transfer case question, requesting knowledge

p51speed

so My pathy is acting goofy when I punch on the gas while it is in 2 wheel drive , it shifts way to early but it also acts like its bogged down , Now if I manual shift from 1st it goes quite fast and I can push it up into second and then finally drive , it works fine but it should do all this on its own in drive, but here is where im confused out on my dads dirt road , I put it in 4 High and it had the power and shifts correctly and also it did the same in 4 Low when i romped on it it shifts just fine , the problem seems to be in 2 wheel drive only , I already replaced the vaccum modulator for the transmission , so now Im at a loss on what to do .

in other words from a red light it feels like its shifting straight from 1st gear to 3rd gear and than it boggs down ,

the pathy is an automatic by the way , any insight would be appreciated, thanks guys ( and gals )

Actually I think the transfer case may take GL-4 fluid only, Amsoil's vehicle lookup only lists GL-4. I tried to check the 89 D21/WD21 FSM but I couldn't find a recommended/specified lubricant chart, nor can I find the specified fluid in the "changing transfer fluid" section of MA. It's not listed in the "transfer" section either!

I would be surprised if it's a transfer case issue. Everything in the T-case is direct coupled either by chain or gear. I really don't think there are any clutches or mechanisms that would cause the problems that you mention above.

I think you should put in back in 4 hi and drive around for a while (even in the city, just stay off the freeways) to confirm that this only happens in 2WD. Changing fluids is a good start. If it doesn't fix the problem, I would start to look a little more at the auto trans.

Excuse my ignorance as I'm not an auto guy but http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/999-cool-easy-auto-tranny-mod/, talks about torque convertor lock-up. I know this is more applicable to towing and climbing hills, but I wonder if your torque converter is locking up before it should and causing you to go right from 1st to overdrive. Does the truck shift fine after the initial bog down going into 3rd gear, or is it possible that it is going straight to overdrive?

• 2 weeks later...

On my '88 the switch is right on the gear selector. Says "POWER" in big friendly letters.

Power switch off (pushed in), shifts like it would if my grandmother was driving.

Power switch on (released, pulled out, whatever), POWER light on the dash comes on and it shifts at redline. It also will not shift into overdrive and the torque converter will not lock up.

Oddly, and its probably just the way it is. . .if I stomp the gas, back off and then mat it again it drops into power mode until I back off the throttle. Handy for jack rabbit starts in traffic :D

Who doesn't love power mode?

Power mode on my 95 is a switch on the far left of the dash. Do you have the owner's manual to check where (or if) it is on yours?

Flooring it should put it into power mode, so maybe try that, see if it shifts right with your foot to the floor. Not a solution obviously but it might shed light on something else.

• 2 weeks later...
I think you should put in back in 4 hi and drive around for a while (even in the city, just stay off the freeways) to confirm that this only happens in 2WD. Changing fluids is a good start. If it doesn't fix the problem, I would start to look a little more at the auto trans.

This is not a good idea. Our basic 4WD system doesn't allow use on 4x4 on asphalt or concrete. It is not a sophisticated permanent 4x4 and in short, doesn't have what we can we can compare to a back/front differential. ONE wheel MUST skid when needed, else you will experience the scare!!

Read this someone experienced this already:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/33183-wheels-lock-up-when-turning-over-50/

Our old dependable 4x4 systems are intended to be used ONLY off road (ice, sand, mud, dirt).

Philippe.

• Like 1

You are correct.

My manual states "Do not drive on dry hard surface roads in 4-wheel drive. Driving on dry hard surfaces in 4H or 4L May cause unnecessary noise and tire wear. We recommend driving in 2H position under these conditions"

It does't mention equipment failure, however I'm sure if you did this long enough, you might start to experience some problems. All I was suggesting was that the OP will need more than a couple quick starts on a gravel road to accurately diagnose the problem.