95 nissan pathfinder door lights stay on.

fearkobe

my borther inlaw has my old pathy and now the door lights stay on. the passenger door switch is kinda busted and makes the floor lights stay on. also on the rear hatch the ajar light is on due to that rubber missing on that hook where the hatch latches on too. will that rubber thats missing on that hook make the ajar light stay on? thanks

If the missing rubber means the switch isn't getting pushed in all the way, yeah, that'll keep the lights on. New rubber or some kind of shim should sort the problem. (Or just unplug the switch, but then those doors will no longer trigger the light.)

I tried washers, adjusting the latch and wrapping tape on the catch and still had the lights come on around corners. I just unplugged the hatch switch. If I need light when I open the hatch, I'll just turn it on by hand.

As for the door switches, those are easy "pocket parts" at the j-yard. Keep those working, the floor lights don't have a separate switch and will kill a battery if left on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I searched for a thread with pics and came up empty. Its dark here so I cant help you with pics, but I'll do a step by step....

Open your rear hatch. On the floor will be your hatch striker/catch, its held in by 2 bolts. They are either 10 or 12mm I believe, but either way, take both bolts out. Find 2 washers that the bolts fit into, and install those UNDER the striker/catch, so when you place the striker/catch back on the floor, you are basically raising it up slightly. Now reinstall the 2 bolts, but dont tighten them down yet, just get them snug. First bring the hatch down and eyeball it so you know the latch will line up with the striker/catch, and then shut the door. Did the lights go off? Good! Success! If they didnt, repeat the process adding another set of washers, reinstall the striker/catch, and try again. I had to add 2 washers per side, but others have added 1, some more. I'm going to guess if you are at 4 or 5 washers per side, this isnt your problem.

If you still need pics I can probably take a couple tomorrow, I need to clean out my cargo area a bit anyway.

There is a hatch light on the cluster? Not to my knowledge....the door open warning on the cluster light stays on with the hatch open....

The switch itself is inside the latch, inside the belly of the hatch, which is why its easier to just shim the striker up. If it was a simple switch like the ones on the 4 doors themselves, it'd be easier to deal with.

Edited by Trogdor636

• 3 years later...

I had the same door ajar light problem. I added a couple of washers to both bolts on the hatch latch. Didn't work. Added a couple more washers, going right to the limit of how many washers you can have and still have enough exposed thread on the bolts for them to reattach. And it worked!

So I guess my tip would that washers are not all the same thickness. You want to boost your latch by about 3/16" to 1/4".