Gaping the spark plugs?

jdubs12

So I recently put in spark plugs in an attempt to restore some power and it didnt work (o2 sensor was a bust too) and my friend said I should have gaped them... Now I know someone wants to explain this to me haha

Every plug should be gapped before installing. The little hook on the end needs to have a certain gap between it and the electrode nipple thing under it. I did have a Nissan truck where it did help once I gapped the plugs. I know my NGK plugs that I get from the store are way off. You have prob seen the tool to gap it with at the parts store and never realized it. There really cheap and it doesn't take any time to do it before installing.

Also, you can usually get a cheap measurement tool at a parts store.

Unless the gap is way off though, I don't think you'll notice a big difference in power.

It seems like you may be shooting in the dark here - have you done any diagnostic work to get to the root of the problem?

Every plug should be gapped before installing. The little hook on the end needs to have a certain gap between it and the electrode nipple thing under it. I did have a Nissan truck where it did help once I gapped the plugs. I know my NGK plugs that I get from the store are way off. You have prob seen the tool to gap it with at the parts store and never realized it. There really cheap and it doesn't take any time to do it before installing.

No. Some platinum and all iridium plugs have a delicate electrode with a critical coating that you don't want to damage so unless you can check it visually (microscope), leave it alone. Shoving gauges in and out isn't an option, but I have never seen high end plugs be out of range.

I highly recommend NGK plugs, they work well and aren't expensive. All of their plugs for the 1995 Pathfinder list a .032" gap and the 1995 FSM says .031-.035".

B