Anyone lift the whole body off the frame?

Has anyone lifted the whole body off the frame and rolled the chassis out of under it with complete engine/trans attached? Any tips you can give me? any idea how much it weighs? Not sure of the method I plan on using to do this. I have exposed steel trusses in my shop. So I questioned whether they would be strong enough to support the weight of while body. I have plenty of floor space so I could always lift it from the floor with jacks....

Thoughts and idea please.

I need to lift it high enough to clear the engine and roll the chassis out of under it so I can do some work to it.

I know a couple people here (I cant remember usernames right now, but I'll search some) who have body swapped due to rollovers or the likes. I swear I remember seeing a pic of a body on 55 gallon drums by one of them too. My search begins!

Yea some guy in norcal did it..they body is prob 500-800 lbs...disconnect vacuum lines/harnesses, brake lines from mc....steering shaft...ac and heater core lines....throttle cables and u should be close to good...

Edited by unccpathfinder
  • Like 1

When I was building my 4dr hardbody I dismounted the pathy cab from its frame. It didn't have a engine or trans but it was a 4x4 with everything thing else there. What I did was jack the body up enuff to slide some steel stock under the cab. One in front and one in rear. Then I used cyinder blocks from home depot to stack under the steel bars. Just slowly work your way up. The blocks are fairly cheap. Just make sure the blocks are far enuff away from the axles. I took the wheels off and set it on the ground and tied my hardbody up to the chassie and slid it out with a jack under it to help roll. Hope this helps. Gotta ask what's your plans? Find another cab to put on your frame or vise versa?

• Like 1

Gotta ask what's your plans? Find another cab to put on your frame or vise versa?

Oh nothing like that. Just going through a bunch of stuff and one of them will be to pull the engine/trans and paint the frame and suspension properly. We have salt on the roads up here. I want to seal everything up and make this thing last as long as possible. Kind of a half assed restoration type thing. Plus roll cage, full custom interior, new paint on the body, new cleaner roof rack, and a few other things. Depends on money. I'm doing it all myself so we'll see how it goes. I'll be starting a build thread once I begin. Waiting for taxes so I can buy my bender and a few other things before I start. Right now I'm just getting my shop ready for the project and making sure I still have room to work on money making jobs without my crap being in the way.

Edited by The_Magicians_Eye

Yeah, there was a guy in the Sacramento area that did a body swap after he rolled it. IIRC they just built a wooden frame around it and lifted the body off. It didn't require that much support. I don't know how beefy your beams are, but tying them together and a few chain hoists would probably do the trick.

B

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I did this a month ago.

Body is raised with the jack. Bricks used as props. Body placed on the profile tube 100x60 millimeters. thickness - 3 mm.

I have some photos, but I can't upload them here.

Sorry for my English :)

You can ask me if You'll have any questions - process is still in my memory

I need to lift it high enough to clear the engine and roll the chassis out of under it so I can do some work to it.

Don't know what all your doing but since your radiator and A/C will be disconnected; you could remove the core support and slide the boddy straight back so you don't have to lift it as high.

• Like 1

This is something I've been thinking about and may just do. I'll see once I start tearing into it. That will be pretty soon. Waiting for tools that I ordered and enough money to do everything I'm planning to do while the body is off without money delays. Don't want my truck to be in pieces for too long. Never know when I may need it.

This is not a big deal to lift the body. All what you need - disconnect all wires from engine, disconnect brake pipes, cooler, steering shaft, and unscrew body clump from the frame. After that - you need to unscrew all body pillows.

That's all.

After that you need the hi jack (very useful thing :)). And you need to do such sequence:
1. rise body from back on some height (I use back beam of the body - it's strong enough)
2. add some bricks or some substrate.
3. rise front part of the body at one of the thresholds. (Maybe it will be easier to remove fenders before.)

..do it iteratively to avoid accident..

I did it alone, and it took's me one full day

• Like 2