Is there an adjustment for the LSV? to compensate for the lift?

stioc

I've read on non-Pathfinder forums when lifting say a Land Cruiser you need to adjust the LSV which supposedly works the rear brakes by determining how much load is on the rear tires. It determines the load by the length of a linkage rod.

<google google>

Ha! look what I found: http://www.4x4parts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=605865

Edited by stioc

A month ago I adjusted the 'star-wheel' on the rear brakes (to improve the overall braking)- after that adjustment my parking brake is set on just one click (as opposed to me pulling it up 4 or 5 click). However, the braking is still ineffective so I'm banking on the LSV adjustment to make the rear brakes work just a tad harder whenI push the brake pedal. Not sure if anyone else has adjusted their's after the lift and if it made a difference?

The service manual does not say exactly how to adjust rear drum shoes, it just says to "adjust" them. I don't know the adjustment procedure, I've heard different things about it. I think the most accepted procedure is to tighten the shoes, then back them off a bit until there is a very slight drag.

Right, when I said I adjusted the star-wheels I meant I adjusted my brake shoes because to adjust them you have to rotate the star-wheels in each drum.

What I'm going to check and adjust next is the LSV spring. The manual is not very clear but I think I got the gist of how to do it. We shall see.

I think you adjust the stopper on the LSV to be barely touching the lever once the vehicle is loaded as you usually drive it. Wheels have o be on the ground and someone in the driver seat.

Not sure how this interacts with the lift but the adjustment should be the same. I'll try mine later today and report on it.

I think that's a really good post XPLORx4.

The spring bracket location was not usable after my last lift so I used some small gauge bailing wire and tried to simulate a heavy load for the LSV valve/stopper (because it felt like my front brakes were doing ALL the work, not just most of it).

2011-04-17_14-58-03_188.jpg

I've adjusted it twice based on how it affected braking on snow/ice and think I have it fairly dialed in. Again, not very scientific method, I think XPLOR has it right.

Thanks guys!

Rick13, correct me if I'm wrong but the idea behind how LSV functions is that the more the spring is "stretched" the less load (in the trunk) is assumed and thus less rear braking force is applied and vice-versa? So to use more of the rear braking we would want the spring to not be too stretched? However, from your pic above (genius btw) it seems you've stretched the spring. Maybe my thinking is backwards but looking at the FSM page xlorx4 posted above more load should relieve tension on the spring...I think?

What about getting a longer spring that has the same spring rate (tension) so you don't have to extend any mount or bracket.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea if you ever wanted to sell the pathy. Just swap the springs. (in the event the new owner didn't want the lift)

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123
  • Like 1

Stoic, I honestly didn't grasp what was happening until I sat under my truck for 10 minutes. Even then, I remember thinking what I was doing felt backwards. My simple thought was that I wanted the valve to be "more open" to allow more fluid/pressure to be applied to the rear brakes and when my suspension was stock, this meant that the spring was stretched more.

So, from my admittedly weak understanding of this system, that meant more tension on the spring that pulls the arm that opens the valve.

• Like 1