'88 Pathfinder Owner in Northern California

Cory74700

So I've been using this site for about just over a month now and someone suggested I head over here and introduce myself. I totally spaced out, but better late than never right??

So here we go.

My name is Cory DeLaughter, I live in a very small town called Grass Valley, here in the sunny state of California. I'm 19 years old, and I currently work at a local smoothie place called Jamba Juice, part time, while looking for more work. I'm pretty capable of doing anything i need to to be able to keep myself on the road and driving safely, from engine work to suspension work to custom fabricating parts for performance. I drive a black and gray 1988 Nissan Pathfinder XE 5-speed with a VG30i TBI engine. I've owned it since November of 2011, got it with 205,xxx miles on the tach. She now sits comfortably at 320,xxx and is my daily driver to and from work, and during a lot of my off-road adventures, while unbelievably getting anywhere from 25-30mpg hwy, 16-20 city. As with working part-time, I'm on quite a budget, but after slowly but surely, I'm planning to either SAS it, or do a full front and rear independent suspension. but thats to talk about another time in another topic. Also I'm hoping to get close to 450hp out of this motor, and a glossy black paint job with bright orange accents in the theme of Monster Energy.

Well anyway there's my short story of me, and what I drive. I'll edit this post at a later time adding pictures of my Pathfinder, and possibly myself, just so as to get an idea.

Welcome. Im sort of up the way a bit in Redding....

You drove 100k in a year? Do you work at Jamba Juice in Seattle? Good lord.

nice i go to redding every year for the NHRDA. and no i travel a lot ive driven to new york and back and colorado a few times and phoenix and las vegas. i just like to drive haha.

I'm right down the hill from you. Welcome!

thanks for the welcome, and what town?? cuz id like to associate with more pathfinder owners around the area, maybe set up a day to go out and do some 4-wheeling.

:welcome: I don't think anybody's done an IRS yet (one guy's been talking about trying it) but there are lots of SAS projects on here.

25-30mpg hwy, 16-20 city

Are you sure it's got the stock tire size? I'm not sure mine would top 20 if I pushed it!

No my tires are slightly larger with a way higher gear ratio. I'm running 235/75/r15 front and rear with a 5.13 gear ratio in the rear. That allowed for higher top speed at a way lower rpm. Faster at lower rpms means better fuel economy. If any of y'all are familiar with California, here's an example. I can drive from my town of grass valley, all the way to Petaluma and back home on a quarter tank, driving at 75mph, 5th gear the whole way at 1700rpms that averaged me about 38 mpg that was my highest, right after an oil change, New plugs and wires, and a fresh repacking of my wheel bearings along with new transfer case oil, front and rear diff oil, and tranny oil too, so I had zero restriction for that trip. I myself was amazed with the fuel economy after nissans ratings of 15-17mpg. Also I did my own little test, I filled my tank and zeroed out my trip gauge, by the time it was empty the trip gauge was at 593 averaging about 29.5 mpg and that included some city driving too

i drive my pathfinder a LOT. and the best fuel economy ive ever gotten was driving at 52mph after a tuneup down hill with a tailwind... got 22mpg. i drove as efficiently as possible in town and got 15... you get better mpg than my spectrum. (geo metro)

It's about to go for @!*% when I convert my vg30i block to diesel but diesel means more power to plow through snow, crawl up hills, through mud and the ever so often when someone tries to revv their engineat a red light haha

No my tires are slightly larger with a way higher gear ratio. I'm running 235/75/r15 front and rear with a 5.13 gear ratio in the rear. That allowed for higher top speed at a way lower rpm. Faster at lower rpms means better fuel economy. If any of y'all are familiar with California, here's an example. I can drive from my town of grass valley, all the way to Petaluma and back home on a quarter tank, driving at 75mph, 5th gear the whole way at 1700rpms that averaged me about 38 mpg that was my highest, right after an oil change, New plugs and wires, and a fresh repacking of my wheel bearings along with new transfer case oil, front and rear diff oil, and tranny oil too, so I had zero restriction for that trip. I myself was amazed with the fuel economy after nissans ratings of 15-17mpg. Also I did my own little test, I filled my tank and zeroed out my trip gauge, by the time it was empty the trip gauge was at 593 averaging about 29.5 mpg and that included some city driving too

Welcome to the forum man.

I need to point something out though. If you have 5.13s in the rear with 235s, your RPMs will be sky high. You have the ratios backwards, a higher numerical number is a lower gear ratio which means the engine turns more revolutions to one turn of the rear. Lower numerical number is a higher gear ratio.

These came stock with either 4.37s or 4.63s. Did you have the diffs shipped here from outside the US? Stock tire size was either 235/75/15s or 31x10.50x15s.

As far as converting the block to diesel, good luck with that... It'd cost a fortune if even possible, which is doubtful, so you're better off swapping a Nissan TDI in.

I've gotten 23.87MPG out of my '88 TBI with 31s before. It was pretty weird being as I only could average 20-21MPG on the highway.

I didn't mean 5.13 I think that number was stuck in my head from reading a forum about upping the tires to 33s and that ratio would put the rpms back, my gear ratio is definitely lower, because my top speed at 5,700rpms is 165mph that was tested on a dyno though and I also was pulling 195 hp 260 lb ft of torque for if you guys are curious, and I had a kit installed to match the tire speed to my spedometer, then it broke so I learned to go by the rpms. And I got my fuel economy tested down near san fransisco on their track driving at varying speeds stopping and going, and flooring it and holding steady at high way and freeway speeds the max I got was 38.26mpg and that was at freeway speeds constant rpms, and not letting off the gas until the test was over.

Edited by Cory74700

215-65-r15 factory size on a 4x pathfinder? No offence but I wanna see that door tag. Scratch that, I wanna see a 4x wd21 on stock suspension with those mounted up! :lol:

And welcome to NPORA!

And also my stock tires were 215/65/r15 or that's what Nissan claimed when I went to the dealer and got a full printout of my pathfinders history.

This isn't the first pathfinder I've heard of that came with 215/65/r15. There was another member on here that claimed the same thing. I believe maybe it was a Canadian model, he even posted the door sticker. If I remember correctly the Axle code was still HG43 though, which if you throw on 235/75/r15 it's the same as the other stock models, so the mileage still seems kind of crazy. Wish I could get mileage like that.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/34383-a-ring-pinion-question/

Agreed^ Someone recently posted with that tire size and proved it (can't remember where right now) so it is possible, if unfortunate. I don't buy the MPG though unless it was on a flatbed. :D

B

Sorry, the tire size was 215/75/15, not 215/65/15. I read too fast...

Edited by Precise1