Do I have an LSD?

brandon99

I just bought my 91 pathfinder XE V6 5speed. How do I tell if i have an LSD or not? And if i dont would I be better off with an aftermarket LSD or a locker? I cant afford a selectable by the way. Any helps appreciated.

Easiest thing to do is clear off the grease/mud/crud/dirt etc off the rear pumpkin. Look for a orange sticker. It should say use only LSD oil or something of that nature.They damn near last forever so chances are its still on there.

Edited by Trogdor636

I say do the mud test: Go find some mud and go through in 2wd, if you can feel both tires pushing the whole time, you've got lsd! Another way to maybe get an idea is accelerate hard going through a turn, like say leaving a parking lot and turning onto a road, if your tires chirp, you have an lsd, because if they don't chirp, that means the inside and outside tires are turning at different speeds.

I'd guess you didn't search...

Sticker, ruts or jack it up and spin a rear wheel. If the other spins the opposite way, you have an open diff.

I do not know of an aftermarket LSD (the factory is pretty good, better in the later years 94 or 95 IIRC). What do you use the Pathy for? A locker is not always the best option...

B

Burnout on gravel? I've punched mine in corners but I've never gotten a chirp out of it. The only way I've heard of the LSD sticker coming off involve a wire wheel.

And yeah, locker or not really depends on what you do with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so no LSD... Dang... so after a little reading this time, I have concluded that I want a mechanical locker in the rear and sometime down the road a selectable up front. So can anyone let me know some ideas on a cheap or used mechanical locker for the my non LSD rear diff.

Thanks James, that seems like my best choice. So now I am thinking about the fronts cheapest mod... is the LSD from the 300sx my best choice till a selectable is in my price range?

This depends on a few things. How much are you willing to pay for a used 300zx LSD? I hear they don't often come cheap. Can you even find one? Are you going to be installing these carriers yourself or paying someone else to do it. To me it doesn't make sense to do the same job twice, especially if you're paying someone else to do the install. If you're end goal is a selectable locker up front, I would run the open front end until you can afford to put the selectable in. In the end it'll likely save you time and money.....but that's just my opinion.

Your opinion makes sense, i assumed they were easy to get, i dont know why thinking about it now. So yeah im doing the work myself, but dont want to do more than i have to, will just a lockrite in the rear going to give my enough fun till I can lock the front?

I've got two years wheeling with a lockrite/open setup. In the dry or snow it's awesome. Slick mud it is a little limited. Just lock the rear, get a decent tire and wheel it. Then see if you really need to upgrade the front.