What is the Right

William

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased 3 Digital Gauges from Innovative Motorsports:

1. Oil Pressure/Temperature (Engine Oil)

2. Oil Pressure/Temperature (Transmission Oil)

3. Water Temperature/Battery (Coolant / Radiator)

innovate_3852_zpsdf753e8b.jpg

innovate_3853_zpscfcd4282.jpg

I looked up on eBay and found these Aluminum Temperature Sensor Gauge Adapters:

1over8NPTALUMINUM16in40MMRADIATORWATERTE

However, these adapters come in few diameter sizes:

28mm, 32mm, 34mm, 36mm, 38mm, and 40mm

Unfortunately, I don't have my car with me at the moment and was wondering what is the correct diameter size for these adapters to use for each of the Innovative Motorsports gauges above (Water Temp, Engine Oil Temp, Transmission Oil Temp)?

William

Edited by William

I don't have the answer off hand, but first you need to know what thread and sensor length each one is, then you have to determine where/how to install them.

This is probably easiest done off of the oil pressure sensor already installed in the block right by the oil filter. You would want to remove it, install a T with the right fittings on the ends and then install both sensors into that.

The tranny fluid travels to the radiator and back unless you have modified the system (which is recommended). The flex lines have an ID of 10mm IIRC (verify this), so your best bet would be to install the sensor into a T block with barbed fittings on either end and the sensor

This is the only one that could use the adapter that you show. You need to determine what hose you want it on and the ID of that hose.

B

This is the only one that could use the adapter that you show. You need to determine what hose you want it on and the ID of that hose.

B

Thx B,

Do you know by any chance the ID of the OEM Radiator Water hose that I can tap into?

William

You are welcome.

I have a radiator in the yard with hoses on it and I think I have some old spares so I should be able to get you the measurement. What hose would you want it on, the upper or lower one?

B

Thx again :)

I am not sure. Where do you think it fits best? Safest? Upper-side or Lower-side of the Radiator!

I will need to route the cable through the Firewall inside the cabin into the gauge mounted on the driver-side A-Pillar or central dash (haven't decided yet as I will have 6 of these digital gauges to distribute inside the cabin).

William

I would want the temp to read what is coming out of the motor, which should tell you the highest temp the system is at and the closest to block temp. The top bottom hose goes to the thermostat so that would make the bottom top go to the radiator and where I"d put it. Apparently Nissan thinks otherwise That's where Nissan put their sensors...

013.jpg

They put their sensors there in the thermostat metal housing. Maybe you can feed off of that or your sensor is a direct fit? One is for the ECU, the other is for the temp sensor...

B

Edited by Precise1
corrected misinformation

That isn't the thermostat housing where those sensors are.

You could eliminate the sender for the stock gauge and use that port for the aftermarket one.

For the tranny I would use one of these, I had one on my old hardbody, made by Autometer, the part comes with compression fittings to be installed in metal tube but you can replace them and use barb fittings, that is how I had mine:

wlyo2c.jpg

Here is another site I had in my favorites that make the radiator hose adapters:

http://www.nissport.com/catalog/type.asp?EquipmentType=Applications&ProductType=Universal

Edited by ahardb0dy

Thermostat housing is on the lower rad hose..... im pretty sure. the top hose comes right out of the block.

wait, i remember from changing the thermostat. yes the thermostat housing is on the bottom rad hose. in the middle of the engine basically.

Thx B,

Do you know by any chance the ID of the OEM Radiator Water hose that I can tap into?

William

The top hose.

If you use this type of fitting, make sure to clamp it down real good! Use a wide hose clamp if you can.

I don't have the answer off hand, but first you need to know what thread and sensor length each one is, then you have to determine where/how to install them.

This is probably easiest done off of the oil pressure sensor already installed in the block right by the oil filter. You would want to remove it, install a T with the right fittings on the ends and then install both sensors into that.

The tranny fluid travels to the radiator and back unless you have modified the system (which is recommended). The flex lines have an ID of 10mm IIRC (verify this), so your best bet would be to install the sensor into a T block with barbed fittings on either end and the sensor

B

Nissan Motorsports has/had a T adaptor for the oil pressure sensor. Bronze, 1/8 NPT with the correct thread pitch. P/N 25073-RN010

Used it on mine!

IIRC I was less than $10

Nissan Motorsports has/had a T adaptor for the oil pressure sensor. Bronze, 1/8 NPT with the correct thread pitch. P/N 25073-RN010

Used it on mine!

IIRC I was less than $10

Hi Rob.

Do you still have one of these in stock?

William

Thermostat housing is on the lower rad hose..... im pretty sure. the top hose comes right out of the block.

wait, i remember from changing the thermostat. yes the thermostat housing is on the bottom rad hose. in the middle of the engine basically.

Yes, my bad, you are absolutely right. The bottom hose goes to the metal extension tube behind the belts and up to the thermostat housing. I'm not sure what vehicle I was thinking of... :unsure:

B

That isn't the thermostat housing where those sensors are.

You could eliminate the sender for the stock gauge and use that port for the aftermarket one.

For the tranny I would use one of these, I had one on my old hardbody, made by Autometer, the part comes with compression fittings to be installed in metal tube but you can replace them and use barb fittings, that is how I had mine:

wlyo2c.jpg

Here is another site I had in my favorites that make the radiator hose adapters:

http://www.nissport.com/catalog/type.asp?EquipmentType=Applications&ProductType=Universal

Thank you for the Hint and the Link ;)

Do you know which one these WATER TEMPERATURE ADAPTERS fit our Pathfinders?

NS-2050R NISsport Water Temperature Adapter for SE-R/NX/Sentra B13-15
NS-2050Q NISsport Water Temperature Adapter for B15 SE-R, Spec V, Altima
NS-2050S NISsport Water Temperature Adapter for 240SX
NS-2050X NISsport Water Temperature Adapter for 300ZX, Maxima
NS-2050Z NISsport Water Temperature Adapter for 280Z, 280ZX
NS-2050G NISsport Water Temperature Adapter (1 3/8)
NS-2050S NISsport Water Temperature Adapter for Mitsubishi
NS-2050U NISsport Water Temperature Adapter (1 3/8)

William

No idea, but one is listed for a 300ZX and maxima which should have the same variant of a VG30 in them. Hoses are probably the same diameter.

Actually just looked up the upper radiator hose on rockauto.com and every upper hose they sell says they are 1.25" or 31.75 mm

486454_10151003785374075_181436229_n.jpg

The most accurate reading for the coolant temperature is acquired from the upper coolant neck on the return line. This is where you have 2 of the temperature sensors. One for the ECU and one for the dash cluster. I have used the dash cluster sensor for my fan controller when I did the E-fan swap.

418279_10151003786134075_313942644_n.jpg

553708_10151048260679075_1202618308_n.jp

You are welcome.

I have a radiator in the yard with hoses on it and I think I have some old spares so I should be able to get you the measurement. What hose would you want it on, the upper or lower one?

B

B,

You mentioned having an old WD21 radiator with hoses in your backyard. Can you kindly check the ID/OD or the Upper Hose. It seems everyone is convinced that tapping the upper radiator hose with the temperature sensor should give the most accurate reading.

According to ahardb0dy, www.rockauto.com lists the upper hose for the WD21 as a 1.25" or 31.75 mm diameter hose. It will be good to verify that information prior buying the temperature adapter.

Thanks in advance

William

While on the same subject. I came across this T-PIECE OIL PRESSURE AND TEMPERATURE SENDER ADAPTOR on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f1c9898c3

DSC08343_zpsa7c9f262.jpg

It has 1 input and 3 Output ports (each is 1/8 NPT thread). It mounts right on the engine block in place of stock sensor position and allows to mount the stock sensor + my two aftermarket Pressure and Temperature sensors.

All in one unit. What do you think?

William

B,

You mentioned having an old WD21 radiator with hoses in your backyard. Can you kindly check the ID/OD or the Upper Hose. It seems everyone is convinced that tapping the upper radiator hose with the temperature sensor should give the most accurate reading.

According to ahardb0dy, www.rockauto.com lists the upper hose for the WD21 as a 1.25" or 31.75 mm diameter hose. It will be good to verify that information prior buying the temperature adapter.

Thanks in advance

William

Sorry, sometimes you have to remind me; I'm getting old...

I did not find the hose, but measuring the top radiator output, the ID is 1.29" (32.77mm) and the OD is 1.375 (34.93mm). The hose on my truck is basically the same diameter on both ends, 46-47mm OD at the end fitting barbs. The sizes you listed, is that hose ID or fitting OD?

B

And what size was that?

B

B.

like ahardb0dy said, RockAuto.com lists all the upper hose models (different manufacturers) as 1 1/4" ID. Example:

GATES Part # 25251 MoreInfo2.png Flexible Coolant Hose (Standard) Upper; 1 1/4" x 13" Heart.png

What do you think?

William

Yes, that sounds right to me.

Actually just looked up the upper radiator hose on rockauto.com and every upper hose they sell says they are 1.25" or 31.75 mm

Stated on the previous page a week ago.

B