Reverse decent brake override -.-

4doordrift

Why did Nissan put this feature in and how can I disengage it? I have a had a few situations going up an incline that's to slippery or steep, and as my 02, r50 starts rolling back down the brake pedal gets overridden and can not be depressed. I have almost hit trees and other vehicles because of this and I did it very unsafe. Has anyone else experienced this?

That doesn't sound like a "feature" that's included in the R50. I've never heard of something called "Reverse Descent Brake Override".

You driving an automatic or manual? If you've got an auto tranny, and your truck rolls backwards while still in "D", the engine may stall and you will lose power brakes. Don't let the truck roll backwards if your transmission is in any forward gear.

I'm

Not saying that's what the feature is called. I'm

Just trying to describe what happens. I have a manual, like I said its not a loss of power brakes, the brake pedal literally cannot be depressed at all when this happens, no matter how much force. If it was a loss of power brakes the pedal could still be depressed and the brakes could still be engaged.

It's so weird and really unsafe.. I can't really put it into reverse because I'm already rolling back and It difficult to shift it into R while rolling already. Normally it's in gear and I depress the clutch when it happens, sometime

I'll be in N. my hand brake is @!*% I've been meaning to adjust it for a mo th or two. It's first on the list when I get back from Nicaragua in a week.

Does it feel like pressing the brake with the engine off, or is it just legit jammed up? I don't see anything about a mechanical pedal stopper in the FSM, and IMO Nissan would've been on drugs to install something like that. You might be able to rule ABS in or out by pulling its fuse and then testing it. If a valve or something is jamming closed, that could be what's locking up the pedal.

Weird. Do some experiments:

Go get a buddy, drive to an empty parking lot with no obstacles, or a place with lots of space on level ground where you'll have minimal chance of losing control of the truck or crashing into something and report the results of each test with regard to how the brake responds.

(All tests require engine to be running before test begins.)

Test 1:

From a dead stop, depress clutch, engage reverse gear, release clutch and brake and accelerate to a walking pace in reverse. Do not depress clutch (i.e go ahead and let the engine start to stall) as you depress the brake. What happens?

Test 2:

Same as test1, except this time depress clutch while you brake. What happens?

Test 3:

Ask your buddy to prepare to push the car backward. From a dead stop, depress clutch, engage 1st gear and release brake. Keep clutch depressed. Ask your buddy to start pushing. Get up to a walking pace if possible. Depress brake. What happens?

Test 4:
Ask your buddy to prepare to push the car backward. From a dead stop, depress clutch, engage Neutral and release brake. Keep clutch depressed. Ask your buddy to start pushing. Get up to a walking pace if possible. Depress brake. What happens?

Test 5:
Ask your buddy to prepare to push the car backward. From a dead stop, depress clutch, shift to Neutral and release brake and clutch. Ask your buddy to start pushing. Get up to a walking pace if possible. Depress brake. What happens?

In any test, if brake fails to stop the vehicle, engage parking brake. If that fails, maintain control of the vehicle and allow vehicle to coast to a stop. For safety, do not exceed 5mph in either direction during any of the tests.