete?), or I have something much more unique in mind that is so crazy it just might work :crossedwires:

Buy the wheels and send me yours as a belated birthday gift :lol:

I'm not sure how hard it is to source those wheels are on your side of the pond but they can be pretty easy to find here as they were/are not to hard to see rolling by on a 1/2 ton 4x Chevy. I would personally go for the PTO if you have a use for it (whether it be current or planned) but also don't know the avalability/value of that over there :shrug:

These wheels are very common here but not usually a deep dish version like this one. The PTO from a safari however is a really rare item and if i didnt end up using it i'm sure I could sell it to one of the patrol guys for a decent profit hence why i'm leaning more towards the PTO.

PTO box. Wagon wheels don't do anything for me.

Here they are manufactured as caravan/trailer wheels but 9/10 they are on 4 wheelers. The reason that I even considered these wheels is because I don't usually see them with this kind of offset, although a PTO is much more rare and even though it doesn't come with the winch I do have another idea that I could use it for if I get my hands on it.

Okay I think I can say for sure that I will get the PTO box if I get a chance, but now I'm thinking if I should get the gearbox also as some of the boxes had a blank off plate that you can just remove and install a PTO box and some had the part where the PTO box mounts to just casted with the case so you can't install one. The problem is that I don't have a cherry picker and wouldn't have any way of moving it around with any mechanical aid. Do you guys think that if the PTO box and transfer box were to be separated from the gearbox that two people could pick up the gearbox and move it around? I am reasonably fit so maybe me and one or two other people could kinda pick it up and move it slowly, even if it is only just lifted from the ground.

Good choice :) Interested to see what mad science you have planned.

The rims are a commodity item so they are really worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them. The PTO box is a speciality item which I'm sure you will still be able to sell if things don't work out and put that cash into another fun project.

From the pics I've seen of the PTO box I can see what you mean about moving it...it seems like a heavy piece of equipment. I'm sure with brains and brawn and a lot of dollies and jacks you can move it.

Best of luck...cheers

Well the way In see it, tons of trailers come with wagon wheels today, and they were very common in the 70s.

To me, they're just not interesting, but as you say they are harder to find in the offset in your area.

I would go for the PTO, it's the old time Jeep in me talking.

Several companies made PTO winches for Jeeps once upon a time. P...

Good choice :) Interested to see what mad science you have planned.

The rims are a commodity item so they are really worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them. The PTO box is a speciality item which I'm sure you will still be able to sell if things don't work out and put that cash into another fun project.

From the pics I've seen of the PTO box I can see what you mean about moving it...it seems like a heavy piece of equipment. I'm sure with brains and brawn and a lot of dollies and jacks you can move it.

Best of luck...cheers

The PTO box itself shouldn't way too much by itself, it's the gearbox that i'm concerned about. Using a dolly didn't even cross my mind, thanks for the idea.

Ok I had a first hand look at the PTO box today and it is pretty small. The only thing that is really missing is the winch, all the other parts including the driveshaft and shifter are still there, so what do you guys think, get the gearbox also for the extra hassle or just leave it? Btw I didn't mention this earlier but I am getting this from my local wreckers that are closing down and are having a 50% off sale and I also have a voucher from them that is still valid that I can use. After having a good look around today I have found: a couple of vg30e engines, vg33e, vg30de, vq30de and a vq35de. I am really tempted to get one of those but I wouldn't have the space for them nor would I be able to do an engine conversion with an engine that has 20% more power than i currently have because I am 19 and my license doesn't allow it.

Ok I had a first hand look at the PTO box today and it is pretty small. The only thing that is really missing is the winch, all the other parts including the driveshaft and shifter are still there, so what do you guys think, get the gearbox also for the extra hassle or just leave it? Btw I didn't mention this earlier but I am getting this from my local wreckers that are closing down and are having a 50% off sale and I also have a voucher from them that is still valid that I can use. After having a good look around today I have found: a couple of vg30e engines, vg33e, vg30de, vq30de and a vq35de. I am really tempted to get one of those but I wouldn't have the space for them nor would I be able to do an engine conversion with an engine that has 20% more power than i currently have because I am 19 and my license doesn't allow it.

That's an interesting situation. If this is an everything must go type scenario I would use this opportunity to get the money back you have from your voucher and grab something of high value to resell and you get to keep the cash for anything you want. I admire you wanting to create something here but I see the bigger opportunity is to get your money back before they close and double/triple your investment. I would be looking at Skyline engines to flip or anything you see there of value engine wise.

How old do you have to be in Australia to mod your engine over 20%? Its an interesting law to say the least...I'm sure its tailored to the fast and the furious crowd and think it would be hard for them to prove that your engine upgrade gave you over 20%. I guess if you are lucky your 0-60 times would go down maybe 2 seconds...lol...get it down to under 10 seconds ;)

That's an interesting situation. If this is an everything must go type scenario I would use this opportunity to get the money back you have from your voucher and grab something of high value to resell and you get to keep the cash for anything you want. I admire you wanting to create something here but I see the bigger opportunity is to get your money back before they close and double/triple your investment. I would be looking at Skyline engines to flip or anything you see there of value engine wise.

How old do you have to be in Australia to mod your engine over 20%? Its an interesting law to say the least...I'm sure its tailored to the fast and the furious crowd and think it would be hard for them to prove that your engine upgrade gave you over 20%. I guess if you are lucky your 0-60 times would go down maybe 2 seconds...lol...get it down to under 10 seconds ;)

I won the voucher from a comp they had, all I had to do is send in a picture of my terrano and I won so its a win/win situation :happy:. This wrecking yard has no skylines, they had a 180sx but the engine would have gone quick. Engines like the vq35de or vg30de from a maxima are really overlooked by most customers especially if its from a maxima because people wouldn't even look there.

I am currently on my P Plates and here are the vehicle restrictions. Changing an engine with one that is more than a 20% in power increase from factory requires a "mod plate" for the engine. If a car has a mod plate for an engine P platers can't drive it unless they have an exemption. Mods like a turbo or supercharger also need a engine mod plate but most other stuff you can do it fine.

After having a good look around today I have found: a couple of vg30e engines, vg33e, vg30de, vq30de and a vq35de. I am really tempted to get one of those but I wouldn't have the space for them nor would I be able to do an engine conversion with an engine that has 20% more power than i currently have because I am 19 and my license doesn't allow it.

Ok, in the spirit of pushing the rules as far as possible without outright breaking them, I recommend picking up a VG33E. The VG30E (what you have, I assume) makes no more than 155 and the VG33E which makes no more than 170hp, only 10% more. Throw in the cams from the VG30e and you shouldn't be more than 15% of the stock VG30e HP. The fact that you use 95% of the VG30e components on the VG33E makes it an easy swap and they might not even notice that it is a different engine, but you are still with in the limits. You will enjoy the power difference and I dare say, maybe get better mileage on the highway at reasonable speeds.

Either that or check to see what motor sells for the most (and the fastest) and get that one to sell and buy goodies or just bank it for when it is needed. ;)

B

• Like 1

Ok, in the spirit of pushing the rules as far as possible without outright breaking them, I recommend picking up a VG33E. The VG30E (what you have, I assume) makes no more than 155 and the VG33E which makes no more than 170hp, only 10% more. Throw in the cams from the VG30e and you shouldn't be more than 15% of the stock VG30e HP. The fact that you use 95% of the VG30e components on the VG33E makes it an easy swap and they might not even notice that it is a different engine, but you are still with in the limits. You will enjoy the power difference and I dare say, maybe get better mileage on the highway at reasonable speeds.

Either that or check to see what motor sells for the most (and the fastest) and get that one to sell and buy goodies or just bank it for when it is needed. ;)

B

I have a vg30i (145 HP), so putting in a vg33e from a r50 (168 HP) would be a 15.9% increase. After the engine swap it doesn't really matter what I do (to a certain extent) because if it fits the requirements (which it does) I should not have to get a engine mod plate. That means I can do engine internals and what not but no forced induction. In the future I do plan on having a vg34 anyways. A vq engine would have been nice but they exceed the limit. But getting an engine might not be possible unless I find a place to put it as I have no hoist, That's why i'm keen on the pto box because the box itself is small and won't need a hoist.

Got it. Sorry, my mistake about theVG30e. Can you borrow a hoist and buy a cheap engine stand? It would be a great way to store it and move it around/out of the way if necessary. Not trying to convince you, just that the PTO seems to be something you'll sell and the VG33 is something you could une? :shrug:

B

Got it. Sorry, my mistake about theVG30e. Can you borrow a hoist and buy a cheap engine stand? It would be a great way to store it and move it around/out of the way if necessary. Not trying to convince you, just that the PTO seems to be something you'll sell and the VG33 is something you could une? :shrug:

B

I don't think I will be able to forgive you on that :D. I could probably hire a hoist and buy/make a stand. If i get the PTO I might keep it use it for the terrano as a regular winch PTO or a future vehicle (d21) and if it does go to the d21 it won't be used to power a winch :crossedwires: .

What state limits drivers to horsepower?

<br />

<br />Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

Every state in Australia

The State of Queensland, Australia... ;)

B

:yeahthat: We have a bunch of stupid laws, if you guys are interested I could list some of them.

It would be really sad to see these nissan engines go to the crushers though which is what might happen to most of them and once they're gone, they're gone! That is why when I pull a part from a vehicle from the wreckers I try and be as least wastefull as I can In hope that maybe someone would take the vehicle and use it as a trail rig if it can't be road registered (Statutory Write-off). Man, if I had the money, time and space I would salvage those two beautiful black terranos and take all those nissan engines home (wishful thinking).

I'm thinking maybe get the pto and wait till the wreckers are really close to closing down, that way I might be able to get some of those engines for dirt cheap (If I can find a place to put them), after all they would be getting scrap metal value if they send it to be crushed so I could probably purchase it for a little more. BTW are there any usefull parts that could be taken from the maxima (A30, A33). They are also selling allot of their equipment such as forklifts, tire machines, industrial air compressors and a whole lot of other stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

They want around $450 for a vg motor and about $55 for the pto. They said that the engines that don't sell would go to an engine reconditioner. Oh yeh and the wheels are gone, I guess ill take the PTO, a dashboard (around $145 i think) and whatever else I can find.

Picked up the PTO box today. When I pulled it, I was glad to see fresh oil come out of the box, too bad a mint gq safari is going to get crushed :( The pictures are after I removed most of the dirt, it was really caked on there.
th_23042013404_zpsbbb41acd.jpg th_23042013403_zps9aa4d867.jpg th_23042013402_zpsf3c44e6c.jpg th_23042013401_zpsa6d33da4.jpg

Click the pictures for a larger image.

• Like 1