88 XE owner in SLT.

69cory420

My name is Cory, I'm 19 and a proud owner of a 1988 Nissan Pathfinder XE model. I currently have 328,xxx miles, and still chuggin and muddin, I currently reside in the beautiful South Lake Tahoe, California. I'm currently in the process of trying to find some full width axles to do a nice SAS and extend the rear out on the sides, so if anyone resides in the Reno/Tahoe/ Carson city area, keep an eye out for me, I'm looking for a d44 for the front and a d70 for the rear, preferrably the same gear ratios but I won't push my luck. And as whomever is reading this right now is wondering why I want a d70 for the rear, its to accommodate for my future plans of dropping in a 3.0L Cummins, Nissan, or Banks power diesel v6 engine under the hood. Currently I have the bone stock 3.0L v6 with mild cam and timing adjustments done, and also a custom out of the hood cold air intake setup. Hopefully tonight ill be able to attach those images to this post also to give you an idea of my rig. But for now, farewell, and happy 4wheelin.

• Like 1

Hello Cory! Welcome to NPORA, and thanks for the intro.

How deep is the snow right now? When it is gone, I plan to come up for a camping trip... :D

You need to talk to Steeevo over at Rugged Rocks, he has all the info and most of the parts you need. Great guy, has a Pathy that makes everyone jealous and even spent some time in Tahoe IIRC. For now just stick with the VG (maybe go with a VG43?); proper axles, gearing and tire size will make it work and it is an extremely reliable motor...

B

The snow is gone now, last night actually, I found a pretty decent place to go wheelin and got stuck!! Made it out a couple pulls later, but thanks for the info ill look him up, and I was wanting to go with a diesel for the power, and because there's no smog here, and full widths to have a sturdier track and have less of a chance for being too top heavy around corners when its lifted, any suggestions for gearing with having 38s?? Or perhaps I should be posting topics separately in the appropriate locations??

The snow is gone already? Oh crap, I hope its not a drought year. We depend on that snow pack, or at least farking LA basin does....

I understand the power thing, but consider that you might not always be there or that laws might be implimented. A VG33 or VG34 build can do quite well in the performance departemnt, and there is enough info here to help you understand or build. Just saying...

Nothing against full width, but how tall do you plan to go. It seems that articulation is more effective than sheer lift, and lift is more determoined by clearance for the articulation. ;)

Yes, you will get better exposure/answers in other sections, this is really just for newbs to say hi. I highly recommend you go to the Hardcore/custom fab section and do some reading first, there is a wealth of info and it is amazing that some people have done. Yes, definitely check out the parts/info at Rugged Rocks and the forum there as well.

B

By snow gone I mean around town and the few places to go wheeling, there's still tons on the mountains for now and its supposed to snow in a few days again too hopefully. I checked out rugged rocks, and the prices are pretty steep. I made an accound and waiting on validation. Thanks for the warm welcome to the site, ill try and get some pictures posted up as soon as I can take them hopefully the sun will be out tomorrow and I can snap a few

Hey Cory!

Im from the bay area but I used to live in SLT. I go up there like every other weekend shredding at Heavenly. Glad to see more NorCal people sprouting up! When I lived there, I was constantly looking for places to wheel. More so some doable yet challenging trails. But most seemed too extreme or too easy where a car could get through. But I like Sawmill Pond. That trail was really fun to drive and close by. Hope to see you around some day!

Welcome!

Hey,bud I and from bay area but now transplanted to IOWA but spent a lot of time in tahoe had place in incline village and also like enjoi 408 was out shredding heavenly,northstar,you name it I was ski-ing it.Lots of 4-wheeling spots I wish you luck on your projects and welcome to NPORA.

heres some pics i went out and snapped just now, y'all are gonna get a kick out of my rain bucket, but i took it off so y'all can see my purdy filter haha

IMAG0249_zps04269853.jpg

IMAG0248_zps14455c03.jpgIMAG0253_zpse5af1107.jpgIMAG0252_zps8054fad3.jpgIMAG0251_zps38241659.jpgIMAG0250_zpsc3fbb422.jpg

I have never used this site before, I just got the pathy a few months back ironically from a dude named cory, he resides in a town around 100 miles away called grass valley I think?? The bastard made me take the trip all the way there and left me with no gas to get back here so I had to fork out the money for the trip both ways. I was surprised with the great running motor, the guy sure kept up on the rig though, but I didn't like the two tone gray and black, the solid black is much easier on the eyes I think, and the motor liked to get a bit warm when climbing hills for awhile so I got the idea for the filter on the hood. So far so good, no hot engine this far.

Trogdor, on my windshield is a sticker "j&m off-road" that I picked up from a 4x4 place when I got the rig down the hill in that @!*% hole town. Red windshield wipers from AutoZone, some dual bladed ones, they were like $10 each so I thought it would be ok for a few months. Both I chose so they'd match my red cone filter on the hood.

Well, it is a totally different IP address, but the name style is definitely the same too, Cory74700 to 69cory420. Maybe Cory moved... :shrug:

Tell me, does the pathy have some custom gearing and an uncle modded computer chip, getting 30mpg on the freeway? Was the Cory you bought the truck from a complete tool like he was when he got laughed out of here?

B

The bastard made me take the trip all the way there and left me with no gas to get back here so I had to fork out the money for the trip both ways.

Wait, the previous owner of a used vehicle is supposed to pay gas for your ride home? Man, I got hosed too.

Kinda weird, y'all never even inquired about where I'm from, and so quick to make rubbish remarks, assuming someone else's identity is the same as mine, I see where this is going, I thought I'd come here for help and advice. The terms and conditions kinda said this was a family friendly place, and to not disrespect others, I guess none of y'all read them before checking the box agreeing to them? Real mature people on this site I see... Also a big throw off was the face book idea thrown out, I haven't had a face book for over 3 years.

Edited by 69cory420

Trogdor, by no fuel left, most would assume if paying several hundred dollars for a vehicle that the previous owner would have the decency to leave somewhere in the range of 1/4 tank, the gauge was below E, and precise, he did claim some outstanding features added, the only thing that I found to be true was 4 degrees advanced ignition timing, which apparently raises hp slightly and supposed fuel mileage as well? Not sure how, but I fixed it before I left, put $20 in the tank at $3.87 a gallon, and left on 1/3 of a tank, which was about 1/8th above 1/4 and arrived in Tahoe with 1/4 tank even, so the fuel economy seems pretty well and the 110 mile trip having nearly 5 gallons in the tank did better than I expected. Maybe his fuel efficiency claims are accurate, put a few dollars here and there in the tank and I can go for quite awhile. But I won't make any claims as outrageous as 30-35 miles per gallon, maybe 20-21 tops downhill or on flat ground, also he claimed to have regeared the tranny and differentials, allowing it to do some outrageous speeds, from what I can tell, they have been tinkered with, but nowhere nearing his claim of a 188top speed, this brick on wheels would take off. I did manage to spike the speedometer and still have a little room to go, then I don't know how accurate the speedometer is either as the tyres are 2 sizes larger than the door sticker says.