Running IPF 820H Headlight Housings

Tungsten

Here we go... This is just the low beams. No auxiliary lights or fog lights were used in this photo.

295406_10151264941704075_532428368_n.jpg

Mind the dirty window... :blush:

Edited by Tungsten

Just noticed, why did you mount the relays on the drivers side of the truck? I always try to keep the relay (s) close to the battery so the power wire from the battery to the relay is as short as possible, probably not much loss by installing them on the Drivers side but the purpose of using the relay (s) is to eliminate any loss that the OEM wiring would add.

Just how I do relays, of course it's your truck.

Won a pair of the Hella headlights on E-bay today. They are ECE model for right hand drive, so should be ok for the US.

Clutter reduction. I have my electric fan relay set up there on the passenger side. I measured the voltage drop and resistance and it was about 0.2v drop so it does not make a difference. The wiring gauge was good enough for me to mount the relays next to the airbox.

• 2 weeks later...

right hand drive I believe would make them european spec. as our vehicles are left hand drive? perhaps they mean driving on the right hand side?

Hella makes a good housing, I would recommend.

I don't recommend running the 100w high's for an extended period of time unless you have a relay harness.

Same bulbs I had when I had the Hella's in my old Hardbody.

In the FSM it states the wattage for a conventional bulb is 65/55 but for a halogen it says 65/35

H4 spec is 60/55

Newer bulb designs should be 65/55

9004s are 65/45 and halogen sealed beam is 65/35

How did you wire your new headlight harness with the relay's? I saw something on the Daniel Stern site about some Japanese cars use ground switching or something like that when switching between high and low beams. Did you ground the headlights to the chassis? or back to the relay?

It's wired to be switched at the hot side. The grounding is directly to the battery. I hooked them up exactly like 9004s just with different connectors. I know the H4 calls for a common +12v and 2 grounds but it will work as a 9004 too with a common ground and 2 +12v connections. The reason this works is that electricity will flow either way through a filament since there is no polarity.

9004vs9007bulb.jpg

303768_10150275886604075_2479839_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

:lmao: Impressive, would you also be able to take a picture of your lights down a dark road, low beam and high.

Here you go:

388759_10151408801974075_1170855559_n.jp

408096_10151408801999075_1085162409_n.jp

Now I took these with my phone so they are not exactly the best exposure and quality. The phone only picked up the most contrasted sections. It should give you a good indication over what area they light up the most though.

I currently have a 95 HB sitting in my yard with a toasted AT. May just have to pull the grille, marker and headlights off of it and put them on my 93 Pathy. Get me some good upgraded lenses and wohoo can finally see good.

James

• Like 1

• 9 years later...